News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Triumph OEM Heated Grips accessory kit

Started by haroldo_psf, October 04, 2010, 07:43:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

haroldo_psf

I was wondering if anyone has this or if there is a picture of the setup somewhere.

It list's for $197 dollars. At this price, I was wondering what the appeal is?

Is there a cute infinite adjustment knob that nicely integrates somewhere?

What is "prettier" about the Triumph OEM setup compared, to, for example, the Hot Grips setup that goes for $100 bucks and also has the heating element built into the grip?

This is the HotGrips:

http://www.hotgrips.com/store.php?rn=13 ... how_detail
2000 Tiger 885i

walker

The stock grips have a button that mounts on the left of your instrument cluster. Rectangular block off plate about 2" long.

Wires right in to existing connectors. Nice quality grip. Only 3 positions on the switch - low, off, and high.

I see them listed at hermy's for $180.

I liked the OEM integration better.... and, you can get just one grip from triumph if one goes bad, instead of an entire kit. But, there is something to say for the cost difference! I keep waffling on getting that brand for a bonneville I have - I already have heated gloves, but there are a lot of times where that isn't needed, and the heated grips are just the ticket.

John Stenhouse

I would love a nice twiddly adjuster, sometimes mine are too hot on low!
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

haroldo_psf

Quote from: "walker"The stock grips have a button that mounts on the left of your instrument cluster. Rectangular block off plate about 2" long.

Wires right in to existing connectors. Nice quality grip. Only 3 positions on the switch - low, off, and high.

I see them listed at hermy's for $180.

I liked the OEM integration better.... and, you can get just one grip from triumph if one goes bad, instead of an entire kit. But, there is something to say for the cost difference! I keep waffling on getting that brand for a bonneville I have - I already have heated gloves, but there are a lot of times where that isn't needed, and the heated grips are just the ticket.

SOLD!

that's what I'll get then.
thanks   :D
2000 Tiger 885i

haroldo_psf

somebody just reminded me that I have shorter handlebars, not the stock ones. I have the stock bars as well in my garage, but I like the riding position as it is.

Do the Triumph OEM Heated Grips kit require the handle bars to be pre-drilled for the wires?
2000 Tiger 885i

walker

on the left side you could probably get away with it.... you'd need a small hole to fish the wires out.... on the throttle side, since the wires stick in towards the inside, you need a cutout in the bar so they can move.... the stock bar has half the circumference of the bar along about a 2 inch section cut out.... that's to clear the wires for the heated grip.

cosmo

I've the "Hot Grips" brand, and "HippoHands".
Paid about $80US and $20 for a Subaru switch ('cause it's cool, fits the hole, is illuminated AND lights up when 'on'). I don't see the need to spend $97 MORE on the same thing, basically. My $97 went for the HippoHands.

John, if it's too warm, either use a bigger resistor, or another resistor and a three way switch. You didn't wire the grips in parallel, did you?? That will definitely make them too warm...

Cosmo
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

haroldo_psf

Quote from: "cosmo"I've the "Hot Grips" brand, and "HippoHands".
Paid about $80US and $20 for a Subaru switch ('cause it's cool, fits the hole, is illuminated AND lights up when 'on'). I don't see the need to spend $97 MORE on the same thing, basically. My $97 went for the HippoHands.

John, if it's too warm, either use a bigger resistor, or another resistor and a three way switch. You didn't wire the grips in parallel, did you?? That will definitely make them too warm...

Cosmo

I have Hot Grips on my Concours 1400 (1400GTR) and I love them. I will just go with the same HotGrips on the Triumph then. They are cheaper, do the same thing very efficiently, and require no drilling.
The only complaint I have is that they seem to wear on the outside with time, kinda like a tire. Do you notice that?
2000 Tiger 885i