News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Hi! (Need technical support)

Started by Hassan, October 24, 2010, 12:35:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hassan

Hi there,

I'm just about to buy a '99 tiger 885i.but I got some unanswered questions in my head...

I used to ride thumpers,carbed bikes.So didn't give a damn about sensors or any other digital parts except cdi unit all the time.

Thanks for sharing your wisdom,I've read some topics here and started to figure out things a bit.

Questions:

1-The bike I want to buy is working at rich mixture and has the idle speed like 3000 rpm's.I think it's the O2 sensor.??

2-I've heard that '99 tigers got different ECU's and some other parts than '00 and '01 models.Is it true??

3-I can't find any triumph service to plug the bike via OBD II and check things in digital,got any advice to do some self-made solutions?
Like buying an universal cable and doing the software check myself.

Just shocked a bit after using simplest,trouble free Old fashioned Dual sport bikes...

:shock:

4-The bike is moving a little when changing gears while stopping,dealer told me that the clutch discs have changed a few months ago....
Is this normal with Tigers??

5-I haven't found any manuals for this bike,I also want to check compression of pistons before I buy it,so I need min. and max. compression values.

By the way,the bikes mileage is 60000.Sounds mechanically good.
\'99 885i

John Stenhouse

A 99 bike is an 885i rather than the later 955s, The whole engine is different from the later bikes and the ECU is a different beast altogether. The early ones are twice the size of the later ones. Haynes do a manual which would give you most of the compression values.

If it's moving when you put it into gear, my guess would be the clutch is dragging, either adjust, if that fails to cure it the clutch basket may be notched, that's a strip down and either fettle or replace.

3000 rpm at idle is hope less, should be 11/1200, only way to adjust these is in the ECU and yes you can buy a cable and there is free software out there from TuneECU.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

John Stenhouse

OK according to Haynes (Don't take this as gospel, they often make mistakes) There is no set figures for compression, but genrally the range is from 140 to 200 psi, that's 10 to 14 bar, anything out of those should be considered suspect, and a variance of more than 25psi between cylinders should also be investigated.

The check should be done HOT, in other words run to operating temp then take the plugs out.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED  :lol:
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Hassan

Thanks for the comments.
\'99 885i

Hassan

I've bought it,

It's a beast really.The clutch is just allright,and the bike is not idlin' high,its got the throttle open.

But also good response to throttle??? (TPS ???)

Very very low rate of air in fuel mixture...

I've got lots of trouble,sometimes it's climbing up to 4000-4500 rpm's.
 :(

Want to do a digital check Via ECU so I see the non working parts I hope...
\'99 885i

haroldo_psf

Just do yourself a favor and replace the inexpensive IACV stepper, IACV gasket,  TB gasket, and TPS sensor right away. If money grew on trees I'd say also go ahead and replace the crankshaft sensor, which is what I did, and it was the last thing to make the bike run like new. I bought it with 50K miles in August, and it wouldn't even idle. Fast forward two months and the previous owner is regreting to have sold it.

I would replace the things the ECU need to correctly manage the engine BEFORE messing with the A/F settings in the ECU. You shouldn't need to fix anything in the map if sensors and actuators are OK.
2000 Tiger 885i

Hassan

Thanks,

I've also noticed that the fuel pressure regulator had no hose attached to it.

I'm away from my bike right now,I'll strip it down and check everything when I'm back home.
\'99 885i

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "Hassan"Thanks,

I've also noticed that the fuel pressure regulator had no hose attached to it....

Not sure I understand how that can work, the fuel rail is running at pump pressure???

If so, it would explain a helluva lot of your running issues.  With above normal fuel pressure, the metering of the fuel injectors is all ****ed up and she's getting far more fuel than she should.

I suspect the sensor is faulty too, otherwise why would the PO disconnect it?  Don't assume faulty though, no point in wasting money.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

iansoady

After around 2004 IIRC there was no hose attached to the regulator (the round plated object with a spigot sticking out of the side of the pump mounting plate). All it does is to monitor ambient air pressure to provide a reference - air doesn't flow in or out.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Hassan

so...
That Sagem part has no hose attached to it...
The one that's seen with a hose in the picture.(on the right side of panel)

Maybe the bike is just freely burnin' what the fuel pump pumps to the injectors...

So the revolution per minute goes up and up...

Dunno,this bike is really complicated.

Wish to be able to do a check up with obd II.

And order all parts I need in one package.
\'99 885i

Hassan

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"
Quote from: "Hassan"Thanks,

I've also noticed that the fuel pressure regulator had no hose attached to it....

Not sure I understand how that can work, the fuel rail is running at pump pressure???

If so, it would explain a helluva lot of your running issues.  With above normal fuel pressure, the metering of the fuel injectors is all ****ed up and she's getting far more fuel than she should.

I suspect the sensor is faulty too, otherwise why would the PO disconnect it?  Don't assume faulty though, no point in wasting money.

Aw...

If the injectors also damaged becouse of high pressure...

I'm really Doomed!!!!

:shock:  :(  :idea:

Thanks a lot for all replies!
\'99 885i

Bixxer Bob

No, ignore my comment, I misunderstood what you said, Iansoady's explained.

My tank sideplate doesn't look anything like that so I was puzzled by you remark, that's all.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Hassan

After a midnight ride I've understood that when the bike is forced to rev less (with brakes),It just goes to normal until I open throttle again.

I mean when I'm riding it opens throttle like I'm twisting the handgrip a little,but after braking and lowering rpm to around 1800...It goes back to normal.Just idling...

Maybe this will guide to find the problem...
\'99 885i

Hassan

So,

I've rode it on a long trip and burnt very much gas than I expected!

I'm also suspectin' the fuel pump regulator...

I think a '99 Girly just can't spend that much gas even IACV stays fully closed and all sensors are in bad condition (25 miles per gallon or 10 liters in 100 km's)

Anyway,I never regret to have this bike  :P

Any ideas?
\'99 885i

iansoady

You still don't seem to have checked the obvious - IACV sticking / leaks in pipework / throttle bodies.

FI engines' idling speed is not controlled by a throttle stop like carburated engines. They work by bleeding a controlled amount of air into the throttle bodies via the IACV (stepper motor). The amount this opens is determined by the ECU monitoring the engine speed and supplying more / less air.

The ECU then calculates the correct amount of fuel to inject based on the map wrt to engine speed etc.

I really find it hard to believe you're only getting 25mpg - I get 50 from my 04 model (UK gallons) although I don't go howling around at 10,000 rpm all day. Using that much petrol there's be black smoke out of the exhaust and the plugs would be filthy.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650