News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

A Funny thing Happened on the Way to the FORUM . . .

Started by TigerTrax, August 11, 2008, 10:01:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TigerTrax

TIRES!

SO you need some new tires....
How about some Tourance? There are 2 versions: Old and EXP.
The old are getting hard to find .... I guess they are old because the engineers formulated a 'NEW' EXP compound that wears 30% -40% faster, at only 10% higher price: Which mathematically equates to a 50% price increase.... based on mileage!
Latest quote from dealer: $360 + $100 install.  

Wow.... that feels great...... Got any more KY jelly? :lol:

Time for a tire machine!
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

Mustang

Tiger Trax
the tourances are still around I found several places online that still have stock  for $250 a set .

Here's a FYI for ya , Dennis Kirk has Maxxis Presa detour front tires that wear like Iron and behave and handle just like the tourances for $72  the rear presa tire blows though , they only last for 5-6 k  when carrying luggage .
Where in the hell do you take your bike that charges 100 bucks to mount or are you being lazy and just drop off bike and say "put on new rubber "

Dr. Mordo

If Metzeler stops making the Tourance, I am completely done with them.  I have had both the EXP and standard, and I am not liking the EXP at all.

The Presa doesn't look bad though, and that's a great price.  If I wasn't broke I'd buy a pair for later.  Another tire I am considering in the future is the Avon Distanzia.  Not cheap, but they are readily available in a many sizes.  You could also do the Conti Trail Attacks, but they don't look very 'trail' to me.
1999 BMW F650

1996 Tiger

abruzzi

The pre EXPs are still listed here:

http://swmototires.com/

They look closer to $270/set.

Geof

TigerTrax

I just bought the Avon Distanzia..... $240 at SWMOTO.
I really wanted Anakee but he was out of stock on the rear tire size.

Some guys have had good reports on the Distanzias... we'll see if they last 10,000 miles... I'll be happy. ( My Tourance & Anakees both hit 12-13,000 miles.)

JetdocX

Out of stock???  Shite!  I need to buy tires at the beginning of the season so I get what I want. :oops:
From parts unknown.

Old Desert Rat

SwMoto and American Motorcycle Tire were both out of stock on Anakee and Tourance 150/70-17 rears a week ago when I needed new treads, so I purchased some Distanzia's from American Motorcycle Tire.

Not sure why but they were both out of alot of the 150/70 -17 rears for ADV bikes

I'll give feedback on the Distanzia's once I get a more miles on them.
KTM 400SXC
1974 CR 125
1997 XT 225
1999 Yellow Girly

TigerTrax

Tourance is playing games....
the new compound is NOT nearly as long wearing as the old...

I believe they told everyone the old was being discontinued, so there was a rush...  

I think it's BS and the old will be around for quite awhile.

Dr. Mordo

My front EXP does seem to be wearing more quickly than a non-EXP Tourance.
1999 BMW F650

1996 Tiger

abruzzi

Quote from: "Dr. Mordo"My front EXP does seem to be wearing more quickly than a non-EXP Tourance.

Aside from the compound, the EXP has 7.6mm depth on the rear the old ones have 9mm:

Geof

Dr. Mordo

Hmm.  Good point.  OK, lets run the numbers.  2mm remaining is pretty much a worn out tire.

Check my math: 7.6mm - 2mm = 5.6mm of usable tread

I have 5700 miles on my front and have 5mm total tread left, which means 3mm of usable tread.  If I continue to wear them at the same rate, I'll get 10640 miles out of this tire.  Not at all bad, really.
1999 BMW F650

1996 Tiger

TigerTrax

If you are running EXP ...
do us a favor... keep tabs on it's wear and give us your opinion.

Maybe it is a better tire than I have been told... but it appears the higher costs does NOT justify the switch.

We will see some of the 'secondary choices' ..... Like the Avon Distanzia and Pirellis rise to the top. Anakees will probably become even more popular.

cbxtc6

I routinely get ~10k miles from the 'regular' Tourance rear.  My girlfriend had the EXPs put on her 'Strom, and they're cooked at only 5k miles.  
I sure hope the 'regular' ones stay around for awhile.  They're the only ones I got decent miles out of.  Anakees were nice, but shot after 6k.  Heck, I got 7k from a TKC!

Mustang

I've gone thru shitloads of dual sport tires and the non EXP Metzlers are the only ones that even come close to a 10 k tire , every other brand of tire either has bad cupping  on the front after 4-5 k or the rears wear out in 5-6 k .

Doesn't matter if they are Dunlops , Michelins or Pirellis .
I have not tried the new Conti Trail Attacks though . Anyone tried em ?

The Maxxis Presa Detour is supposed to be getting a new rubber compound for longevity , hope so cause the tire works as well or bettr than the old Tourances , and they are cheaper too !. The front tire will way outlast a Tourance , got one on the steamer now that has 12 k on it and will go until inspection time next June  :shock: , can't say the same for the rear Presa though .