News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Harry Hurt, Granddaddy of Motorcycle Saftey, dies at 81.

Started by Colonel Nikolai, December 04, 2009, 04:35:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colonel Nikolai

Mostly commuting around town on the Steamer these days.

Advwannabe

His contribution to crash investigation and motorcycle safety are a welcome breath of sanity in amongst the interest preserving and legislation by emotion around the world

RIP
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

Bixxer Bob

As one who's constantly exasperated by the manipulation of data to  match anti-motorcycle dogma I was interested in this post, and read up on Harry.  I was immediately impressed by his work and thought that the UK motorcycle press should not allow his passing to go unmarked, so Emailed the most outspoken motorcycle journalist we have on this subject, Kevin Ash at Motorcycle News.

I didn't think any more of it until today when I opened this week's issue of MCN and found Kevin's column completely turned over to Harry's lifelong contribution to our safety.  I'm not claiming my Email did the trick, just saying well done to Kevin!!! :thumbsup
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

John Stenhouse

Well done Bob, shame the politicoes wont listen in the same fashion!
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Colonel Nikolai

How does one get a copy of MCN on this side of the pond? And to what emotions are folk refering when talking about motorcycle saftey?
Mostly commuting around town on the Steamer these days.

Bixxer Bob

Short of asking them to post you one for a subscription,  I don't know. Their website is here:  

www.motorcyclenews.com

but it doesn't cover half of what's in the weekly paper.

I could sent you an issue if you like though just so you could get a feel for it.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Bixxer Bob

Sorry, to answer your second question, MCN (as it's known) has rare outbreaks of balanced arguement but generally are a bit paraniod about the whole speed / safety thing.  It argues long and hard against ever-tightening speed restrictions and speed cameras but ignores the fact that if you stay within the law you've nothing to worry about, and it's the profligate law-breaking that leads to ever more draconian methods.

On the other hand though it does some sterling work in our defence.  Last summer the North Wales police decided that the easiest way to reduce motorcycle accidents on their patch was to force them to go and have them somewhere else.  They introduced a policy of blatant harrassment stopping all motorcyclists wherever possible and holding them up for long periods whilst they did a thorough check of bike and documents.  They stopped as many as they could, regardless of whether any wrong had been done.

After  a campaign organised by MCN, the North Wales police were reminded that the roads are public places and everyone has an equal right to use them, unharrassed.  They organised a gathering in the middle of the N Wales patch - and 10,000 bikers turned out.  Brought the whole area to a standstill.  Funnily, no-one was arrested and no harm was done as everyone behaved themselves.  The N Wales police are now re-considering their policy.....

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: "Colonel Nikolai"How does one get a copy of MCN

How does one get a copy here Bob, been looking but none in the usual haunts, an overseas subscription is too expensive for a tight Jockanese like me.

Well done with the agitation BTW
 :thumbsup
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint