News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

2006 Tiger questions

Started by skoron, April 22, 2008, 01:54:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skoron

Guys:

Well, despite talking myself out of it earlier this year, I ended up trading in my Steamer on a new/used 2006 Tiger.  It was a dealer demo/service loaner with 3000 miles.  That concerned me but bike seems well cared for by dealer.  However, I have noted two things bothering me and will follow up with dealer but want to check with other owners.

1) I get a small clunk into the handlebars from sharp bumps (ie. driveway entrance).  Steering head bearings are fine.  
2) Getting some mild rough feedback on deceleration and at idle in neutral.  Smooth on accel and idle in gear.

Any feedback or comments welcomed.

thanks,

Skoron
06 Tiger
The ride\'s the thing, travel too fast and you miss the reason.

HockleyBoy

The clunk in front is normal and dosen't cause any problems once you get used to it, there are a few threads on it on this forum I think.

Not sure about the rough feedback, I do get some when the chain is a little loose but ot at idle.

Enjoy the new bike.
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

Stretch

Concur with Hockley regarding the fork 'clunk'.  2005-06 models have slightly different forks than earlier Tigers, and there is a valve in the forks that is quite noisy.  I'd hate to call it 'normal', but it doesn't hurt anything, and there's nothing we can do about it.  :roll:

Regarding Number 2, I think you're feeling two separate sensations...

Tigers for some reason are very sensitive to chain adjustment.  If it's too tight it roars, and if it's too loose it pops and slaps.  I feel a bit of vibration in the intermediate area (where the bike is neither accelerating nor decelerating).  Make sure it's lubed also.

The 'idle in neutral roar' has been brought up before, and you'll find that most bikes here do the same thing.  Mine does as well, with nearly 22,000 on the odo and no problems whatsoever.

skoron

Thanks for the concurrence and information.  I can rest a bit easier.

I will still follow up with my dealer to document.

I think I made the right decision since I have still not warmed up to the look and feel of the newer 07/08.  However, I do miss my Steamer.  Too bad I could not keep both. I hope it goes to a good owner.

Again, thanks.

Skoron
06 Tiger

Stretch

Whining fuel pump, roaring clutch bearings in neutral, chain-driven dual overhead cams with solid valve lifters, chain drive...

I guess the rest of us have gotten used to the cacophony of noises that our bikes make, but to a new owner, everything's strange and possibly destructive.

I've heard it most often from guys who have converted from sportbikes (with lots of tupperware encasing the engine, muffling minute mechanical noises) and Harley guys, who never heard any mechanical noise at all on a HD product because of the violent vibrations and obnoxious pipes.

Old Desert Rat

Or guys like me who have been riding in the dirt so long that my Tiger just purrrrrrs to me!!!!  :D
KTM 400SXC
1974 CR 125
1997 XT 225
1999 Yellow Girly

Stretch

Quote from: "Old Desert Rat"Or guys like me who have been riding in the dirt so long that my Tiger just purrrrrrs to me!!!!  :D

Sech a happy kitteh...

Patrick the Scot

Quote from: "skoron"Guys:

Well, despite talking myself out of it earlier this year, I ended up trading in my Steamer on a new/used 2006 Tiger.  It was a dealer demo/service loaner with 3000 miles.  That concerned me but bike seems well cared for by dealer.  However, I have noted two things bothering me and will follow up with dealer but want to check with other owners.

1) I get a small clunk into the handlebars from sharp bumps (ie. driveway entrance).  Steering head bearings are fine.  
2) Getting some mild rough feedback on deceleration and at idle in neutral.  Smooth on accel and idle in gear.

Any feedback or comments welcomed.

thanks,

Skoron
06 Tiger

Normal and Normal.  Forget about it, and just pin the throttle.

Your bike is not even broken in yet. It will get smoother with age.
"As far back as I can remember... I always wanted to be a gangster" - Good Fellas

Texas Tech Red Raiders - 2008 BIG IIX NCAAF CHAMPS

skoron

I gotta laugh.  

Stretch said
"I guess the rest of us have gotten used to the cacophony of noises that our bikes make, but to a new owner, everything's strange and possibly destructive."

You have to remember I just came off a 97 Tiger and put almost 30,000 miles on it.  Talk a about a cacophony of noises!

I have to admit my new Tiger sounded different and I thank you guys for your feedback.  

Skoron

Stretch

Quote from: "skoron"I just came off a 97 Tiger and put almost 30,000 miles on it.  Talk a about a cacophony of noises!

Yeah, but these are different noises.

"What the hell is that!?!  Ohno ohno ohno ohno ohno..."

Revs engine, clutch in-clutch out, roll-stop, turn heated grips on / off...

:mrgreen: