News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

oil recomendations.

Started by rybes, August 11, 2010, 12:27:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rybes

mornin all :D im about ready for some oil for me tiger. can anyone recomend a goodun ? preferably somthin i can get all over europe (needs to be a big bottle then :lol: geddit, oh nevermind :lol:) jus phoned up one place and got quoted 55 quid for 4 litres :lol: yeah right, i dont think so. any ideas out there are welcomed. thank yooooooooooou :D
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

Mustang

an oil thread  !

Play nice boy's and girls ! :ImaPoser

rybes

aaaaaaaah, its like that is it. hmmmmmmmmmm ok. may i appologise now for any stupidty i may have just shown. i dunno do i ? :lol:

Mustang

if I have extra cash in my pocket I prefer this

but I will also use this at half the price

rf9rider

I`ve always used Halfords own brand oil, changed regularly what harm can it do?
Had many discussions on the oil subject, but when it comes down to it, oil is oil in my humble opinion.  :lol:

rybes

the reason im askin about oils is of 2 experiances ive had in the las few months. both involved changin oil and then the clutch starts to slip. id jus like opions on oils that are availibe in most places as im movin to denmark sometime before dec. knowin i can get the same oil there as here will stop me worrin if im gunna need a new clutch everytime i change me oil. if ya see what i mean ;)

93TigerBill

Main thing to remember is to avoid oils for motorcars and trucks - they contain things called 'friction modifiers', which cause the clutch slip, esp. in high-torque 'bike engines.
In other words, motorcycle specific oil only.
Triumph factory manual specifies semi-synthetic for Tigers, fully synthetic for Daytonas.
If you can possibly afford it, use fully synthetic - your kitty will thank you.

HTH
Regards,
Bill
Bill  IBA# 45911
Newcastle, Australia
\'93 Tiger Caspian Blue
130,000 km & counting!

NeilD

Quote from: "rf9rider"I`ve always used Halfords own brand oil, changed regularly what harm can it do?
:

thats what I've got in the Tiger and TBS -  and they were giving away free set of screwdrivers with it recently..  :D

bjago

Quote from: 93TigerBillMain thing to remember is to avoid oils for motorcars and trucks - they contain things called 'friction modifiers', which cause the clutch slip, esp. in high-torque 'bike engines.
In other words, motorcycle specific oil only.
Triumph factory manual specifies semi-synthetic for Tigers, fully synthetic for Daytonas.
If you can possibly afford it, use fully synthetic - your kitty will thank you.

I have never been one to buy into the motorcycle vs car specific oil issues.

I agree for some "high" hp motorcycle engines that car oil may not work, but I have used full synthetic auto oil in all my motorcycles including my 91 GSXR 750 with 75000 miles and 2 road race seasons (same clutch the entire 75000 miles) my 93 GSXR 1100 with 85000 and at least 2 road race seasons  (same clutch the entire 85000 miles), and my 98 Tiger with 80000 miles no racing  :wink:  (same clutch the entire 80000 miles).
So unless I am an anomaly,  I haven't put the money into the motorcycle shops for the purchase of cycle specific oils.  By the way the 98 Daytona and its "high" HP engine also is on Mobil 1 car oil too.   Just my .02 cents  :D
05 Triumph Tiger 45K miles (lucifer orange)
98 Triumph Tiger 80K miles (sold)
98 Triumph T595 33K miles (sold :-(
04 MV Agusta Brutale 2500 miles (wifes)
93 GSXR 1100 85K miles (totalled)
91 GSXR 750 75K miles (sold)
86 Ninja 600 (sold)

Basri...

Soon will change mine with this;

Anybody tried this ? Any experience ?

It is new relaised here in Turkey, specially improved only for motorbikes, highly recomended and more expensive than Casrtol, Shell and Mobil...
Basri,

since 1965...

Colonel Nikolai

Quote from: "Basri..."Soon will change mine with this;

Anybody tried this ? Any experience ?

It is new relaised here in Turkey, specially improved only for motorbikes, highly recomended and more expensive than Casrtol, Shell and Mobil...

Never seen it here. I use Amsoil motorcycle-formulated 10w40. I used to use Mobil 1 Racing 4T but the Amsoil is cheaper and I think it's better. I got a bump in MPG when I switched and it shifts noticeably smoother especially when cold.

However I think the differences in oil are a little overstated. Especially when we're talking synthetic. Technically the Amsoil is better because it's real POM-synthetic whereas Mobile-1 is derived from natural sources and modified to be considered synthetic but it probably doesn't matter that much. Just use oil that meets or exceeds specifications.
Mostly commuting around town on the Steamer these days.

Colonel Nikolai

I get Amsoil at $10

I get mobile 1 racing 4t at $12
Mostly commuting around town on the Steamer these days.

ramseybella

Quote from: "Colonel Nikolai"I get Amsoil at $10

I get mobile 1 racing 4t at $12

Waldo world had Mobile 1 4t for $9 and change, now I don't see it on the shelves anymore. :(

nightrunner

The M1 will come back to Waldo World.  It comes and goes at my branch too.  Originally the steamers were supposed to have Mobile 1 MX4T.  They discontinued that recently and now advise that Racing 4T is the same thing.  What they dont explain is that they have had the 4T out for a long time.  So what was the diff when both were available?

Anyway so many folks having been using the Rotella in bikes that Shell has now gotten it rated for bikes.  A very recent issue of Motorcycle Consumer News had a question about the Rotella synthetic.  The reply was that it meets all the specs for bikes.   YAY!
Scott

Seeking adventure and peril