News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

GPS question

Started by Geoff D, March 28, 2010, 11:36:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geoff D

I've never used a GPS on my bike, always preferring to use a map & write out route cards which I stick on my tank or tank bag.... however I now find I'm struggling a bit to read maps without reading glasses (sigh).
So I'm starting to think about buying a GPS system, looked at a few at Scottish bike show last week, but they all seem very expensive.

Who uses one & which have you found the best for bikes.

Considered making a bracket for my old Tom Tom, but obviously its not waterproof.

Thanks chaps :icon_salut
The older I get the faster I was...

chairhead

Geoff,
i too think the bike GPS's are bloody expensive,i use my old TomTom one v3 and a Ram box and they work a treat for me,the box for what it is,is expensive but it beats paying hundreds of pounds extra for a bike GPS

you can see the box mounted to the handlebar brace
http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,6563

Ram mounts
http://www.ram-mount.com/SearchResults/ ... fault.aspx

http://www.ram-mount.com/CatalogResults ... fault.aspx
03 Girly Roulette Green with a Hedingham ETH
TOR can
Wilbers shock & wasp L/L forks
Taylormade Billet wheel

HappyMan

I think you would enjoy a GPS if you use it as a tool to go with your route cards.  I would not recommend using the GPS only.  Maps are for routing and a GPS works well to keep you within or around your route.  They are good for wandering and getting you back on track.  Maps and your route cards are still the best for planning.  My .02 worth. Take it for what it's worth.
Life is hard.  It\'s even harder if you\'re stupid. - John Wayne

Life\'s too short......Let\'s ride! - HappyMan

http://ridedualsport.com

EvilBetty

I've got all kinds of GPS gadgets I use now... but I'm a geek.

If you don't need to hear the GPS directions, an old Garmin, TomTom or whatever works fine.

The flat ones are easier to mount because you have more options for waterproofing them.

There are the ram-mount Aquaboxes,
http://www.ram-mount.com/Products/AquaB ... fault.aspx

...or the GIVI GPS
http://www.giviusa.com/News-en/S850---G ... sal-holder

The you have to supply power... You can run a wire from the fairing or battery, or just plug into the Powerlet connector on the side of the bike.

If you want to HEAR the turn by turn, you need to either use a GPS that will connect some ear buds, or that will wire into your existing system, or that supports the same bluetooth technology as your bluetooth headset system.

Another option is to stick it into a waterproof pocket and ONLY listen to it or pull it out when you need to double check your route.

I originally used an old TomTom 510, a ram-mount, and a zip lock baggy.  Later I added a Midland BT2-D system to listen to the audio.

My next thing to try is using my HTC HD2 cell phone to run Garmin or TomTom software paired with my BT2 system.   I will either get the GIVI GPS bag or buy an Aquabox for my Ram-Mount.
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

JasonS

I 've been through a few GPS's now, all Garmin, and all mounted on the RAM Mount units. Look for refurbished or old stock of phased out models. The bigger the display the better and make sure it is rated to be in the weather as many Automobile units are not weather proof.

There are many types and uses for GPS out there and therefore many GPS units built for each pursuit... hiking, marine, trucking, auto, motorcycle... if you are a hiker you wouldn't want the model I would choose as I am just into the MC thing... but I have seen many MCers with hiking type GPSs... so there is a bit of personal preference in choosing.

I find the GPS  to be best for general guidance in some circumstances and very specific in others. It can be awesome for knowing when entering a township on a road trip... also great for setting a general destination and getting there by making arbitrary turns and counting on the GPS to help guide me back in the right direction eventually.

And remember that none of it is perfect.. I have found bridges on the GPS that have been gone for decades... so don't trust it 100%...
\'tweachisown

Photo Journal of my 2009 Texas Trip Being Written Here
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=4 ... 48daf95d7c

oxnsox

Used a number of GPS mapping systems in Cars in Europe a few years back, and in the last few years have built a data acquisition vehicle for a mapping company here....

If you treat one as just another Tool to help you in places you're unfamiliar with they are great, as they'll give you the confidence to not worry if you miss a turn or want to try another road or route. If you rely on them totally or blindly follow their instructions, you will become frustrated.

Any unit is only as good as the Map database on the machine, and how up to-date it is (and they'll never be always up to-date or accurate). Whatever the machine tells you, you're the pilot. Enjoy the journey and the decisions you make.
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
  If it ain't Farkled...  don't fix it....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

chairhead

Quote from: "oxnsox"Any unit is only as good as the Map database on the machine, and how up to-date it is

Just one of the reasons i chose the TomTom 1,updates are downloaded  from my computer,i dont have to worry about having the right mapping on memory cards for where i want to go,that said i will always look at a map before i start any trip,this i enjoy,so much so that if im restless at night i will read a map rather than a book,the TomTom for me is great i find it easy to use,reliable(it been used at -20 and +38 degrees)and is comprehensive across the board and packed full of useful features,sure there are better Gps's out there, but for the money spent for me its a winner.
TOR can
Taylormade Billet wheel

Bixxer Bob

+1 CH

I had TT1 on my phone with external bluetooth sat receiver for a long time.  There were cables to power it andconnect it to my intercom, a waterproof bag etc etc and was proud of my cost saving success but TT1 doesn't work on my new phone, so I bit the bullet and got Nuvo 660.  I can't justify the cost and I do think it's massively overpriced even though it's waterproof.  It does reduce the faff on the bike and is a neat installation but TT is far easier to program (or am I just used to TT?).

I accept though that the price is a killer for most people and knowing what I paid for it takes the shine off a little every time I use it.  :?
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Geoff D

Wow, great replies, thanks chaps..... seeing as I already have a Tom Tom 1, think I'll go chairheads route for now, maybe get the givi bag.

Bixxer Bob

Geoff, one thing I did find was some sort of waterproof box with the cable ports properly sealed is a must for the TT1.  I tried a tank bag with map pocket but it simply wasn't dry enough.  

Even though I have the 660,  I use a mini magnetic (plastic tank, I know etc) tank bag made by Kappa that cost about £40.  It holds my autocom, home-made fused power distribution to run the autocom, charges a phone and powers the 660 leaving room for keys, sunglasses etc.  I have a mounting ball on the bars of both the Tiger and Blackbird and the same power sockets on both.  That way I just pick up the bag, plug it into whichever bike I'm using, mount the 660 and I'm away.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

chairhead

Geoff,
just a for your information pic and because i love my outfit :D
see pictured Ram box on the handlebar brace,there its out of the worst of the weather and sits just above the bagster tank bag,and just the right distance for my now squinting eyes :lol:

TOR can
Taylormade Billet wheel

Geoff D

That looks good ch, do you just plug into power socket or have you gone Bobs way with power dist thing.

Bob I looked at that Nuvo at the show last week, definitely looks the
business, but phew.....

JasonS

or save on the waterproof box and just buy a GPS that is NEMA rated for exposure to the weather and no issues!.. I've been through days of rain with my Garmins...
\'tweachisown

Photo Journal of my 2009 Texas Trip Being Written Here
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=4 ... 48daf95d7c

chairhead

Quote from: "Geoff D"That looks good ch, do you just plug into power socket or have you gone Bobs way with power dist thing

I use the original car power lead which i plug into a fused socket that i have under the seat,this now stays on the bike full time,i have another lead and mount on the Bandit so i can swap the box about.
TOR can
Taylormade Billet wheel

NKL

Hein Gericke do a waterproof bag with a sun visor that looks like a Tom Tom One or similar would fit in. Only seen it in their catalogue but it might be worth a look if you already have a sat nav.
I\'m immortal..........well so far!!!
-----------------------------------
\'08 KTM 990 Adventure
\'91 Black XTZ 750
\'10 TM 250 EN
\'07 CCM 404
Renault Traffic 100