News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Ignition cutting out

Started by tazshido, September 28, 2010, 04:40:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tazshido

A couple days ago as I was parking my 06 Tiger, I turned the bars full lock to the right to back into the curb and the engine died. It fired right back up but then it happened again in the afternoon. When I got back to my garage I turned the bars back and forth and every time I got to full lock the engine would die and the dummy lights would all go out. Now I can't even get the bike started at all. The head and tail lights come on, and the brake lights work. The panel illunination comes on but the dummy lights and the fuel pump do not and nothing happens when I touch the starter button.

I did a search on this forum and found that a few people had experienced a similar problem and the culprit was generally the ignition switch. I have the Triumph binder style manual for my bike so I got into the wiring diagrams. Checking what turned on and didn't when the key was turned I have isolated the problem to the main power curcuit (green wire). This means to me it could be the ignition switch, the kill switch, the main power relay or the wiring. So over the next couple days I plan to strip my "Argo" down far enough to start checking the curcuits.

My plan is to start with the ignition switch and then check the wiring as I THINK that is the most likely cause. Am I missing something or is that a good plan? I'm very mechanically inclined but am open to suggestions in case there is something I might be overlooking.
Felis Tigris Argentum

Est non aevum, est loginquitas!
Semper Fidelis

tazshido

Got most of the fairing and stuff removed to take a closer look. I'm baffled as to how I can remove the ignition switch. I appears to me as if the switch was riveted in. I do not have a tool that can get a purchase on the bolts (?) holding the switch to the top triple tree. What gives? What do I need to remove this damn thing?
Felis Tigris Argentum

Semper Fidelis

Timbox2

Quote from: "tazshido"Got most of the fairing and stuff removed to take a closer look. I'm baffled as to how I can remove the ignition switch. I appears to me as if the switch was riveted in. I do not have a tool that can get a purchase on the bolts (?) holding the switch to the top triple tree. What gives? What do I need to remove this damn thing?

The bolts they use are the Sheer Off type( When tightened they heads shear off).  If your lucky a centre punch or similar may get them started, in fact lots of peeps have had theirs just come undone of there own accord.
2016 Tiger Sport

tazshido

It turns out I did NOT have to remove the ignition switch. The yellow wire that runs in the ignition switch loom had been pinched in the left side guage cluster mount. After the connector that curcuit does indeed run a green wire and goes to the kill switch. I can only assume that it happened when the techs installed the heated grips for the PO.

Since about a half an inch of wire had been damaged I had to solder in a small piece of wire to lengthen it because it's part of the 7 wire loom that runs from the Ignition switch to the connector. I did not want to trust a butt splice to connect that important of a wire.

The PO had ridden this bike (in this condition) all the way from Anchorage Alaska to Prudhoe Bay up the ALCAN Highway. Lucky Bastard to have gotten away with it. I just couldn't imagine trying to effect that repair on the side of the road 450 miles from the nearest MC shop.

The zip-tie job inside the fairing was attrocious. It looked like a monkey had been in there messing with things. All in all though, I am pleased with everything I found and I cleaned up the zip-ties into a much more secure way. This winter, when I do the charging system mod, I'll pull it all apart and clean and regrease all the connectors. I hate kill switches and think they are superfluous on bikes with the key up on the triple tree. I've had two stuck throttles (not on my Tiger) and never once used the kill switch
Felis Tigris Argentum

Semper Fidelis