News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

2001 955i won't idle

Started by johnwesley, October 12, 2010, 12:51:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnwesley

I have a 2001  955i that will not idle, it takes 1/8 throttle to bring it up to about 1500 rpm and then is sound like its missing and is running really rich with black smoke out the tail pipe. At 3,000 rpm she runs normal. I made a mistake by washing it, tigers should stay dirty. After the bath I took her out for a spin and she ran well, after I came home I turned it off and pushed it into the shop to lube the chain. that is when it started acting up.  my first thought was water in the tank so I ran the tank out and put in some heet to deal with the water. No change. I think maybe the washing time and engine issue may just be happen stance. any advice?

just for info the bike sometimes would turn over without cranking, but the next stab at the stater button she would fire up like normal. Also on occasion there is a squal when you turn on the key and it sould like possible fuel pump or maybe pressure regulator.

so anybody have a clue?

Danny955i

Every time I turn they key on and hit the kill switch to ON my fuel pump makes a racket... sort of a "Guuurrrrr Git Git Git Gurrrrrrrrr Buzzzz"

Totally normal from what I understand.

When was the last time you changed your fuel filter?
What about had a throttle body balance?
What about the air filter?
What about the battery? Fully charged??

Sounds to me you just need some general maintenance and a quick pop on TuneECU to check for errors and re-set the TPS.

johnwesley

just got it about 3 weeks ago. put around 7,000 miles on and runs perfect and then in a instant this happens. Tomorrow i am tearing into it, but I doubt it is a filter problem normally that gradually get bad. Well see

battery is charged fully.

How do you reset the tps?

haroldo_psf

Just a thought, but this bike uses an unecessarily complitated closed loop idling system.

The ECU senses via the TPS that you shut the thorttle off. Then it actuates a stepper motor (IACV) and it controls a small amount of air into the TBs. The crankshaft position sensor tells the ECU when to fire.

So, you have the ECU, Coils, spark plugs, TPS, IACV, and crankshaft sensor involved in the process of idling.

Chances are your ECU, sparkplugs, and coils are functional. If I were you, I would order the remaining two sensors and one actuator (TPS, crank sensor, and IACV), and replace them all.

I just got a 2000 885i with 50K on the odo. EVERY time I shut the throttle when coming to a stop, it would die. After the surgery, it is fixed.
2000 Tiger 885i

johnwesley

Sounds about right mine has about 45,000 on it now

Where is a good place to get the parts

haroldo_psf

Quote from: "johnwesley"Sounds about right mine has about 45,000 on it now

Where is a good place to get the parts

if you want them fast, www.worldoftriumph.com has had EVERYTHING I needed in stock. They are based in the UK, but shippments typically arrive here withing 5 business days.

The other option is your local Triumph dealer.... But they typically don't have things in stockl. My dealer had a 1 month wait on the TPS sensor.

My least favorite place to get Triumph parts is bikebandit.com, as they have a generic 3 weeks lead time on ANY Triumph part.

Of course, you should make sure you order the appropriate gaskets...I know you will need at least the throttle body gasket to replace the TPS sensor.

I ordered a set of nice Wiha torx bits set, directly from the Wiha site. The cheapo craftsman and equivalent are kinda chamfered on the tip, and prone to stripping screws, and that would suck in hard to reach places like the bolts that hold the TBs in place. just a thought...
2000 Tiger 885i

Bixxer Bob

Just to ad to what Haroldo said, the torx screws holding the TBs in place are quite soft; some have been known to strip them.  If you have any trouble allen screw replacements are the way forward.

I did  a TPS change "how to" a bit back, it's on here somewhere....
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

haroldo_psf

Bob (John :) )

Out of curiosity.... What typically happens when people strip the TB screw(s)?

Its not like there is enough room there to reach with an Easy Out drill... How do people get out of this pickle?

I am just worried that when I remove them again, one of the screws I kinda slipped the torx on it a little... I checked again and I could get a bite, but I'm just worried that when I remove it next time (will I need to?), I might be in trouble. Then what?
2000 Tiger 885i

Bixxer Bob

Prevention is better than cure.  Use good quality tools for a good fit and to reduce the chances of any rounding off.

If you do round, go in with a nice sharp drill the same size as the thread.  The drill will take the bolt head off without damaging anything else as long as you are careful and keep in the centre.  Once the tension is off the bolt ( and whatever the bolt was holding in place is removed) you should be able to get the bolt out with a stud remover, although I managed with a mole wrench.  Generally you are not overcoming corrosion, just the threadlock used to stop the bolts shaking loose.

That's the theory.  In the case of the TBs, getting a drill to it could be the main challenge.  

If the bolt shears off while using the stud extractor, then you're in deep.  RF9Rider (I think) has a procedure for removing stuck bolts which sounded good using a 12-spline torx bit which is detailed on another thread somewhere.  I'd probably go for a drill the dia used to tap the bolt hole in the first place, then use a tap to clean the thread out.  It's risky though if you aren't practiced.  You'll more likely end up with a figure-of-eight hole.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

johnwesley

I've striped it down and nothing obvious. All filters good gaskets all lood good. Plugs are black and wet. The bike continued to get worse until it would start. I beleive that is be ause it was running so rich it fouled the plugs out. Back fires and spits but no start. I may just order the above parts any thoughts?

haroldo_psf

You need plugs too then.
I'm not saying this is the cause, but one possible scenario is that your IACV is not moving properly during start up and idle preventing air from getting in the TBs, causing you rich condition. Not sure, just theorizing. Also, a faulty TPS sensor would prevent the ECU from knowing that throttle is shut, thus also causing the IACV not to open when it should. Again, just theorizing, and others with more experience with the Tigers will propably jump in and correct me if I'm off line.

If you are also going to replace the crankshaft pos. sensor, you need the clutch cover gasket. For the TPS sensor, the TBs will have to come out, so you will need the TBs gasket too.

I believe after you replace these sensors, plugs, IACV, and respective gaskets, you will without a doubt improve / change your situation, and IF you still have issues, it should be easier to narrow down the cause.

Keep us posted on your progress.
2000 Tiger 885i

Mustang

Quote from: "johnwesley"Back fires and spits but no start. ................ any thoughts?

start with
 1. what are the valve clearances , if you have some intakes at zero clearance you have found the problem

tight intakes will cause the above symptoms

Bixxer Bob

Also, the crank sensor on the 885i and the 955i are different (and different prices as well).

johnwesley

No good yet. Replaced all filter and plugs.  Fresh charge on battery. Same condition. Running extreemly rich with black smoke and will not idledue to richness.  The old plugs that were pulled are black and wet.

Timbox2

Quote from: "johnwesley"I have a 2001  955i that will not idle, it takes 1/8 throttle to bring it up to about 1500 rpm and then is sound like its missing and is running really rich with black smoke out the tail pipe. At 3,000 rpm she runs normal. I made a mistake by washing it, tigers should stay dirty. After the bath I took her out for a spin and she ran well, after I came home I turned it off and pushed it into the shop to lube the chain. that is when it started acting up.  my first thought was water in the tank so I ran the tank out and put in some heet to deal with the water. No change. I think maybe the washing time and engine issue may just be happen stance. any advice?

just for info the bike sometimes would turn over without cranking, but the next stab at the stater button she would fire up like normal. Also on occasion there is a squal when you turn on the key and it sould like possible fuel pump or maybe pressure regulator.

so anybody have a clue?

If I have had the tank off, the first time I turn the ignition on there is a squealing as the fuel pump builds pressure back up, but also I noticed that when my IACV packed up it also made weird noises when i first turned on, Given that your problems seem to be related to idle I would check the IACV valve and all the hoses out, but also it may even be worth pulling the connectors off the brain and cleaning the terminals with contact cleaner or similar, Ive read recently on here about a guy with similar symptoms which doing this fixed it.
2016 Tiger Sport