News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Stall after cold start

Started by Wrangler, August 20, 2004, 01:17:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wrangler

My 03 Tiger has of late exhibited the ability to stall on cold starts.  Restart it again and no problem.  Had it in to the dealer on a regular service interval, described the problem and left.  Unfortunately I had time constrainst on pickin up the bike, because dealer wanted to spend time investigating the problem.

Picked the bike up and dealer(very top notch) said that, "they have seen this problem in a few of the 955 spec engines, they rework the float valves, which have a tendency to stick".

Anybody else experienced same or similar
I\'ve been from Tucson to Tucumcari

Tehachapi to Tonopah

Paka

Wrangler,

Good to see a reply from someone so close to home. I live in Port Elgin close to Sauble Beach. Ride an 03 Orange Tiger.

Let me describe what is happening with mine and see if it is the same.

Cold start ( bike is cold not weather) and it fires will bounce from 0-500 rpm and slowly climb to 1500rpm. Sometimes it will chug and stall. Fires up again. On the second start, it fires to 2000 rpm and then settles down to 1500 till it gets to the warm idle of 1000.

I also have a lean running condition when trying to cruise. Causes surging.

Had mine in at the dealer all day Tuesday. They are  going to keep it and work on it some more when they get some parts in.

My mechanic knows it can run alot better than it does. I trust they will get to the bottom of it.

When you talked about float valves, I don;t understand? I am new to fuel injection.

We should try and get together one day (when mine is running better) for a little ride and exchange stories.

Paul

Port Elgin

P.S. I saw an orange Tiger in Collingwood in June. Were you there????

ZANO

Mine started doing this after I installed a K&N air filter.  I will let you guys know if my dealer finds anything out after they look at it tomorrow.  They seem to time it's a computer problem.

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one.  

Bill

52blackshadow

I could be wrong, but where in the fuel injection system would they have float valves?  I have only come across these in Carburetters to control the level of the fuel so that the jet operates properly.

Perhaps someone who knows the Triumph fuel injection system can throw some light on this?

Cheers,

Keith.
Ride safe!!!!!

Paka

Where is your dealer?

Paul

Wrangler

I may not have been accurate when I said "float valve", but I'm sure he referred to a valve sticking.  Bike goes in next week and I'll provide an update.

Paul, fellow Ontariorian, I sent you an email off-line.
I\'ve been from Tucson to Tucumcari

Tehachapi to Tonopah

Chris Canning

I had two 900i's that both gave problems from cold,spoke to other people who had,had the same problem and Triumph new about it!!!,when you touched the start button the cranked moved before the ignition sensor which made it run crap,the trick was to turn the ignition off and try again,i remember once it takeing three attempts to get to to run right.

My 955i is over three years old now and has run fine up untill i had it serviced a couple of months ago and had tune 18 put it,to say i ain't happy is putting it mildly,it's not thats it's runnning badly,but nowhere as good as it has in the past,including not running all that well from cold,when i had a recall recently for the male quick release fuel pipe my plan(as usual)(clutch cable) was to do it myself and let the shop book the time but when i get them to do the mod and i'mgoing to get them to look at the tune,because it must be the wors't one i've ever had installed.

Chris

Paka

Wrangler,

No email yet. Try, mailto:plevette@bmts.com">plevette@bmts.com. I use this more often.

Paul

AK Tiger

I had a couple of a problems with my (ex) '02 Tiger.  Orange County Triumph in Santa Ana, CA. found and fixed them, however.  Good folks.  The idle problem was, for lack of the correct Triumph term, an idle air control valve.  As the term implies this valve allows a variable amount of air to bypass the throttle plates to maintain a stable idle.  It's plastic and subject to failure.  Replacing it restored the idle quality to my Tiger despite changing temperatures and atmospheric conditions.

The other problem OC Triumph found was that the barometric pressure sensor was at a fixed voltage and not registering any changes in altitude.  It thought I was at an elevated altitude instead of just above sealevel.  The bike would detonate or "ping" terribly during roll on from 45-60 mph.  The good news is that Triumph covered the replacement of the ECM.  It made an incredible difference in the way the bike performed. The bad news is that the bike was 1 week out of warranty and Triumph wouldn't cover the labor.  I'm currently discussing that situation with Triumph NA as the MIL light didn't indicate that there was a problem.  Had the MIL light done so, I would have gotten the problem fixed while it WAS under warranty.  We'll see what happens.  How this "challenge" is resolved may determine whether I buy a new Tiger or not.

Darrell
Darrell
IBA 16091
2005 Tiger
2002 Tiger (Deceased - Killed by a suicidal caribou)