News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Oil burning Pig...

Started by AndyM, December 31, 2009, 07:37:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bixxer Bob

Ah, forgot the labour price.... as I do all my own spannering  :)
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

EvilBetty

I haven't let the dealer do anything to this bike but tires and a head bearing adjustment.  But this is something I think would make me sick to do.  I couldn't see my bike splayed open that deep!   :shock:
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

Mustang

Quote from: "EvilBetty"Do I even want to guess at what labor would be for the dealer to do this?  :roll:

probably about the same as parts , my guesstimate would be in the 2k price range for parts and labor for a dealer to do this ,

now you are in the realm where a  used engine from a breaker becomes feasible but you won't know it's history .

It's not really a hard job to do yourself ................ :wink:

AndyM

Quote from: "Mustang"
Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"I think you're right abut the wet liners, so are they not very easy to hone?

I'm off to get a bolt for my front rotors in a minute, I'll ask about gasket kit prices whilst I'm there.

It will cost you $1000 USD to get
3 new cylinder liners
3 new piston and ring sets
a new head gasket
a tube of hylomar (to seal the liners in the block)

that's all you need to completely refresh the motor as long as the head is in good condition

and as long as the bearings are good you can do it all with engine still in frame.....................

There was a thread with pics either on this or the other forum of someone who did this. I remember seeing it but can't find it now.

EvilBetty

Mustang

Quote from: "EvilBetty"JetDocX

http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/msg,38461

he didn't do this for oil burning though, he did it when he replaced the repaired head . he reused his cylinders and pistons and rings ..he only went this deep because you have to reseal the cylinder bases with hylomar when ever you remove / disturb the cylinder head .

But yeah basically this is what you do when you replace the liners and pistons and rings .

AndyM

If I was sure it would fix the oil burning I'd spend the $1000 and replace the sleeves and such. With my luck I'd do the work and it would still burn oil...

EvilBetty

Quote from: "AndyM"If I was sure it would fix the oil burning I'd spend the $1000 and replace the sleeves and such. With my luck I'd do the work and it would still burn oil...

EXACTLY!   :cry:

EvilBetty

Ok... I have tried the oil seal 3 times to no avail... I'm not to the point of dropping $1-2K on new rings and sleeves.

I'm thinking about switching up the oil.  I normally would be a Mobil1 4T die hard, but seeing as is I've got so much of it flying though the engine I can't see how changing up the oil is going to hurt anything.

I'm going to start by using some cheap Rotella synthetic, but since they don't make a 10w-40, which one should I use?  5w-40 or 15w-40?

AndyM

Quote from: "EvilBetty"I'm going to start by using some cheap Rotella synthetic, but since they don't make a 10w-40, which one should I use?  5w-40 or 15w-40?

I've used a lot of Rotella over the miles. The 5w-40 in the blue jug is the synthetic. It has performed the same as every other oil I've tried but seems to give me smoother shifting. This last change I tried expensive Red Line. I'm thinking of trying the cheapest dino oil I can find. Can't be much worse.

And then I rode a new GS yesterday....  :D  5k to hit 100k on my Tiger then it's decision time.

AndyM

Stopped by the local Triumph dealer and talked with one of the mechanics for awhile. He is of the opinion that the issue is in the head (the bike not the one on my shoulders) valve guides and seals. Probably less $$ to fix than sleeves and pistons. And still no guarantee that it would fix the oil burning.

But at 96k miles on the bike I'm torn between fixing it or putting the money in to a new GS.........

EvilBetty

If memory serves on the price of the 955i Tiger head.  It's about the same price parts wise.

After about 100 miles I haven't burned any oil that I can tell using the Rotella.  But it's only 100 miles.  Before I went to Jasper I thought I had the problem licked with another oil seal (pressed by the dealer this time) but when I got down there I was a quart low.   :x

I'll get to put more miles on this week... I'll keep an eye on it.

AndyM

I've used mostly Rottella for the last 60-70k or so. It burns just like all the others.

EvilBetty

We need to quit bursting each others hope bubble! :)

AndyM

So I stopped by another dealer today and talked to another mechanic. I told him what it does and he's sure it's rings  :? . So there we have it, it's either valve guide seals, rings, or I could probably talk to another shop and get a third answer.

Them GS's are looking better and better.................