News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Centre pot gone AWOL

Started by Loops, December 27, 2009, 11:48:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loops

Hi Guys,

Wonder if someone can shed some liight on this;

Bike = 885 efi
Miles = about 73,000 miles (waiting for 72k service)

OK so couple of weeks ago I went out for a blast only 125-150 miles or so.  No problem at all running sweet.

Last friday thought I'll pop to the shops on Tiger only to find she sounds like a rough running Harley!  Why?  Well only the outer two pots were firing (center downpipe cold).

So tried four or five starts - no luck at all.  Last try bike wouldn't start at all and battery starting to go flat.

So back into garage and hooked up battery charger.

This morning it's time for more thorough investigation.  Battery fine and she starts on the button, still two pots though but after 10 -15 seconds running a muffled pop and lots black smoke and hey presto middle cylinder joins the party.  Smoke clears and Tiger sounds perfect.  Took her out for a 20 mile spin and she's running a treat.

My question is anyone got any thoughts as to why this happened?

I'm thinking either poor electrical connection to injector or a blocked injector?

What do you think?

Cheers

Loops

PS longer ride as soon as weather gets dryer.
The more I drive the more I love my Tiger

1999 efi Tiger Yellow ~ 86k miles
2012 HD Electra Glide Classic ~ 40k miles
and Her 250 Rebel ~ 5k miles (and only did 16 miles last year!!)

Mustang

Quote from: "Loops"still two pots though but after 10 -15 seconds running a muffled pop and lots black smoke and hey presto middle cylinder joins the party.  Smoke clears and Tiger sounds perfect.
My question is anyone got any thoughts as to why this happened?

I'm thinking either poor electrical connection to injector or a blocked injector?

What do you think?

Cheers

Loops

PS longer ride as soon as weather gets dryer.

with lots of black smoke I'm thinking the injector was working fine and flooded the cylinder , I think I would be looking for an spark issue , like possible bad or corroded connection on the coil pak

cosmo

Quote from: "Mustang"with lots of black smoke I'm thinking the injector was working fine and flooded the cylinder , I think I would be looking for an spark issue , like possible bad or corroded connection on the coil pak

That, or a bit o' swarf on the plug electrodes. Swop out the plugs, that'd be easiest and cheapest.

Cosmo
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Chris Canning

Showing my two stroke back ground!! wiskered plug,i'd certainly take the tank off and put 3 new plugs in that is for sure.

John Stenhouse

I'm with Mustang, coil pack. They do fail, Renault and Nissan use the same idea and they produce exactly that result. More usually they don't come back though!
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting