News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

The mysterious shrinking Tigger fairings

Started by B.Curvin, February 13, 2010, 09:40:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

B.Curvin

Anyone run across this before? I can't make out if the tank has stretched

or the fairings shrank. Any suggestions on courses of action? I can get them

on but they're catty wompus when all the bolts are in.

The Tigger in question

The tank

Pics with the upper right bolt fitted showing how the rear does not line up

Now I've got the bolt nearest the rear fitted and am barely holding it to the tank

Rear bolt still in and I've forced the fairing around the upward curve of the tank

What the heck is going on?

Nick Calne

My daytona is a bit like this.  Can't figure out why, or what to do about it.  So you are not alone.

I find swearing and shouting are helpful.
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

Bixxer Bob

Also my Blackbird.  Sometimes it goes together no probs, other times it's a real mother....
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Mustang

garage heated ? crank up the heat and leave the gas tank open all night sometimes help . start all the bolts a couple of turns and let it sit for a few hours in the nice warm sunshine or garage ...............YMMV

ArcticTiger

Guess its the same as with plastic cars like the Chev Corvette, they shrink too.
-09 Triumph Tiger 1050 blazing orange
-98 Triumph Tiger 900 british racing green
-06 Ducati Multistrada 1000 S DS red
-99 Moto Guzzi EV 11 Cali. (Wi, USA)
-00 Yamaha TT600R
You are allowed to have only one wife, but you can ride as many bikes as you want...

BR

Welcome to the club.  My '98 BRG Tiger did the same thing... and I'm of the opinion that the tank just "settles" a bit when it's off the bike.  I thought I was going mad wondering how they could be off so @$@#$ far as I'd never seen this before.  My tank had been off for a few months and I found the same exact thing upon attempting to install the tank.  Here's what I did: Set tank out in sun to warm it up, put the tank in place and then the front bolt.  At this point I used a large screwdriver and short section of wood to push the tank forward in order to install the two rear tank bolts (I lever against the sub-frame cross-bar near the battery.  After that, I let it sit again and after hogging out a few of the fairing holes slightly, I got all the bolts in.  Other folks have had success using a strap to pull the tank in place as well.
This was last year and coincidently I just removed my tank today for some other work so I'll be doing it again soon.
Btw, nice look'n shop you got there.... :eusa_clap

Brendan
San Jose, CA

JetdocX

Legendary Triumph fit and finish. :lol:
From parts unknown.

Mustang

Quote from: "JetdocX"Legendary Triumph fit and finish. :lol:

these things are 12-15 years old ...........plastic is not the most stable material :shock:

B.Curvin

Quote from: "BR"Welcome to the club.  My '98 BRG Tiger did the same thing... and I'm of the opinion that the tank just "settles" a bit when it's off the bike.  I thought I was going mad wondering how they could be off so @$@#$ far as I'd never seen this before.  My tank had been off for a few months and I found the same exact thing upon attempting to install the tank.  
Btw, nice look'n shop you got there.... :eusa_clap

Brendan
San Jose, CA

Well, that's exactly the case here. It was off for about 3 months and it sat

on a saw horse the whole time.  I tried putting straps around it today and drawing it

back into shape. I think it would need to stay strapped for a while to make a difference.

To get the tank back on I installed the single bolt at the front then removed the

tank mount that bolts to the frame with four bolts. I bolted the frame mount to the tank

then installed the two bolts nearest the battery. It was then just a matter of

pushing down on the mount to get the two front bolts in. After that I snugged

everything up. Getting the fairings on was a whole nother fight.

Thanks about the shop. I just cleaned and organized so I could put this in.

And I built a tire rack.

Nick Calne

Wow. you should put these shots on Mustang's man castle thread.  I suspect you'd be the 'winner'.  Lathe looks awesome btw.  What are you thinking of turning? 8)

Mustang

Quote from: "nickcalne"Wow. you should put these shots on Mustang's man castle thread.  I suspect you'd be the 'winner'.  Lathe looks awesome btw.  What are you thinking of turning? 8)
I don't know about that
the machine shop side

CNC Mill

B.Curvin

Quote from: "Mustang"the machine shop side

Cripes. Someday, someday.

What am I turning? Wheel spacers and such. I've only had it for two weeks.

The first actual project I used it for was making a sleeve for my Pitbull

front end stand to make it fit the Tiger. That was yesterday.

ArcticTiger

Mustang photo:  CNC mill

Thas where the footpegs comes from?
-09 Triumph Tiger 1050 blazing orange
-98 Triumph Tiger 900 british racing green
-06 Ducati Multistrada 1000 S DS red
-99 Moto Guzzi EV 11 Cali. (Wi, USA)
-00 Yamaha TT600R
You are allowed to have only one wife, but you can ride as many bikes as you want...

Mustang

Quote from: "ArcticTiger"Mustang photo:  CNC mill

Thas where the footpegs comes from?

:headbang

Nick Calne

Mustang, OK you win!