News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

After a month in the shop, my bike still will not run...

Started by flux, January 03, 2010, 02:12:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flux

No dice on any of this.  

I started another thread to expedite an answer but if anyone knows how to adjust the "idle fuel trim" speak up as mine is at 0%.

Bixxer Bob

If it feels breathless, pops a bit on shutting the throttle maybe even pops through the intakes and won't tickover it's probably a lean long term fuel trim.  By the way, what readings are you getting for the O2 (lamda) sensor?  engine off, ign on it should be 0.46 volts.  Then should be either 0 volts or 0.9 volts (ish) when running, depending on what the revs are doing.  These are simple devices so don't give a voltage that corresponds directly to the mixture.  More complex ones give avoltage that tells you how rich or lean you are.  Did you have a look at what the long term fuel trim value is?  The Triumph tool can change this value.

First though, did you successfully reload a tune?  You need to do this to make sure yours is not corrupted because I've had that and it's the easiest fix to do.

If the Tune's ok start the bike, make a note of the long term fuel trim value then warm it up, then gradually raise the long term fuel trim anything up to 0.5%  If this is the issue you'll immediately get a difference.  If it gets worse, try leaning it out by reducing the trim.  Worse case it won't make any difference and you can reset it to what it was.

It would help if you could read out the whole range of sensor and trim values and post them.  I can compare them with mine and see if we can deduce anything from them.  

This has really sucked me in.......

If it IS the trim,  what I can't understand is how it got changed, hence me asking about the health of your O2 sensor.  that's why I'm flipping beween corrupt tune and bad trim.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

flux

Bob, I shouldn't have started that other thread so let's just cOntinue here. I don't know all those values offhand but will try to find out. The o2 sensor is good though as that's one of the parts we swapped between the 2 bikes. Will run the long term fuel trim idea by and report back to you.

Thanks for the help. Cheers.

Bixxer Bob

I sould have thought of comparing sensor values earlier to be honest... :oops:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

iansoady

Sounds as though it might be useful to have a stickie where all of those with Tuneboy post a rundown on the values we see (perhaps with details of exhaust system etc and any problems), then it'll be easy to see which ones are consistent and act as a ready reference.

But I'm not doing mine till the snow's well gone......
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "iansoady"Sounds as though it might be useful to have a stickie where all of those with Tuneboy post a rundown on the values we see (perhaps with details of exhaust system etc and any problems), then it'll be easy to see which ones are consistent and act as a ready reference.

But I'm not doing mine till the snow's well gone......

Excellent idea, I'll do mine as a starter.... watch this space....

Fe Man

Could be the flux capacitor; has it been checked?

EvilBetty

Tigers have not been fitted with a Flux Capacitor since 1985 when Triumph aggressively recalled all the bikes due to a flaw in the time circuitry module which could cause them to short out.  It was later found that the problem was caused by a design flaw in the vibration dampening system.

Unfortunately, when production of the bikes ceased, it killed all demand for the power supply built by Jarden Corporation.  It seems Triumph was the only buyer of their Mr. Fusion products.  Triumph attempted to refit the bikes with an alternative power supply that was used on the concept bike but ran into snags with IAEA when trying to setup suppliers for the required fuel cells (Pu).

8)
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

Bixxer Bob

Where do you get all this stuff EB???

I thought Ironman meant this from Wikipedia:

QuoteFlux capacitor
The flux capacitor, which consisted of a regularly squared compartment with three flashing lights arranged as a "Y", was described by Doc as "what makes time travel possible". The device is the core component of Doctor Emmett Brown's fictional time traveling DeLorean DMC-12.

The device was located between the headrests of the seats and, as the time machine neared 88 mph (142 km/h), light coming from the flux capacitor pulsed faster until it became a steady stream of light. Doc originally conceived the idea for the flux capacitor on November 5, 1955 when he slipped and hit his head on the sink while standing on the toilet to hang a clock. A flux capacitor is seen in the front of Doc's second time machine the "Jules Verne" train at the end of Back to the Future III. A smaller flux capacitor also appeared in Back to the Future: The Ride at various Universal Studios theme parks. After the closing of Back to the Future: The Ride Doc can still be seen riding around on a bike, complete with its own flux capacitor. Although it resembles the original DeLorean flux capacitor, nothing is known about this version.

In 2008, Dr. Leon Chua, famous for proposing the memristor in 1971, proposed in a UC Berkeley symposium that a "Memory Capacitor" be built as the next important element in basic circuits.[1] This capacitor is different from other capacitors by being a function of flux. It is a "flux capacitor". The equation governing the operation of Dr. Chua's flux capacitor is q=C(φ)*v where φ is flux.

How it works

Although the films do not describe exactly how the flux capacitor works, Doc mentions at one point that the stainless steel body of the DeLorean has a direct and influential effect on the "flux dispersal", but he is interrupted before he can finish the explanation. The flux capacitor requires 1.21 gigawatts of electrical power to operate.

But lets not hijack Flux's thread (I'm sure there's a link there somewhere)
he's got enough grief without additional distractions... :?

EvilBetty

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"Where do you get all this stuff EB???

I thought Ironman meant this from Wikipedia:

QuoteFlux capacitor

But lets not hijack Flux's thread (I'm sure there's a link there somewhere)
he's got enough grief without additional distractions... :?

Yup that's what he meant  :lol:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088763/

I was answering a joke with a joke.  One you would only get if had seen the movie a few times...  :twisted:

That said... we do have one owner that was able to move the 1985 FP to a Girly...

There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

flux

Haha, loving the flux capacitor talk!  I wish I could rig one up on the Tiger.  My wife got me a tag for my bday that says "FLUX" but I wish it said "88MPH" instead.

flux

Okay, Triumph FINALLY called us back, after our RM was sicked on them.  

Could possibly be the gasket under the throttle bodies letting air in.  He's gonna file it, re-silicone it, and see what happens.  This is the only thing we have not checked that I can think of....

Bixxer Bob

TB air leaks are common on many Triumphs due to the rubbish screws that the factory use.  I posted some wisdom here after doing mine:

http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/msg,44959

I hope it solves it for you; I did mine because of the pops / bangs on overrun which is due to weak mix pointing to an air leak somewhere.  It could be this but it didn't immediately spring to mind.  I'd still like to know what your sensor readings are if you get the chance.  Assuming it works, it would be good to tie any sensor info to a fix for future reference.

Oh, and I'd definitely have some allen screws ready to replace the chocolate torx ones.

flux

Thanks Bob.  I will try to get him to give me the sensor readings but the Triumph tool actually looks pretty sucky compared to the Tuneboy one so I'm not sure how easy it will be.  Will try though.

Just got back from the shop... we seem to have a success!  Gonna double check in the morning to make sure she fires up straight away.  Will report back...

Mustang

Keeping fingers crossed for ya .........Like I said in the PM it will be something incredibly simple causing the problem .
Now you get to fall in  :love10 all over again  :ImaPoser