News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Added Another One To The Stable...... **Updated With Pics**

Started by Tom Herold, May 06, 2009, 03:17:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Herold

I was looking through craigslist checking for deals, bits and pieces, and ran across an ad for a 96 Trophy 1200.  Out of pure curiousity I contacted the seller and arranged a time to check it out.

The Trophy 1200 was my bike of choice when I was looking for a replacement for my Sprint ST when I came across the TigerTriple web site and started looking into the 955i Tiger as another option.  I found a good Tiger before I found a Trophy, bought it and have been happy ever since..... but the lingering question has always been there; what would a Trophy be like?

My wife's unhappy glare followed me as I left, I headed over to the seller's house and see the bike on a battery charger with no license plate. It's clean, not dusty, and partially burried in the very full garage. He tells me he's the second owner, bought the bike back in June to learn how to ride, but a friend of his was injured in a bike accident a week or so later and it scared him out of his desire, so it's sat until now.

I inspected everything as best I could, put half a gallon of gas in the tank, primed the engine and fired it off.  It ran, but very rough, so the carbs will need some attention and a good cleaning. The cables and chain are very dry, but in decent shape, and the Conti Road Attack tires are at about 80%.

The seller was asking $3000, I offered him $2400 and he took it. Even threw in a brand new, still in the box, Scorpion EXO700 helmet, an MRA tall touring windscreen and a battery charger/tender.

A little polish, some cleaning and general maintenance and I have another sport touring machine unlike everything else out there on the road. I figure if I decide I don't like it or need it, I can easily sell it off for what I'm into it and keep the wife happy (is that possible...??) by at least breaking even, if not making a few $$.

Fortunately I have 1700 sq/ft of garage space, a bike lift and lots of left over valve shims from the T-bird, Sprint and Tiger.

That makes 3 Triumphs and 2 Harleys in the garage... is there a cure for this addiction?

Pics to follow after I pick it up on Saturday Morning......
1999 Triumph Trophy 1200
2002 Triumph Sprint ST
2005 Triumph Tiger

"When people believe you to be the fool, why open your mouth and remove all doubt....??"
Gen. George S. Patton

aeronca

RIGHT ON - BROTHER :D
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

sanjoh

Quote from: "Tom Herold"1700 sq/ft of garage space,

:icon_salut

And only 5 bikes?

Congrats.
01 Tiger
00 XR650R
84 VF1K
05 R6

JetdocX

This thread is worthless without pictures! :twisted:
From parts unknown.

Mustang

Quote from: "Tom Herold"That makes 3 Triumphs and 2 Harleys in the garage... is there a cure for this addiction?......

nope it just keeps getting worse , you kid yourself that you are no longer addicted  and you sell a few and then one day b4 you know it the garage is full again .............................

Tom Herold

It's hopeless......

Yes, 1700 sq/ft and only 5 bikes...... a full motorcycle lift...... and a classic Chevy truck under full restoration..... and my 94 Impala SS garage queen/Saturday Night cruiser...... and my wood working shop......

It's a tough life, you should all feel sorry for me..... :P

Pics will follow after I pick it up on Saturday  :thumbsup
1999 Triumph Trophy 1200
2002 Triumph Sprint ST
2005 Triumph Tiger

"When people believe you to be the fool, why open your mouth and remove all doubt....??"
Gen. George S. Patton

HappyMan

Quote from: "Tom Herold"... is there a cure for this addiction?

Yes, death  :roll:

Congrats.  I've always been intrigued by this bike.  I'm anxious to hear what you think of it.
Life is hard.  It\'s even harder if you\'re stupid. - John Wayne

Life\'s too short......Let\'s ride! - HappyMan

http://ridedualsport.com

oxnsox

..... and Charleston ain't a bad place to live either.....  (whether you have a bike or not)
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
  If it ain't Farkled...  don't fix it....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Kurgan

Nice purchase! I was looking at a 1996 Trophy 900 in British Racing Green. I always wanted a Trophy, but well preserved examples are getting harder to find. They are bullet proof motorcycles, and almost as do-it-all as the Tiger.

BTW, my wife is the same way. No cure for it. Just live with it.

My garage is a 1/4 the size and doesn't have any of your creature comforts. You lucky prick.  :P
[size=84]2005 Triumph Tiger 955i (BRG)
-- TOR Can & Tune
-- Dynojet O2 Sensor Bypass
-- Factory Gel Seat, Luggage & Liners
-- Bestem Topbox
-- Bagster Tank bag & Cover
-- R&G Crash Protectors
-- 55w Fog Lights[/size]

Tom Herold

Yes.... it's a burden I carry without reservation...... I love living in Charleston; practically year-round riding. The problem I'm running into is which bike I should ride to work or to the beach...????

Tomorrow's Trophy Day!!!!!  :mrgreen:
1999 Triumph Trophy 1200
2002 Triumph Sprint ST
2005 Triumph Tiger

Gen. George S. Patton

aeronca

you make me sick

:D
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

Tom Herold

You know you still love me!!!

Hey, I'm retired once already and working on my second career, no kids at home, my wife's employed fulltime and enjoying her career, so I'm living the wretched life of excess and my second (third.... maybe fourth...) childhood.

The wife's not neglected in anyway either, so I don't have to listen to her bitchin' at me about my toys. The bonus is she enjoys them too!

You can't take it with you, so why not?
1999 Triumph Trophy 1200
2002 Triumph Sprint ST
2005 Triumph Tiger

Gen. George S. Patton

John Stenhouse

Good man, lucky dog
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Tom Herold

Here she is! No drooling on the paint boys and keep your grubby fingers to yourselves!   :D
1999 Triumph Trophy 1200
2002 Triumph Sprint ST
2005 Triumph Tiger

Gen. George S. Patton

JetdocX

From parts unknown.