News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

2005 Girly stalling after initial start up

Started by pletdj, September 19, 2009, 03:02:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pletdj

Hi there,
Wondering if someone knows the fix!  My 2005 Girly stalls twice after every initial start up.  Not too sure, but it sounds like starving for fuel?? any and all help is appreciated      :icon_salut
2005 Triumph Tiger
2004 BMW Boxer Cup Replika

EvilBetty

Does it start up fine for a second then choke up and die?  Then start back up and run fine from there on out?

Pull the breather hose off of the stator cover, let me know how much oil drips out  :?

There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

pletdj

Hi there,
I checked this hose this morning, the bike has been sitting for 3 days and there was no sign of oil.  Should i check it after i ride it?
Here are the simptoms again.
Bike starts on first hit of the start button and stumbles for about 2 seconds and dies.  Hit start button again and bike will start and stumble for 6 seconds or so, then dies.  Hit start button again and bike will stumble for about 3 seconds or so, then finally will come up to proper revs and off i go!

Anyone else have this same issue?
2005 Triumph Tiger

Stretch

First, try the Twelve Minute Tune outlined a few posts down here:  http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/msg,43660

If that doesn't do the trick, you may need a fuel map reload.

Mine did the same thing for a few months, and the problem was gone as soon as my dealer re-downloaded the Off-Road Tune into my ECU.

EvilBetty

I'm having the same problem since I put that Quill exhaust on my bike.  I had the TOR tune loaded and it didn't seem to make any difference.  I put the baffle back in the Quill and it ran quite a bit better, but the problem when starting it seems to be getting a little worse each time.

I haven't pulled tank to check the air box, but I had some oil dripping from the breather hose when I disconnected it from the stator cover.  Wondered if oil wasn't dripping into the #3 cylinder while parked and causing it to run rough until it clears.

pletdj

I tried the 12 minute tune and stil have the same symptoms.  No change at all.  I am going to call the Triumph dealer here in Hamilton and see if they can re map or if they have heard of this before.  I will update
2005 Triumph Tiger

Stretch

Sorry.

Do keep us posted.

EvilBetty

Yeah the 12 min tune did nothing for me either.  I may end up taking the bike in to have the oil breather seal re-done, since I obviously can't install an oil seal correctly.

FrostedFlake

Pardon the highjack, but I'm having a similar problem with slightly different symptoms.  Mine starts right up, stumbles but does not die.  After a few seconds, it sounds and runs fine. Then, within a block to a couple of miles, it stumbles again, won't rev, THEN dies.  Starts right back up, but still won't rev.  Sometimes after a start or two, it powers back up, sometimes I have to wait a few minutes.  Has left me stranded three times this week.  

I took it to my friend who has a car repair shop and pulled a code with his scanner.  It had several, probably old ones (since I've never pulled or cleared them), but one said something about the throttle sensor.  I can't remember the others.  I even replaced the battery Friday, since it showed to be weak, but Saturday it died within two blocks from my house.  

No dealer within 350 miles, so I can't get a remap easily.  Wondering if it's worth pulling the tank, checking fuel related things like a fuel filter, kinked hoses, etc., or if possibly the throttle position sensor is bad based on the code (anyone ever experienced a bad TPS?)  Haven't tried the 12 minute drill, maybe I should first.  Oh, to elaborate on the facts a bit more, it's an '06, right at 12k miles, bone stock engine (original tune and pipe).  Thoughts?  Is there some type of Tiger virus going around right now or what?  

Pletdj, sorry, but I thought maybe all our symptoms were close enough that sharing info might be productive.

Stretch

Maybe there's some useful information in this thread:  

http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,6443

EvilBetty

Definitely try the 12 minute reset first with that problem.  If that doesn't fix it there have been those with TPS's going bad.

Someone on another post claimed this was the same part.
http://store.alternatorparts.com/partno ... 02284.aspx

FrostedFlake

Update.  I tried the 12 minute tune at midnight last night.  Apparently, whatever my problem is, it's getting worse.  Started it up, died immediately.  Started again, died.  Did this several times, finally started idling, but very rough and erratic.  Died once or twice more before the fan kicked on, got exactly twelve minutes of rough/stumbling/erratic idle before dieing.  Hopefully it hit the magic 12 minute mark.  Decided to let it sit until I can slip away from work at lunch, also plan to borrow my friend's code reader and see what it comes up with.  Will post the results, but based on how it was running (or not), I'm not optimistic.  

EB and Stretch, I read the linked thread, guess I'll start going through the process of elimination later in the week.  Betty, excuse my ignorance, but is the part you posted (manifold air pressure sensor) the same as a throttle position sensor?  If not, is Triumph the only source for a TPS?  If a new TSP is installed, would a trip to the dealer for a map zap still be required to let the new TSP "learn" the appropriate settings?

coachgeo

FF my gut feeling on yours is something like a small fuel screen blockage.

Beside that though... time to start a new thread so not to hijack this one further IMHO.  Just throw in a link from this one to the new one.
COACH POSER (Till Tribota Tiger's done & I'm riding it)

FrostedFlake

You're absolutely right, coach.  My apologies to pletdj.

I cut and pasted my highjacking to this thread:
http://tigertriple.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 3953#43953

EvilBetty

The part I posted is a General Motors Throttle Position Sensor.   I can't verify if it is the same as the Triumph part or not, but it was reported to be the same.

The TPS doesn't learn anything, it simply sends a voltage to the ECU based off it's position.  The 12 minute reset should reset the sensor positions in the ECU and make it relearn them through your next rides.

If you change out the TPS, you would want to do another 12 minute idle to reset the ECU.