News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Fairing Repair

Started by EvilBetty, January 21, 2009, 06:15:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EvilBetty

What are the Girly front fairings made of?  Is it fiberglass, or fiber reinforced plastic?

Any particular repair kit recommended?

There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

outrunner

I think the panels are made from ABS, I damaged mine a year ago and welded the cracks with a soldering bolt and filled them and the scratches with Isopon P38 car filler which is very easy to sand and paint.

I don't know if you can get the same product in the States but it is a 2 part polyester material which is probably sold under a different name over there.

Andy.
Every day above ground is a good day!

GatorTiger

Howdy!

When I repainted my bike I got a used fairing with a few cracks in it. Repaired it with this: http://plastex.home.att.net/

Works like a charm!!

Cheers,
HG
Triumph Tiger - The ultimate riding machine! \";-)\"

Know this:  A clean Tiger is a dirty shame!!

EvilBetty

Well it looks like we are going to go ahead trying to repair it.  Paint is expensive though.  I have a pannier lid to paint as well or I would just buy a new one.

3-Stage Paint... $145 total for a pint of the base and perl/metallic.  Buddy already has the primer and clear.

So far it's going to cost me a total of $220 to repair it and paint the pannier and front fairing, not counting the time my buddy is going to put into prep and paint.

If Lucifer Orange pannier lids could be found on eBay I don't think I would go this route.

EvilBetty

It's primer has been applied.  Will be test fitting it Monday before it goes for paint.

Slideshow

Mustang

the repair looks very nice !
you need to buy the man doing the work a beer !

HockleyBoy

Looks good so far, post some pics once the paint is done.
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

EvilBetty

Ugh...  :cry:

This project will not be proceeding past primer.  I don't know for the other colors, but this Lucifer Orange paint is just way too expensive.  To repaint a fairing and a pannier + the necessary test sprays to match the pearl coat, plus the sealer and clear coat was going to run over $450 in materials alone.  And that was with discounted prices from a body shop.

I'm going to have to buy replacement parts if I want the same colors.

If anyone is wanting to paint a color other than this, I'll have a repaired and 2k primed fairing for sale soon.  Anyone have any idea how much such a fairing is worth?

EvilBetty

Well... I went a head and rattle canned it... got sick of looking at primer...

The Kurgan

Did you get the hand guards yet?

I like the black and orange combo.
[size=84]2005 Triumph Tiger 955i (BRG)
-- TOR Can & Tune
-- Dynojet O2 Sensor Bypass
-- Factory Gel Seat, Luggage & Liners
-- Bestem Topbox
-- Bagster Tank bag & Cover
-- R&G Crash Protectors
-- 55w Fog Lights[/size]

EvilBetty

Not yet, but I'm looking forward to getting them on there!

I purposely didn't polish the fairing, because I thought it would look too shiny against the other black components, that and I was afraid if it looked too good it would keep me from shelling out for a new orange one :)

Advwannabe

Well my unsolicited opinion is: that thing looks cool!
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

EvilBetty

Yeah it's growing on me too... if I end up liking it, I'll spring for the $18 of black automotive paint and let my buddy sand it back down, 2k primer it and spray and clear it correctly.

SERadtke

Hey EB,  what did you end up using for the repair? Hopefully I'll have mine in a week or so.
Shawn
<((()))><

Stupid people are PROOF that evolution is a hoax!

TigerTrax

I have a Girkie tank I'll let go for $150.
It has no damaged... just a crummy paint job... right over the
stripes......rattle-can!

$125 u-pay shipping.

PS: This is from an early Girly (nice!) so... verify if it will work
on your year motor/fuel plate, etc, etc, etc.

I also have a 'perfect' black front fender for a Girly.

BTW: Each of the Tiger Ride-In events will have a ONE HOUR SWAP MEET.. bring stuff.. bring trinkets, bring your list!
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'