News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

YAPI - noobie

Started by BruKen, March 23, 2010, 11:22:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BruKen

Top Tip from a Top Bloke!! Well done that resourceful man Sin :D

Bixxer Bob

Google is your friend:

http://www.triumphparts.gbr.cc/10440/in ... &cat=34955

Well,  at least some of the time.....

Mustang,  is there a sticky where that link can be copied to?
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Sin_Tiger

If I can get the actual part no's I'll post them up on the cross reference, didn't want to put something as nebulous as that in.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Mustang

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"Google is your friend:

http://www.triumphparts.gbr.cc/10440/in ... &cat=34955

Well,  at least some of the time.....

Mustang,  is there a sticky where that link can be copied to?

Copied BB's link and NeilD's links to the cross reference sticky for the Brake rotors and pads section.

I have a feeling alot of people don't really look at the stickys before asking for parts though ................... :roll: maybe it's just me

BruKen

Hi Mustang, I have looked at the stickies in this the steamer forum. Lots of good advice there. It gave me a heads up on what to look for when working on the engine. I had DAR :D
What I haven't always done though is revisit stickies.
BTW are there any others that I should be looking at, because I didn't see where you posted the above?

BruKen

So yesterday I sprayed the frame and while undoing it from suspension dropped it on my foot. God it's heavy!!
Not to be outdone, while putting masking tape over bits and bobs not wanting to be repainted I damn near sliced my finger in two with a trimming knife from the second joint all the way down to the pad and nail.

Bled like a slit pig and I was home alone with all my gear on the drive. Choice, ruin wet paintwork by hauling everything in to the garage and going to A and E or toughing it out and doing a Nam stunt with superglue. That's what superglue was made for you know.....but it doesn't work. I had to pick out gone-off superglue from the wound while sobbing in front of the bathroom mirror. In the end tissue paper and copious amounts of insulation tape and I was ready to resume.

Blood trail

More on the way to the door

Anyway got a good finish. Well pleased. Very close to the stipled finish of the original coat. Only misery is the galvanic corrosion where the rear shock mud flap bolts had badly corroded the ali

Odds and sods

Also began making inroads to the huge collection of assorted pieces

Bits too small to hang

All in all, very pleased with the results, the phone camera just doesn't do them justice. Finally, a paint job I didn't have to redo :D

Nick Calne

OOOF! When I get myself into the same situation (which is fairly frequently :roll: ) I use a wad of tissue paper and the masking tape.  There is something about masking tapes easy peel of qualities that make it better when you got take it off.

Paint looks good though.
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: "BruKen"Only misery is the galvanic corrosion where the rear shock mud flap bolts had badly corroded the ali

I hate to laugh at your suffering, at least you are getting to do it yourself  :roll: can I borrow your Stanley knife please, I have a feeling I'll probably need it when I get the bill for all the work I have to pay someone else to do.

I see you managed to stub out your fag end before you went indoors  :wink:

I'm inclined to believe the pitting is due to drips from the battery box drain, mine looks almost identical though I'm sure that's no cosolation :roll:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

BruKen

Don't laugh at my fag end :D they make bloody good filter respirators when spraying.

BTW I always sweep and clean my workspace at the end of a session so I don't feel too guilty.

As for your postulation on battery acid, you may be right. But I'd say that it started off the corrosion on the iron bracket on the bottom of the mud flap. What ever the cause, whenever iron corrodes near the tigger there is a particularly nasty chain reaction to the ali alloy they have used. A good number of M8 holes are now M12 because of it. I suspect there is an unusually high magnesium content to their metallurgy and not enough silicon. Trying to make a fatty a lighty I suspect. Anyway, doesn't wether very well, even if mine is an extreme case.

Geoff D

Hi Bruce  :wave  

The Green Queen is now...

Virgin white  :XXsunsmile
The older I get the faster I was...

BruKen

:P. Damn Geoff, you're embarrassing the old girl. Put some clothes on her.
Nice paint job :twisted: pity about the colour :D, green is so much nicer.

How is the shoulder? Hope it's mending nicely

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: "BruKen":D they make bloody good filter respirators when spraying.

:pimp  :ImaPoser  I do hope no HSE people are reading this "That'll be water based paints you're using Sir?"  :shock:

Geoff D

Quote from: "BruKen":P. Damn Geoff, you're embarrassing the old girl. Put some clothes on her.
Nice paint job :twisted: pity about the colour :D, green is so much nicer.

:pottytrain2

How is the shoulder? Hope it's mending nicely

shoulder getting better, can't ride yet but gettin there

BruKen

Terrible timing on the shoulder injury. Hope it heals quick. Dont swing those hammers with it, tut tut, that wasnt the brightest move. Top marks for enthusiasm tho. I am watching your progress on the old girl with a lot of interest. It's looking good and you humble my past efforts :shock: . Aah well, I had fun when it was my turn and that is all that matters. :lol:

Geoff D

Bruce got a question for you.. (in fact for everyone)     :?:  what was the inside of your tank like considering its been stood in a barn for ages. The reason I ask is I've bought yet another Tenere... (yes really) this one is a 1992 660 the cam chain broke about 7 years ago & its been in a barn ever since... its very very rusty  :roll:
anyway the inside of the tank (which is half full of very smelly petrol) is about a quarter of an inch thick of furry rusty stuff, you can scrape it off with a screwdriver, ever seen this before??? How the hell do I clean the tank out....