News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tires?

Started by JetdocX, October 08, 2008, 08:10:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JetdocX

OK, Steamer owners.  I know this has been discussed and I have taken my time reading the Tiger tire thread in General.

I just wore out my Anakees and looking to try something different.  I'm leaning toward TKC-80's for knobs but I think I will wear these out very quickly.  I love the TKC's I had on my BMW, so it's still in play, but I'd like to try something different.  I don't want Tourances, because I do take my Tiger in the dirt (about 80-20% mix).

I found the Anakees to be a great road tire and even a pretty good dirt tire when aired down into the mid 20's.

I'm leaning toward trying the Conti Trail attack or Pirelli Scorpion, but this will depend on availability as well, since we are at the end of the usual riding season.

All comments considered.  Thanks. 8)
From parts unknown.

JetdocX

Oh, and at over 10,000 miles, I think I can see the air in the rear Anakee.  I'm surprised I got that kind of mileage out of them. :shock:
From parts unknown.

JetdocX

Scorpion is out.  Wrong sizing.  It's now back to Anakees or TKC's.  TKC's are getting really pricey. :shock:

Anyone have the Conti Trail Attacks?
From parts unknown.

JetdocX

Anyone?  Bueller? :shock:
From parts unknown.

Dr. Mordo

I have looked at the Conti TAs and I suspect they will suck off road.  Large tread blocks with very small spaces between = suck on dirt.

The question is what kind of dirt you ride in.  If it's dirt roads, then any of these tires will be fine.  If you're talking 4x4 trails, the TKC is pretty much the only option.  You're gonna want those knobs.
1999 BMW F650

1996 Tiger

JetdocX

Yeah, but even the guys over on ADVrider are singing the praises of the Trail Attacks.  "Surprisingly great in the dirt" was said more than once.  

I think the Anakees are surprisingly competent in the dirt, too as long as you air down.  

If dirty road performance is the same and on-road performance is better than Anakees, I see no other option but try them.

I think you and I have the only currently running Steamers right now, Dr. Mordo. :lol:  

FWIW, those 10,000+ miles were put on my Steamer since February. :wink:
From parts unknown.

Dr. Mordo

I'm surprised that the ADVers like the TA.  That tire looks like shite to me.  I guess you probly should try them and tell us if they suck.

Wow, that a bunch of miles!  I'm sad to say I've only put 1k on my Steamer, but that is about to go up substantially after I get a functional shock in it.  I've put 13k on my F650 since last December, and the people at work think I'm crazy.
1999 BMW F650

1996 Tiger

Mustang

Quote from: "JetdocX"I think you and I have the only currently running Steamers right now, Dr. Mordo. :lol:  

:wink:

:violent1 I wouldn't be so sure about that  :shock: you may have jinxed yourself now  :ImaPoser

JetdocX

From parts unknown.

DesertDog

TKC80's for the dirty boys.   I have to admit that it is the only tire I have ran on the Steamer but as an offroad tire it is the shit.  Not the best mileage on the rears, I have put just over 13k on the bike since Feb. and I am at the end of my third rear.  averaging just over 4k on the rear and got over 9k on the first front.  Expensive, yes, but have performed great, dirt and pavement.  

With the amount I play in the dirt I can see running anythingelse.

JetdocX

Teeks are still an option, just very expensive when compared to the mileage one would expect from them.

And I've run both and think I prefer the Anakees over the TKC's due to my 80-20 terrain choices.  We really don't see mud here that often, so aired down Anakees usually perform quite good on the dry/dusty desert roads and two-tracks.
From parts unknown.

aeronca

i have pretty much only run perelli's, but  just threw a set of trail wings on and am not to dissapointed. i know the guy's over at adv hate them (at least some of them do), but i really dont see why. i dont think they liked the tread patterns for the smaller rims because depending on the rim size - will determin the tread pattern. but they all agreed that when going off road in mild two track or more, that a tkc up front should be all you need in combo with a decent dualsport tire on the rear. i like the tread block pattern of the trail wings, not to mention the reported milage you get out of them. just my 2cents.
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

cascadetiger

I just put a new Pirelli rear tire on mine a few weeks ago.  It works fine for me.  I was thinking of doing knobbies, but I do too much highway driving.  They do look tough tho.

offtheback

I could not keep up with a friend 2up on a GS w/ TKC's front and rear on the dirt.  I replaced my rear T66 (never again) with a distanzia.  I seriously considering putting the tkc upfront because the spots of gravel/dirt in corners on dirt roads causes me to bring my speed down to painfully slow.  Most of the dirt roads here in Colorado have numerous switchbacks with patches of gravel, sand, dirt.
Cheers,
Greg

96 Tiger (some farkles)

"It\'s not tragic to die doing what you love!"  Patrick Swaze as Bodie in Point Break

JetdocX

OK, still looking for a comparision between Anakees and Trail Attacks....anyone????
From parts unknown.