News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

So my Data tool alarm misbehaves at alarming frequency

Started by BigMark, September 09, 2010, 12:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigMark

In Luxembourg I spent 5 hours waiting to be trailer away from a Police Comms mast 8km away until the signal was weak enough to use my thob.
In Germany following a tyre blow out we had to switch off every breakdown truck's CB in the recovery yard so I could disarm my bike
In France somewhere just outside Switzerland I can only think it was the Power lines that interfered.
In Switzerland it would not disarm until a train had passed and gone off into the distance.
And now in the UK if I go to a Shell site which has a marking on it which indicates a "Spyder Antenna" inside the price sign. It also interferes with the alarm.

Now I am terrified to ever switch off the engine, so tomorrow the circuit board is being removed.

It does mean that I am in the market for a new alarm though. Any suggestions?

n4naked

why don't you just programme in the pin number?

easy to do and it would avoid all these situations you detail....also, it would remove the worry associated with turning your engine off.

BigMark

Mostly because I can't find an inline fuse and I have not got a manual with the location written in.

Other than that I don't want to have to unset the alarm by pin in a garage with the siren wailing while I turn the ignition on and off.

It is rather annoying that it keeps arming itself every 30 seconds by which time I have barely got my gloves off.

The constant bleeping in service mode makes me want to hit it with a hammer.

I am also sure it is responsible for destroying  my batteries.

But you are probably right and I will have another look for the inline fuse first!  I really cannot figure out where the little bugger is hiding.

Jaythro

Get it outta there and fit a £20 special that beeps and flashes lights every time you stop BUT Do NOT wire the immobiliser circuits

Job done! And If you really want to Immobilise your bike hide a waterproof fuse under the saddle and "Hidden" in line with your starter and or fuel pump Stop bike lift saddle or whatever inconspicuously remove fuse or fuses and away you go

:D

Bixxer Bob

Given the (lack of) interest when I tried to sell my Girly recently, I don't think there's much chance of having it pinched.... :roll: Let's face it, no-ones gonna fancy a Girly for her looks eh?
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

rf9rider

Just had a similar problem with a Datatool 3 alarm on the wifes Fazer.
If you follow the wiring from the alarm unit, there should be an inline fuse, mine was on a wire about 3 inches away from the unit.
I just took the whole thing out and re soldered all the wiring.
Just use a decent chain now.

n4naked

i've got a datatool system 3 which came with the bike.

i've had no problems with it but i tend to regard it as a ticking time bomb but don't know enough to get rid of it.

i have programmed the pin but have never had to use it in anger but i'd settle for the 20 seconds or so of the alarm going off as opposed to waiting for hours for a trailer.

the datatool site has manauals but none of them will tell you where the in-line fuse is....that's decided by the installer.

i believe mine was factory-fitted and they used the indicator fuse, you could start with that one, you may be lucky.

BigMark

Nope, can't find fuse so my alarm is now two parts

1) whats left under the rear cowl.
2) the internal gubbins which are in my shed.

Can't risk a breakdown where i am going next week.  :lol:

n4naked

Quote from: "BigMark"Nope, can't find fuse so my alarm is now two parts

1) whats left under the rear cowl.
2) the internal gubbins which are in my shed.

Can't risk a breakdown where i am going next week.  :lol:

how easy was it to remove?

BigMark

Yes it was a pig to do. So much so i called a more intelligent than me mate who done it for me.

Not as straight forward as switching it off and pulling out the circuit board but along those lines.

I may ask him to draw me a picture as it took him all of about 2 mins to disable my alarm.

Chris Canning

I'd ban alarms,their a bloody menace,the only things their good for is flattening batteries.

Mustang

Quote from: "Chris Canning"I'd ban alarms,their a bloody menace,the only things their good for is flattening batteries.
absolutely right , they are so common place that most people don't / won't even respond to an alarm going off

SHROPSHIRELAD

Does any one know how to disarm the movement sensor on the Triumph Tiger 955i 2003 model alarms.   When I clean the bike I have to put it in workshop mode and get the bleep bleep noise all the time and when I fill up with fuel after switching off the bike the alarm will go off before I have time to finish any help would be great...

iansoady

Earthing the yellow flying lead from the control box disables the movement sensor on the System 3 (possibly the same on others). It's called "Ferry Mode".

You can also disable it by pressing the oval button when the alarm is armed.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

SHROPSHIRELAD

many thanks for that I will give it a go later