News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Cam chain Crisis/panic (am I screwed?)

Started by DocClog, June 11, 2010, 05:40:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DocClog

Hello, newbie on here but I followed the forum for a while.

I've had my '96 steamer (58K miles on the clock) for 16 months - lovely!

Riding home last week, the engine started to make an unpleasant (but not horredous) thrashing noise and then died at the lights at the lights a few minutes later and wouldn't restart, result: half a mile push home.  :(

The garage has just rung to say that one of the slippers that holds the cam chain trension has broken in two. He says if one slipper is brokan 'we' might as well replace both and the cahin as well - AND ONLY THEN will 'we' be able to see if the engine timing has skipped.

Can anyone help with a couple of questions:  :?
1. I don't understand why the broken slipper would prevent turning the engine over and checking the timing marks are alinged. Is this right?

2. Do both slippers and chain need to be replaced?

and 3. If the slipper has broken, is there much chance of bits lying the sump and causing more damage?

Thank you

BruKen

Imo (if by slipper you mean cam chain guides)

1. I don't understand why the broken slipper would prevent turning the engine over and checking the timing marks are alinged. Is this right?

Not really no. You would see if it was radically out but even then that would not neccessarily mean you've also suffered a valve - piston strike and visa versa

2. Do both slippers and chain need to be replaced?

At 58 k it would be the only sane thing to do. Most likely reason for the break is a worn cam chain

and 3. If the slipper has broken, is there much chance of bits lying the sump and causing more damage?

You could quickly establish that by assembling the broken parts, doubtful tho, but you may have damaged the pickup sensor