News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tigger + Datatool S4 + Optimate = charging problem?

Started by sgt-pluck, April 25, 2008, 09:59:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sgt-pluck

This is my first bike with an alarm ( wouldn't normally have one but the bike came with it fitted ).  The previous owner had it garaged all winter so I thought I'd give the battery some juice.  However, I set the alarm to "Winter mode" ( I think ?! ), attached the Optimate and left it overnight, and when I came down this morning the Optimate was still on the orange LED indicating the charge wasn't complete.

Do I need to do anything special with the alarm in order to charge the battery?  Bike is 1 year and 2000 miles old, so I'm assuming the battery is OK.

Cheers,

Pluck

CvPiper

Just leave it doing what its doing, and it will come up green. Sometimes they can take 24 hours de-charging, re chargign and testing so its all done properly when it does says it done.
2005 Tiger 955i, Lucifer Orange
3 Box Luggage
Rider and Pillion Gel Seats
Touring Screen
TOR Can
Scottoiller
Autocom (Work in Progress)

blacktiger

When you say "winter mode", is it beeping every 15 seconds? If so, that will be using some battery charge and may cause the Optimate to show that it's still charging, because it is. Just let the alarm arm itself, then let it charge.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

sgt-pluck

Quote from: "blacktiger"When you say "winter mode", is it beeping every 15 seconds? If so, that will be using some battery charge and may cause the Optimate to show that it's still charging, because it is. Just let the alarm arm itself, then let it charge.

No 'Winter mode' apparently shuts the alarm system down to the point where you can remove the battery, which I did.

To update the situation - I went out for a 400 mile run on saturday, tried to start the bike sunday morning - nothing.  Bought a new battery which charged normally on the Optimate ( so i'm up and running again ) and left the old battery on charge for 24 hours and still got no full charge.  Verdict - 'old' ( as in 1.5 years? ) battery foobarred.  My guess is that being stood at the dealership, and then with the previous owner for months on end with the alarm activated and not being trickle-charged did for the battery.

Pluck