News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

carbs?????

Started by aeronca, September 20, 2007, 03:58:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aeronca

carbs #@***#$***@#@#*****. my '95 got some gunk knocked loose in the float bowls and that started this 2 month long ordeal. i cleaned out the junk, and free'd up the floats and stoped the mass fuel leak. but then it wouldnt run right. like it was missing a cylinder. off came the carbs again, and i checked the the jet's and needles and floats again, put it all together, no help. so today they came off again, and i purged all the holes again, and checked the diaphrams which looked good(not great, but not bad). put it together and it runs worse than ever. it idles ok, with an ocasional after fire, but roll the throttle and it just boggs out. what the hell??????? tell me my friends, what do i need???? im thinking new diaphrams,   could this be the fix i need? :cry:
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

Mudhen

I feel your pain...

You did put the airbox all back on, including the caps on the intake snorkle, didn't you?

How about replacing all the little o-rings?  The rubber boots between the intake/carbs and carbs/airbox look ok?  How about the throttle cable setting?  I had mine way too tight and had some issues with it.

Just throwing some stuff out there that I had screwed up before.  I'm a terrible mechanic...
\'96 Steamer

ned37

i doubt if its the diaphragms.  i've had this same problem with mine and each time i pull the carbs, there is a bit of black crud like powder residue laying in the bowl, and the pilot jet is occluded with something (probably some of the black crud)  so i clean out the jets (flush with brake cleaner, push a wire thru it, and reassemble).  i have the stock inline filter insert in place, and a seperate filter in my fuel line as well as the filter in the tank.  where is it coming from?  i'm leaning toward the breakdown of something rubber in the fuel line (o-rings or carb crossfeed lines)  all these filters are of the mesh type and i am considering going to a paper filter to see if that makes a difference.  
did you have anything in your pilot jets?  did you flush out the fuel lines with the bowls off?  everytime i clean mine, it runs great for awhile.
out of curiosity, when was the last time the valves were adjusted?
95 blue steamer
04 husaberg fe650e

cascadetiger

If you have the carbs cleaned and it is still not running right, maybe the problem lies on the ignition side.  

I chased a problem like this on my old Yamaha XS 650.  I went thru the carbs, fuel filter, cleaned the tank over and over again.  I finally sprung for new coils and it ran perfect.

aeronca

well im going to order some new diaphrams(fortunatelythere only $16.00 a pop.) and we'll see if that will fix anything. all the motorheads at work are pretty convinced that this will do it, if not then off to the shop. if this was a cf-6, or cfm-56, or trent 800, or ge-90, or any pratt&whiteny turbin engine i'd be all over it, but a carb mech i 'am not.
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

nightrunner

If the diaphragms were leaking, you should be able to see the hole or crack.  as long as there is no dirt around the lip seal/groove, they should be fine.

You are aware of that tiny lttle fuel filter burried in the fuel line, right?  Lot's of us add an in-line filter below the tank.

Are you sure this is fuel-related?  A few years ago I went to fire mine up after winter hibernation and had similar problems; sputtering, missing, won't idle.   This began a long battle with the carbs, which went on for months and snowballed into jetting them richer.  Turned out I also had a coil that was intermittently failing.  A little forum research and I found posts about steamer coils prone to fail early.  Got it all sorted and love the new jetting (it really was way too lean as well) but it was a pain getting there.   Anyway if it is a coil, I hear there is an aftermarket replacement/upgrade, or you can swap to an on-plug coil from TT-600 which is what I did.

Good luck.
Scott

Seeking adventure and peril

nightrunner

Quote from: "aeronca"if this was a cf-6, or cfm-56, or trent 800, or ge-90, or any pratt&whiteny turbin engine i'd be all over it, but a carb mech i 'am not.

So are these aircaft engines or gas turbines for electricity generation?
Scott

blacktiger

Quote from: "nightrunner"
Quote from: "aeronca"if this was a cf-6, or cfm-56, or trent 800, or ge-90, or any pratt&whiteny turbin engine i'd be all over it, but a carb mech i 'am not.

So are these aircaft engines or gas turbines for electricity generation?

Don't know all of them but the Trent 800 is a Rolls Royce aero engine.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

aeronca

thanks for the info on the coils. i'll have to bring home one of my multi meters and ohm them out.

those were aircraft engine. pretty much all's i see any more are pratts-     jt-8 217's, and cfm-56's. im in maintenance for alaska airlines.
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

Stretch

Speaking of Alaska Airlines, who exactly is this?  :

aeronca

its supposed to be an eskimo, but we all think it looks like bob marley(minus the big joint) :)
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

Stretch

Just a generic eskimo, eh?

Okay.  I thought we all were supposed to recognize him.  :mrgreen:

aeronca

well, i failed. checked float level, and new diaphrams(although it does seem to idle better now), but still boggs out when i roll the throttle past 2500 rpms. so its off to the shop for the bike and into the booze for me. that might not be a bad trade. maybe its time for fuel injection. :cry:
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

cascadetiger

Sorry for the bad news. That's a lot of work not to have it run right.  I was out on mine tonight, it took forever to warm up.  In between running off choke and fully warm, it hesitated a lot.  Are you sure you got it good and warm?

nightrunner

Quote from: "aeronca"well, i failed. checked float level, and new diaphrams(although it does seem to idle better now), but still boggs out when i roll the throttle past 2500 rpms. so its off to the shop for the bike and into the booze for me. that might not be a bad trade. maybe its time for fuel injection. :cry:

Sorry to hear it.  But better to bite the bullet and get to riding again.   Mine used to stumble a bit when rolling on the throttle, and I had to rejet it richer to get that to go away.  My coils ohmed out fine but were still failing intermittently.  High voltage parts can be tricky that way.  

Anyway please let us know what the trouble was so the collective can benefit from the diagnosis.

Cheers
Scott