News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Hi! (Need technical support)

Started by Hassan, October 24, 2010, 12:35:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bixxer Bob

I'm guessing they've fitted an O2 sensor bypass.  You need to find the O2 sensor plug on the main loom - if it's like a 955i it'll be under the tank and airbox, ontop of the cylinderhead near the left coilstick.  The plug will have one purple, one black one white and one grey wire  (that's from mremory but look in the recent PM I sent you to be sure).  My guess is there'll be a black plastic device plugged into it if it's a Dynojet one, or it may just be a resistor across two of the pins if they've done a lashup.  Either will fool the ECU into seeing an O2 sensor.

Right now, I stand by what I said: get the right map in, get the long term trim down to between 4.1 to 4.5 , set the stepper motor steps to about -10 and see how it goes before you throw any more money at it.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

ChazzyB

Quote from: "Hassan"Someone removed it.

The Interesting thing is;

Why TuneEcu didn't give any trouble codes about it?

The ECU ony registers a fault and stores a DTC for the O2 sensor heater circuit missing.

I recently tried resistors in place of the O2 lambda sensor. a big wire-wound 330 ohm job replaced the heater circuit and a small 1 mega ohm job made the ECU think the sensor was giving 4.3 volts (4.5-4.6v is Lambda-ish). I had wanted to use a 1.2 meg ohm resistor but couldn't get one in time. I had measured a chum's Dynojet plug to get the 330 ohm /1.2 mg ohm values. I could use the plug myself as it was the wrong connector for my bike. It was the wrong connector for his bike too.... ;-)
Charles
1971 BSA A65L Lightning
1953 AJS 18S

Bixxer Bob

Good info Chazzy but, as I was trying to get across to Hassan, the whole O2 thing is a bit of a red herring.  The O2 sensor missing isn't going to cause the problems Hassan is having.  He needs to get the bike back to base settings first.  He's been running a Daytona map with an long term fuel trim of over 11  :shock:

Most likely, the previous owner or his dealer removed the O2 sensor because it wasn't working not realising that the non functioning O2 sensor had already wound the trim up to 11.  When it wouldn't run right they sold it on.  Only guessing of course but the theory fits.

If he gets the base settings right, it'll run somwhere near normal, then he can work through the fine fettling until it's ok.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Hassan

Thanks,

I'm afraid they also not fitted an O2 eliminator...

:shock:  :BangHead

On the right side,there's a Lonely black socket...

With six pins and four wires on it,he's waitin' for the day he'll transmit volts again...

:cry:  :?:
 :D
\'99 885i

Hassan

I'm interested in bypassing it,if I can fit the voltage to "normal" settings,it'll be alright and save my 100 GBP's.

I'll do the tuneecu settings in the afternoon.
\'99 885i

ChazzyB

Quote from: "Hassan"I'm interested in bypassing it,if I can fit the voltage to "normal" settings,it'll be alright and save my 100 GBP's.

"Bypassing" the O2 sensor is done with a pair of resistors, as per my earlier post. I used a 3 watt wire-wound 330ohm resistor across the sensor heater pair, as I'd read of smaller sized components getting very hot. For the sensor itself, I used a small metal film resistor.
Charles
1971 BSA A65L Lightning
1953 AJS 18S

Hassan

Is it alright if I fit the voltage to 4.5?

My bike is a '99 Tiger.
\'99 885i

iansoady

Quote from: "ChazzyB"
Quote from: "Hassan"I'm interested in bypassing it,if I can fit the voltage to "normal" settings,it'll be alright and save my 100 GBP's.

"Bypassing" the O2 sensor is done with a pair of resistors, as per my earlier post. I used a 3 watt wire-wound 330ohm resistor across the sensor heater pair, as I'd read of smaller sized components getting very hot.

Not sure why that should be as with 14 volts across it it's only going to be taking .04 amps ie around .5 watts.....

But probably better to be safe.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Hassan

I'm sorry guys,There's a misunderstanding (My Fault)

My bike is actually a Kawasaki KLR 650 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:

HAAAHHH HAH HHAHH HAHHH....

:D  :D  :D

Just joking.

My bike actually doesn't have any O2 sensor as original,so just like in Sprint models the O2 thing is manually adjusted.

I've seen the O2 sensor in the parts locator and thought it's on 99 models but it belongs to mark II of 885i's I think (model 2000)

Hmm,what's that black socket then???(next to the injector sockets near the starter solenoid,with four cables and six pins on it)

This thing is getting more complicated in each step...

:icon_scratch
\'99 885i

Bixxer Bob

It's probably the redundant socket that folks ask about from time to time.  Can't remember what it was for, but it's not used on the Tiger.

So you never had an O2 sensor, but you have a Daytona map.  I can't think what the previous owner / dealer was up to.  Hopefully resetting the trim will be a step forward.

What I'd give to have this in my workshop for an afternoon instead of trying to help from 1000 miles away...  :roll:

topher0268

Now I'm considering coming up with a fictitious problem with my Tiger just to have an excuse to bring it to your shop ... always wanted to ride through your neck of the woods  :wink:
2000 Tiger "Girly in Blue"
1976 Honda CB550 F (getting cafe treatement)

Bixxer Bob

Given the lack of success with Chazzy B, Metalguru or Hassan's issues, you'd be a brave man  :roll:

Meanwhile, I'm running fairly happy with the new Triumph tune  :)

topher0268

what can I say ... they're made of brass  8)

Besides I've heard good things about this warm beer tradition you fellas got going on across the pond ...  I mean that's just weird .. but I'll try anything twice  :D
2000 Tiger "Girly in Blue"
1976 Honda CB550 F (getting cafe treatement)

Hassan

\'99 885i

Hassan

It's hard to understand why it started to have a high tickover just after the Tps resetting...

Changin' the stepper and CO settings helped the rich running problem I think.

Thanks Bob.
\'99 885i