News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Can you hear that?

Started by tokalosh, March 17, 2010, 07:25:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tokalosh

Just maybe, that's the sound of GPS units like Garmin, crashing to the ground....

check out the latest from Google:

Google Maps Navigation http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGXK4jKN_jY&feature=player_embedded

I know it's a totally different m.o. but at the very least, instead of adding useless frills like slideshow players, maybe it will change how they connect to your computer and they will make easier to upgrade, customise the contents/ routes/ etc, on even the basic GPS models.

BTW, I use a Garmin Nuvi 255W i got off of Craigslist for $100, wired and mounted to my BagsConnection tank bag.  

I just can't justify paying nearly a thousand dollars for the new Garmin Zumo 660.  

When the 255W breaks, I think I'll just get another used GPS.

That's my 2 cents about GPS's.  Anyone want to give me a Google Smartphone to test out on my Tiger???  :wink:
common sense just ain\'t so common these days
-------------------------------------------
\'06 Farkled Girly
(\'93 K75)
(\'95 Honda Sahara 350)

John Stenhouse

Only downside of that is the price of data to keep it tracking. In the UK that would be fairly expensive.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

EvilBetty

In the US, most people that have a phone capable of using it (Android 2.01 and higher) have an unlimited data plan.

Apparently it caches your route so of you loose 3G coverage you can still go on your journey.  What worries me is what if you decided to change your journey in a dead zone?
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

oxnsox

Ha... The voice feature would just keep taking you back to where you were... thats where the Tiger sound was!!

I've had Maps on my phone for a few years, it's a great thing to have when you're somewhere you don't know but if I used a car nav full time I don't think I'd be tempted by using a phone.

There's still a lot of features to be added to car nav systems (like 3D views) and as the prices fall they will become standard fit equipment, just like CD players have become. And being purpose made for vehicles they won't have the same screen size restrictions that mobile phones have.

Plus phones come with a couple of years of commitment to a carrier, and data use plans. Car Navs don't.  I think there's room for both just as there's rooms for iphone's and simple phones.
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
  If it ain't Farkled...  don't fix it....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sasquatch

Almost utterly useless for me.

Where I travel with GPS rarely has cell phone coverage, let alone 3G.  I guess if you stayed on the freeways and cities it would be cool though, but that is not what I have an adventure bike for.

Bixxer Bob

My HTC HD2 (Leo) phone has built in GPS receiver and Google maps, which convert to Google Earth at the swipe of an icon, and have been really useful on foot, but can't match my Garmin 660 in terms of ruggedness or waterproofness (is that a word??) or ease of mount etc etc.... on the bike.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"can't match my Garmin 660 in terms of ruggedness or waterproofness (is that a word??) or ease of mount etc etc.... on the bike.

Duck's Ar$e, those are words  :lol: sorry I've had a really silly day :roll:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

EvilBetty

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"My HTC HD2 (Leo) phone has built in GPS receiver and Google maps, which convert to Google Earth at the swipe of an icon, and have been really useful on foot, but can't match my Garmin 660 in terms of ruggedness or waterproofness (is that a word??) or ease of mount etc etc.... on the bike.

I'm getting that phone Wednesday! :) (finnaly being released in the US).

I'll have TomTom and Garmin XT on it, and with that screen size it will be replacing my GPS in the car and on the bike.

As for waterproofnesss (word coined by BB) and ease of use on the bike...

Mount
http://www.ram-mount.com/CatalogResults ... fault.aspx

Aqua Box
http://www.ram-mount.com/CatalogResults ... fault.aspx

Car mount (awesome)
http://www.clove.co.uk/viewProduct.aspx ... 3D0B88BD04

Sin_Tiger

Chris Love is a great guy to deal with, been helping me with Psion bits since before the term PDA was invented.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

coachgeo

Quote from: "Sasquatch"Almost utterly useless for me.

Where I travel with GPS rarely has cell phone coverage, let alone 3G....
VERY good point
COACH POSER (Till Tribota Tiger's done & I'm riding it)

Bixxer Bob

Erm,,,,

I think we're confusing GPS (Global Positioning System ie satellites) with cell phone coverage here.  

Cell phone signal is only good for nearest 1/4 mile (in my experience anyway - my phone thinks it's in the next village half the time) and signal can be patchy away from cities.  GPS is accurate to 10metres or so and can get a fix almost anywhere in the world out in the open (deep canyons, potholes, caves and inside most buildings for instance, but hey - when did you last ride indoors?).
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

coachgeo

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"Erm,,,,

I think we're confusing GPS (Global Positioning System ie satellites) with cell phone coverage here.  ...
nope not confused.... dont think :lol:

GPS reads satellite yes... but internet connection on this phone is via on-board aircard.  No connection to cell tower means no internet which means this cellphones computer chip has no connection to reach google maps with.  With out Google maps.... it's navigation system.... dies UNLESS... it happens to also have alot of memory and can store google map data till next cell tower reception is reached.
COACH POSER (Till Tribota Tiger's done & I'm riding it)

EvilBetty

Quote from: "coachgeo"GPS reads satellite yes... but internet connection on this phone is via on-board aircard.  No connection to cell tower means no internet which means this cellphones computer chip has no connection to reach google maps with.  With out Google maps.... it's navigation system.... dies UNLESS... it happens to also have alot of memory and can store google map data till next cell tower reception is reached.

Correct.  It will cache your current route and maps, but if you deviate, or journey a distance greater than (unknown) your screwed.

If they ever bring Google Navigation (not to be confused with Google Maps/Earth) to Windows Mobile, I'll still have Garmin XT and TomTom loaded with full USA maps.

I'd love to have a nice in dash unit powered by Garmin, Magellan, TomTom, etc.  But I can't stand most of these OEM and aftermarket NAV systems.  Kenwood makes a Garmin unit but they sure are proud of it.

Then you have the Motorcycle world, which just doesn't have a great option right now.  The Zumo lacks needed features and the Rider 2 is almost unreadable in the daylight.  Both lack good MP3 control.

So for now, this HTC HD2 is going to be my goto unit for both.

Bixxer Bob

EB,

Over here the HD2 comes with Copilot ready loaded and a free trial period.  I couldn't get my old TomTom to work on it because of the new touch screen.  Before you commit, look here and make sure you're getting the latest ROM:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdi ... c515&f=531

A lot of good gen on that site, some very clever people too, although why someone would buy a $700 phone then hack into the operating system and risk bricking it is beyond me......

Lots of folks have had probs (not me fortunately) because it was launched ready for Xmas but not fully tested.

Still a cracking good phone though (literally if you sit on it, being a glass screen... :roll: )

EvilBetty

I've been on that site for years :)

The have a newer version of TomTom working on the HD2, which I confirmed before I decided to go with this phone.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... ght=TomTom

I hate the bundled GPS apps they put on phones.  And despise the idea of paying monthly for something that should be free.

This phone paired to my Midland BT2-D should be a great solution for now.