News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Clutchless Shifting

Started by kelpie_67, February 21, 2010, 12:37:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kelpie_67

Anyone have any thoughts on this - do you or don't you. Is it bad or good? Once again the Uber Noob asks the obvious.....

thanks in advance for your wisdom
2000 885i yellow - can you see me now?

Mustang

sometimes I do mostly on upshifts though and generally only when really wanking on the throttle doing redline pulls  :shock:
when you have 38 years of riding under the belt you just sort of know when to shift , but for most part I just use the clutch :wink:

Colonel Nikolai

I used to have this old Suzuki GS that could clutchless shift like the dickens: totally effortlessly. I can't get my 96 Triumph Sprint to clutchless shift well: its too notchy. Never tried on the Tiger: figured it'll be as notchy as the Sprint. I'd like to be told otherwise and it's just me or the particular Sprint I have.
Mostly commuting around town on the Steamer these days.

Mustang

full synthetic oil makes a triumph shift like it has butter for gears  .......... :headbang

HappyMan

yes, like butter.  I rarely use the clutch on up shifts.
Life is hard.  It\'s even harder if you\'re stupid. - John Wayne

Life\'s too short......Let\'s ride! - HappyMan

http://ridedualsport.com

Colonel Nikolai

I've always used Mobile 1 Racing 4T in my Sprint and now in my new (to me) Tiger, so I have nothing to compare it to. I recently switch to Amsoil synthetic motorcycle oil in the Sprint as an experiment as it's a tad cheaper.

HappyMan

I've only ever run Mobile 1 4T.  Works too well for me to consider anything else.  I'd love to hear what you think about the Amsoil.
Life is hard.  It\'s even harder if you\'re stupid. - John Wayne

Life\'s too short......Let\'s ride! - HappyMan

http://ridedualsport.com

Mustang

shell rotella T from Wal mart works good too . But I am with HAppyman here
Mobil 1 MX4t from autozone 9 bucks a quart good stuff  :love10
if I am doing multiple days of long rides in hot weather (summertime roadtrip) I'll use the Mobil 1 v-twin stuff instead of the MX4T as it is a higher viscosity 20-50 if IRRC

pletdj

I use amsoil in everything from my quads, to truck to bikes.  I have had great success and any independant study i have seen has put Amsoil at the top of the list.
2005 Triumph Tiger
2004 BMW Boxer Cup Replika

kelpie_67

I have shifted most all my bikes in the past without the clutch - all you need to do is pay attention to engine speed and actual speed - in fact bikes are easier to clutchless shift than the tractor trailers i used to drive and believe me I hardly ever used the clutch once moving. I just wanted to know other peoples experiences since I love my old (2000) Girly and want to keep her for a while
2000 885i yellow - can you see me now?

JetdocX

Sometimes when I'm up on the pegs, I do my upshifting on the fly without clutch and no problems so far.  Downshifting can be a bit violent, but I'm talking low speed, here, so 1st and 2nd gears.
From parts unknown.

Nick Calne

On a tiger? - clutch every time.....what's the rush?

Sportsbikes -well that's a different matter.  :wink:
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

cosmo

Both my '96 Trophy and my Girly ('06) shifted better W/O clutching, tho downshifts require a technique that has been learned through over 20 years of riding and at least ten years of driving a semi.

But, I find that bikes with a face cam for shift drum location work better than those with a star-shaped cam, as you can easily pause between gears rather than have the drum rotate into the next gear.

Cosmo
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Sniffy

On my Roadie I use the clutch for engaging first and then it's clutchless all the way up. Like has been said before, smooth as butter  :)
Steve

Colonel Nikolai

I'll let you know about the Amsoil in a few weeks here in the Sprint once I fix the short / relay implosion I got lately.  :cry:

http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,7212