News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

ECM access code for 885i??? *updated with tune impressions*

Started by macgart, April 14, 2010, 10:49:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

macgart

I stopped at a local dealer yesterday to have a TOR tune loaded in my 885.  The dealer was unable to get into the map portion of the ECM.  The ECM was asking for a 10 digit code but the manuals at the dealer on had 5 digit codes.  Their book also did not list any tune as an "Off Road" tune.  It only showed options for after market exhause with cat or w/o cat.

I searched but couldn't find a reference here to the codes.  Maybe I'm just a poor searcher, dunno.  

Any help would be appreciated.  The mechanic confess that they rarely ever see Tigers in the shop.  Mostly sport models.

Do they need a different computer for the older bikes?  The mechanic showed me what he was doing with the computer, so I know he gave it his best shot.
99 Tiger "Goldie"
The more I ride it, the more I love it!
http://www.johnnymacmotoadventures.com/

Mustang

I could be mistaken but the tunes for aftermarket exhaust are probably the ones referred to as "off road tune "
as even triumphs own exhaust for the tigers is for off road use only because it won't meet epa noise level requirements
can't help with the ecm codes  .......no idea

Damn I love me carburetors

Bixxer Bob

The first entry reqd is the Dealer ID which should only be 5 digits.  The next entry is the date which is 6 digits.  If it's asking for 10 digits, dealer should only put in the first five.  If that doesn't work he should contact Triumph for advice.

Regarding the tunes, Mustang is right, there's no such thing as the off road tune, only standard tune with / without cat and aftermarket tune.  I've never seen an aftermarket pipe with a cat (what would be the point?) and there's no tune in my library for one.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

macgart

Thanks for the replies.  I was actually in the shop with the mechanic(s) during the attempt.  We could access the idle adjust and other parameters but not the tune codes.  

As stated, the only listed tunes were for aftermarket exhausts.  We felt that this was the appropriate tune.  Although we had no luck accessing the tune section.  The mechanics spoke with their sources and tried to just enter the listed code with no luck.  It was the end of the day so he did not try to contact Triumph.  

I am rarely near a dealer so I thought I'd give it a shot while there.  It seems as though it may be more trouble than I have patientce.  The shop I went to is a large euro multi-dealer (with seemingly quite competent mechanics).  I don't want to spend several hours there trying to get in to the shop and then have them try to get info from Triumph.  

I appreciate the help from you guys though.  Maybe someone here will have experienced this before.  I'm in Phoenix, AZ traveling so I have no raport with the local shop.  At least my bike runs fine.  I'd just like to get that extra that everyone speaks of.  Maybe I'll find a Triumph shop with more experience in this area.
99 Tiger "Goldie"

blacktiger

The code you're talking about is an "unlock" code which Triumph keep secret and Triumph dealers go onto the Triumph dealer website to get access.
Some people like "DealerTool" http://dealertool.web.officelive.com/default.htm and Tuneboy have gained access to the codes and sell them along with their product. They call it an "ECU key".
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

macgart

Thank you.  That makes sense.  I'm surprised the local dealer did not know that.  Oh well.  Maybe I'll give them another shot.  They are my only option.
99 Tiger "Goldie"

macgart

I finally got the aftermarket pipe map loaded.  

Here's my take:

Performance increase - a little but nothing to write home about

Fuel consumption - increased quite a bit.  I went from an avg of 45mpg to 35mpg and as low as 29mpg on the freeway.

Worth it? - No, I did the 12 minute tune up to revert to the stock tune.  Got my gas mileage back.  

Yes I have the stock pipe.  

I did not see what map the dealer loaded since I was not in the shop at the time, but the previous attempt I looked in the book with the Tech and I asked for the aftermarket pipe tune for my 885 since there is no "off-road" tune.  

Maybe he loaded one for a 955?
99 Tiger "Goldie"

iansoady

Quote from: "macgart"Worth it? - No, I did the 12 minute tune up to revert to the stock tune.  Got my gas mileage back.  

The 12 minute tune won't affect the map which is written into the ECU semi-permanently.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Mustang

:iagree
The only way to revert back to your original tune map is to reload it the same way you loaded the aftermarket map ...................

Bixxer Bob

I agree with both of the above, however, if your mileage is back to normal, that could be because you've re-set the trims with the 12 min tune(which should have been reset when the new tune was loaded; if they wern't you'd be using old trims with a new tune and that wouldn't help).
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

macgart

Thanks for the info guys.  I learn something every time I visit this site.  

The trims must have made the difference, because the mileage is definitely better.  The performance is pretty much the same.  Maybe the aftermarket can tune was already loaded and I just didn't know?  

It ran good at sea level but is pretty flat above 7k feet.  It could just be me though.  

At this altitude, I usually have to downshift to 4th to make an effective pass of a vehicle.  The power is really flat below about 6k rpm as well.  I have not done a compression/leak down test.  I wanted to check compression during my last service over the winter but didn't have access to the equipment.  

I'm probably just being paranoid.  I also got spoiled by riding my friend's 1050 Speedy so that really skews my perception of performance.  I realize they are apples and oranges.
99 Tiger "Goldie"

iansoady

Don't know about the 885 but the 955 has an air pressure sensor to compensate for altitude. This is in the ECU but is fed by a pipe from the airbox. Perhaps this pipe is crimped / missing?
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Bixxer Bob

Spot on Ian.  If it's not compensating for altitiude there's likely a leak somewhere.  The pipe connects to an elbow at the rear right side of the airbox then follows the frame rail down the right side appearing under the seat near the ECM and connecting to it.  It allows the sensor in the ECM to know the air pressure in the airbox so that the ECM can work out how much oxygen is available and meter the fuel to suit.

Regarding trims, it's not unusual for it to run a bit rough for a few miles after resetting the trims until it re-adjusts itself.  If it ran well after resetting the trims, and then got rougher, it may be a sensor not working right.

If you're unsure, it wouldn't hurt to reset the trims again and see what happens.  If it goes good then not so good after a few miles somethings sending the trims the wrong way.

iansoady

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"Spot on Ian.

Thank you kind sir. Tried that tune yet?
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Bixxer Bob

Not had a chance, been in training full time to be a civvi again.  Had a run down to Brighton and back this week (for another course), but decided best stick with a tune I know in case I run into trouble away from home.

It'll be interesting to see what it does though, if I remember right it's an 855i tune whereas my Girly is two generations of tune further on (post VIN change).