News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

wiring loom / coils and firing sequence

Started by BruKen, July 11, 2010, 06:58:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BruKen

Hi. After an initial fire up and rough run for a few seconds the tigger made a helluva clunk and died solid. I am presuming that when placing the wiring loom on I might have wired the coils into it incorrectly and subsequent starts ended up with a lot of backfiring but the engine never ran again. My wiring diagram does not distinguish which colour loom wires go to which coil and when putting it together I just put each wire to coil based on position and length so could well be wrong. I tried removing the pickup cover and turning the engine over watching for spark but no spark. Turn the engine over from the starter button and big spark but the plate turns too quickly to see which pickup is being sequenced to fire.
Short of some typex on the pickup plate and a timing gun (which I would need to beg, borrow or steal) is there any other way of validating the firing order so that I can check the right wires go to the right coil? Or does anyone know offhand which colour codes go to which pickups?

Also when sitting on the bike, are the cylinders from left to right, 1 2 3. I thought they were because the manual says the firing sequence is 1 2 3 but the pickup plate shows the firing sequence as 3 2 1

Any help would be much appreciated.

Bruce

rf9rider

Firing order is 1 2 3

Number 1 is the left when sat on it.

Can`t help with the wiring colours as mine has been converted to use the TT600 coils, the original wiring is hidden in the loom.

BruKen

Thanks. Got the firing sequence right and she fired up first touch of the button.... :D

Oops throttle cable too tight at the carb end I think ( no more slacking ability at throttle twist) as the motor is idling at 3k and slow to return to her 'idle' speed. (Not a sticky cable) Will have to pull the carbs to adjust... Bummer) I also got too carried away with the manual idle adjustment and went and completely unwound it.

Motor runs smoothly tho....whata sound! Instant love :D

Sin_Tiger

:hello2  :hello2  :hello2

It's worth paying for the beer just to hear that happy news :wings   :occasion14  :friday
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

BruKen

Thanks Sin :D Just waiting on the wheels now so I can proof ride her and if all is well I will be taking her to the highlands for a 10 day tour in September.

PS last night the Missus came down to the garage and asked me nicely in a do or die tone too kindly stop starting the engine up, the kids want to sleep ROFL

Geoff D

Great news Bruce.... cuppa in Hawes coming up...
The older I get the faster I was...

rybes

hello all. is there anyone out there taht can help me ? im puttin the wirin loom back on me tiger n need to know what side of the steerin stem it needs to go and where it goes behind the lights. any pics n info will be great as im stuck.

thanks a load :D
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

rybes

afternoon bruken. ya couldnt tell me what wires go to what coils ? im puttin in my wirin loom this afternoon and cant remeber what went where. cheers mate :D

BruKen

I put mine down the RHS following the underside of the spine.
As for the lights etc I pulled the main loom to the top and let the outlets loop down. Seemed to work just fine then and wire tied up nicely to the fairing subframe.

A good measuring point is the battery to frame earthing point....being the middle of the loom. Get that in place and extend from either side.

BruKen

You know, that is something I should have marked down on the electrical diagram in the book of words and didnt. I will be putting in an electrical socket in the cockpit this weekend. I will rectify my error then and let you know.

:oops:  :oops:

rybes

have ya been in ya garage today mate ? :D

rf9rider

Quote from: "rybes"have ya been in ya garage today mate ? :D

Do you still need pics of wiring Mr Rybes?

I have the front fairings off mine while i wait for my speedo cable, can take a few pics if you need them?

Although looking at the wiring on mine, its all just stuffed up behind the lights.  :lol:

BruKen

1 red and green/blue with yellow stripe
2 red and yellow with green stripe

3 on mine is all loomed up - remaining one which in the book of words is brown with yellow stripe

Hope that helps

rybes

cheers mr RF would be most apreciated :D and thank you bruken.  :wink:  watch me get ouyt there now and find out my looms coloured differntly :lol:

rf9rider

Mr Rybes, according to the manual, numbers 1 and 2 are same colour on all years, only number 3 is different on 95 and later.
So follow above.