News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Can Stoner be Stopped?

Started by HappyMan, July 12, 2008, 06:51:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HappyMan

If anyone can do it it's Rossi but holy crap Stoner is fast.  I'd sure like to see Vale on that Ducati......

For any of you MotoGP fans that don't already know, it's being aired on CBS and not Speed.  A question was asked on another site..."How soon into the broadcast will they reference NASCAR?"  My guess is within the first two minutes.... :BangHead

As a Rossi fan I hope he does well and I'll tip one back for Colin as well.  8)
Life is hard.  It\'s even harder if you\'re stupid. - John Wayne

Life\'s too short......Let\'s ride! - HappyMan

http://ridedualsport.com

doobie

gerzurgan
06 tiger
stretchatech front guard
h/b crash bars
piaa d/lights
mustang pegs
moorhouse ergo seat

HappyMan

My hats off to Stoner who has proven he isn't JUST riding the fastest bike but is immensly talented.  I'd root for him if I didn't love to see my man Vale win and I'd love to see Edwards do better.  Sorry to see Pedrosa go down the way he did.  He was smokin' and with that kind of a lead I would have thought he'd be more conservative.  Hope he's alright.  GO ROSSI!!!

Chris Canning

I got to meet Stoner through work when he was here in the UK for the GP,he's OK,a no Bullshit kind of kid and his wife,which is a bit of rarity into days day and age,even more impressed after his get off in fridays practice pheww,that he could dust himself down and still get a result.

Haveing been to the Sachsenring,it's a shame the TV flattens the track so much,beleave me it's a real roller coaster.

HappyMan

I agree that Stoner is a class act from what I can see.  He's a young man that seems to have it together.  If he could develop the fun personality that Rossi's got he'll be good for the sport for many years to come.

pit0rz

Quote from: "Chris Canning"...Haveing been to the Sachsenring,it's a shame the TV flattens the track so much,beleave me it's a real roller coaster.
Pre race Colin Edwards did some commentary standing on the last turn before the finish.  To say that left hander is 'uphill' is an understatement!
Steve P.
'03 Tiger - Luci

HappyMan

Got home late Sunday from an incredible trip with my second oldest.  Couldn't watch the race until around midnight.  Fantastic race and I guess the answer to my question is Rossi!!!  Rossi can stop him.  

I was terribly disappointed in Stoner's response to losing.  I thought he'd take it with class and like a man and not whine about how he actually had to race this time.  I thought he was better than that.  I guess his greatest advantage is his speed and the fact that he doesn't have to work to get by anyone.  If we had to pay for the kind of race Stoner wants it would be a boring race and they wouldn't get my money...... :roll:

Chris Canning

I met Stoner a few weeks ago,on a one to one basis,he's a good no bullshit Aussie kid,no he doesn't pull funny faces and pretend to be something he isn't,he got a lesson off Rossi that being the fastest on the track with the best bike doesn't mean your going to win,Rossi had a plan and stuck it to him,Stoner will learn from that,i liked Stoners response,it's not about money or championships,it's about personnel pride,and even at that level comes down to the caveman instinct,there's no room for the 'Jolly Hockey sticks' mentality,it'll take him a few weeks to come to terms with yesterday,heaven help his wife,i bet he's like a Grissly bear today,he'll be back,it's called a learning process.

See Rossi's reaction when he crossed the line,thats the real Valentino Rossi,not the silly smerky face he normally shows.

HappyMan

I'm not sure which interview you are speaking (when speaking of Rossi crossing the line) of but I did not hear any that seemed harsh toward Stoner.  To imply that Rossi's personality is a bit of an act seems a little harsh.  He brings great character to the sport and is a great racer and respects his competitors.  I believe Stoner will be with us for many years to come and will go down in history as one of the greatest but last weekend was a lesson he needed to learn.  It will only make him a better competitor.  He will be very difficult to stop and I predict he will run with number one again next year.

Bixxer Bob

I think the Stoner comments to which some refer were not aired on all networks, for instance,  we had them on BBC in UK but not on Eurosport.  Immediately after the race, he said that Rossi's overtakes, early in the race were way beyond safe, or reasonable and accused Rossi of being dangerous saying Rossie had him on the gravel at one point.  
The BBC commentators had views on this,  firstly Steve Parish - an ex racer himself - said Moto GP is not a knitting competition, it's a tough business.  Charlie Cox, (after re-running the video of Rossi's near off on the Corkcrew, where, still hardly in control,  he took Stoner to the gravel) said that Stoner was unsighted on Rossi's crossing the right-hander on the sand before running Stoner out so probably thought it was deliberate when, in fact, he couldn't help it.  What makes me think Cox could be right is Stoner hardly spoke to Rossi after the race, but was smiling and shook his hand on the podium, possibly after having it explained to him by his crew?  If I was being less kind,  it could have been he'd had a major bollocking from his PR people for the disastrous from-the-hip interview.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Chris Canning

Haveing looked at it again,Stoner got brake tested by Rossi!!,no rules against that,be interesting see Rossi's reaction when Stoner does the same to him,also interesting to see Rossi's tactics at Brno,because the track is far to wide for him to do what he did at Laguna.

HappyMan

Yes, exactly!  I trust Stoner will learn a few things from this and just become a better more agressive rider.  I hope he does as the sport needs more races like the last one.  Rossi took advantage of the short track and breaking.  The Ducati, while faster, couldn't take advantage of long stretches to get past and breaks were a key factor in controling the race.  I don't expect anyone will be able to take advantage of that again for the rest of the season.

ChrisN

I've watched the Laguna race 4 times now and whilst I'd agree the track levelled up the two bikes, the difference was experience and "the will to win" on Rossi's part.

Rossi's had some bad luck in the past at Laguna and he certainly had some good luck this weekend when he barrelled down that corkscrew across the sand!

Something happens to that crazy Harpo Marx look-a-like when he flips his race visor down. It's like he's two different people. He's now secured the psychological advantage over Stoner until Brno. If Rossi can finish ahead of Stoner there, it would be a massive dent in Ducati's hopes of securing the title for a second year.

Whatever happens this season Rossi (with his new 2 year Yamaha deal) will almost certainly go on to win in excess of 100 GPs and become immortal. Having said all this, I still hope Stoner joins him on that pedestal - maybe in ten years time !
Chris

HappyMan

I couldn't have said it better Chris.

Advwannabe

It was a great race and Rossi showed he is a great and determined champion. I'm sure Stoner will learn and maybe one day will be able to be realistically compared to the great man, but that's a few championships away yet!

What I don't get is this continuing undercurrent that Stoner somehow has the 'best bike'? Give the kid a break! Last year when he won, where was the next Ducati? The next guy on Bridgestones? This year, where is is coming second going into the summer break, apart from Rossi, where is the next guy on Bridgestones? the next Ducati?

Fastest bike in a straight line maybe..... the kid is doing an awesome job and despite not being a great champion like Rossi yet, should be given more credit rather than the bike.

Cheers
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180