News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

DAR Adventures

Started by abruzzi, September 09, 2008, 08:09:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

abruzzi

This past weekend, I pulled the alternator.  The bolt was on nice and tight, but the shaft had a lot of slop in it.  It would move in and out about a quarter inch.  I didn't have time/tools to pull the clutch cover and look at that side, but I figured I ask for anyone who has had the alternator off, is that much slop normal, or is something clearly broken?

Geof

Mustang

Nope should not move , you have a broken bolt on the clutch side , if you pull the clutch cover you will find that the head of the bolt is sheared off and in there somewhere .

If you are good or is it lucky , you can replace the bolt without having to pull the clutch , otherwise you get to pull the clutch and will need a special tool to hold the clutch basket or make your own tool .........

abruzzi

I've ordered the replacement hollow shaft and assorted parts.  I've read that you can push out the old shaft with the new one, which is what I'm going to try to do.

So the special tool for the clutch, is it an alignment tool or a locking tool?  Something like number 19?:

What are the alternatives to the tool? (Putting it in gear and stepping on the brake?)  I'm not too handy at fabricating stuff...

Geof

Mustang

Quote from: "abruzzi"I've ordered the replacement hollow shaft and assorted parts.  I've read that you can push out the old shaft with the new one, which is what I'm going to try to do.

So the special tool for the clutch, is it an alignment tool or a locking tool?  Something like number 19?:

What are the alternatives to the tool? (Putting it in gear and stepping on the brake?)  I'm not too handy at fabricating stuff...

Geof

alternatives are two clutch plates bolted together or get the special tool #19

Dr. Mordo

I'd say two more alternatives are a air gun and compressor, which I think should negate the need for the special tool, or I bought on ebay a clutch holding tool that is a pair of vice grips with long L shaped jaws that clamp into the clutch.  I think it was $20-$30.
1999 BMW F650

1996 Tiger

offtheback

I am in the same boat as you so I will be interested in your repair.  How was your bushing?  Mine was in pieces.  I am going to replace that (when I get it) and ride for a bit then once the snow flies I will tear down the clutch side.  I may be interested in buying your clutch holding tool after you are finished..
Cheers,
Greg

96 Tiger (some farkles)

"It\'s not tragic to die doing what you love!"  Patrick Swaze as Bodie in Point Break