News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Why do my fork gaters look like crap?

Started by doc.card, July 19, 2009, 12:57:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

doc.card

I have a 2005 tiger and the fork gaters look like crap.  I have been looking at pictures on this and other sites and most of the fork gaters look even and and not crunched up like mine.  I bought the bike used and the guy I bought it from said they had been changed out and the dealer told him they all look that way.  The guy I bought it from was
shorter than me and I thought maybe he had the forks lowered to accommodate his shorter legs.  The fork tubes extend above the upper triple tree about an inch.  Is this factory spec and could this effect the gaters?  Any help or input welcomed.  If pictures will help I will try to post one. :?:
2006 Triumph Speedmaster
2005 Tiger

iansoady

Standard is to have the tops of the fork tubes level with the top of the top yoke so the forks have been raised to lower the front end.

I have mine like that and have the same problem with the gaiters but can't be bothered to do anything about it.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

blacktiger

These gaitors might look a bit naff but you got to give triumph their due because mine haven't split in 7 years & 56000 miles.

Make sure they're on straight and not twisted around the stantion a bit top to bottom which would scrunch them a bit.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

doc.card

Thanks for the replies

My front end had been lowered.  I corrected that and slid the fork boots
up on the forks about 0.75 inches.  I also tried to get the seams straight.
this helped a little, but I am afraid the damage has already been done on the looks.  They still do their job.

Thanks
2006 Triumph Speedmaster
2005 Tiger

The Kurgan

Quote from: "blacktiger"These gaitors might look a bit naff but you got to give triumph their due because mine haven't split in 7 years & 56000 miles.

Make sure they're on straight and not twisted around the stantion a bit top to bottom which would scrunch them a bit.

mine look like a pair of soggy pant legs. I just live with the aesthetics as they are doing their job.
[size=84]2005 Triumph Tiger 955i (BRG)
-- TOR Can & Tune
-- Dynojet O2 Sensor Bypass
-- Factory Gel Seat, Luggage & Liners
-- Bestem Topbox
-- Bagster Tank bag & Cover
-- R&G Crash Protectors
-- 55w Fog Lights[/size]

rainycoastguy

Apparently there are BMW rubber gaiters that fit but I don't know which ones.  They would look better though.

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "The Kurgan"....mine look like a pair of soggy pant legs. .....

:ImaPoser

Mine too..... :oops:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

EvilBetty

Mine too... it bugs the crap out of me.  I was an avid mountain biker before and narley gators on suspension bike forks bothered me then too.

I tried popping the kinks out it but it went right back.
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

Sin_Tiger

I think you would have to heat them up while they were "straight" to reset the memory due to the amount of plastic in the material, does that make sense?

Another alternative is to fit the neoprene tube covers secured by cable ties, they work pretty well on my Vara. An even cheaper and easier to fit alternative is to find some of these neoprene seatlbelt protectors that are joined at the back by velcro and cut them to size. Advantage is you don't have to take teh tubes off to fit them and it's easy to remove them for inspection and cleaning. Downside is they don't look quite so neet as the velcro join wrinkles. A few guys our here have done that and it works pretty well although we are not doing any real offroading.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Cos

Would dirt bike gaitors fit? Buy em and cut them to size?

atokad

I like the way the rubber fork gators look, at least on this bike.  I think the problem with the Tiger gators is that they seem too long and kinda bunch up on themselves causing the wrinkles and "dents".