News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Either you've done it,

Started by Mudhen, May 09, 2009, 01:57:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mudhen

\'96 Steamer

JetdocX

Sprag clutch?  Dayum!  Were you or where you not just praising your problem-free Steamer?   :?
From parts unknown.

Mudhen

Not my bike (thankfully), just my garage.

Pretty frickin' cool, too...after hearing about it for the last 5 years or so that I've been into Steamers, to finally see what it's all about - awesome!

:lol:

Oh, shite - hope it's not contagious...maybe a little touch of the sprag-flu going around?
\'96 Steamer

JetdocX

Keep that sprag flu the hell away from my garage, please! :lol:
From parts unknown.

aeronca

Quote from: JetdocXKeep that sprag flu the hell away from my garage, please! :lol:

a-frikin-men to that.
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

Dr. Mordo

Awww, it's not that bad.  You just have to disassemble most of the bike...

Honestly, I've spent much more time on the carbs than on the sprag, and I actually did the sprag twice, if you recall.
1999 BMW F650

1996 Tiger

aeronca

hey mudhen, is that you buddy's bike from the off road pics?
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

Mudhen

Quote from: "Dr. Mordo"Honestly, I've spent much more time on the carbs than on the sprag, and I actually did the sprag twice, if you recall.

I definitely don't have that much tolerance for pain.  I remember reading your posts thinking, 'this guy is either a complete nutjob, or just has the patience of a saint'.  My garage is full of projects gone bust - I'll have no problem adding this to the pile if it doesn't go the first time.  (actually, since it's not my bike, I'll just have Zahi haul it away!)

Yes, A - it's Zahi's bike.  He came over a couple weeks ago so we could put in a new airbox and clean up the carbs.  When we were trying to get the fuel to pickup after the work we cranked it a bunch.  It banged pretty good every once in awhile, and then the banging got more and more frequent.  We made a couple frantic calls to Mustang (we're the reason he's going to take his phone number off his website :wink: ) and he gave us the grim diagnosis...

Zahi may chime in here, but I believe the banging was happening every once in awhile BEFORE we touched it, though.  At least, that's what is helping me sleep at night.   :oops:
\'96 Steamer

aeronca

it's stories like this that scared me into buying an agm batree, and to never try and start it with a low charge. once sorted out though, his bike will be on the trail.
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

Mudhen

Quote from: "aeronca"it's stories like this that scared me into buying an agm batree, and to never try and start it with a low charge. once sorted out though, his bike will be on the trail.

A shiver went down my spine when Zahi opened his toolbag up and there was a battery jump-start pack in it...
\'96 Steamer

Sin_Tiger

I am considering a complete rebuild of the 96 I just aquired, I have no service history, had 6 previous owners to my knowledge, I think it's got DAR, I suspect the carbs need an ovehaul, it's done 87k miles.

My question is this, is there anything that can be done to avoid or reduce the likelyhood of sprag clutch failure other than don't try to start with a low battery?
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

JetdocX

Quote from: "Sin_Tiger"My question is this, is there anything that can be done to avoid or reduce the likelyhood of sprag clutch failure other than don't try to start with a low battery?

Does it run?  Does it start?  after 87K miles, it's all gravy to me.  Run that thing into the ground!

How to avoid sprag clutch failure?  Well, if you need to tear it down at 87K you should probably replace it just because it's a lot less work once the engine is already torn down.  If you plan to just ride it, then keep the battery charged and plug it in at night to a battery tender if possible.   Start the bike on choke, no right wrist is usually required.
From parts unknown.

Sin_Tiger

Thanks, problem here is I live 24 floors above the parking and fixing up a chrager/tender in the comunal parking area is not an option.

There is a lot of road between Cambodia and Singapore with little chance of recovery and they rarely see anything other than a Honda cub or a couple of GS's with support truck :roll:

+ I'm an engineer, if it can be f****d with I will want to do it  :lol:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Dr. Mordo

You certainly should replace the sprag while you have the engine out if you don't mind spending the money.  If it's original with 18k miles on it, it could start to go at any moment.

I'm pretty sure that a sprag has a finite number of cranks, and once you exceed that number it dies.  So when something happens that requires a great deal of cranking, like a carb rebuild or ignition problems, you are burning up your sprag at a accelerated rate.  I don't think anything you can do will make it last longer or die faster - it just dies when it has turned over 1 too many times.
1999 BMW F650

1996 Tiger

Mr. Jetmoto

Quote from: "Dr. Mordo"You certainly should replace the sprag while you have the engine out if you don't mind spending the money.  If it's original with 18k miles on it, it could start to go at any moment.

I'm pretty sure that a sprag has a finite number of cranks, and once you exceed that number it dies.  So when something happens that requires a great deal of cranking, like a carb rebuild or ignition problems, you are burning up your sprag at a accelerated rate.  I don't think anything you can do will make it last longer or die faster - it just dies when it has turned over 1 too many times.

Don't say stuff like that man  :lol:

I swear I just shouldn't come to this website because it just makes me paranoid. Though, I did find out about DAR here and have to fix it, so maybe it's justified fear  :shock: