News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

broke my shock

Started by tyger, October 31, 2010, 02:48:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

topher0268

Sorry for dragging up this old post but I have one of these Hagon Shocks. It's curently in perfect working order (rebuilt by sasquatch and a first rate job at that).

It seems that the weak point in the lower mount is that brass bushing. I guess it tends to draw moisture / dirt / etc ... and there's no good way to keep it greased.

So here's my question. Has anyone thought to try to source a needle bearing for both mounts to eliminate the seizure problem? Are there any issues / warnings I need to know about before I go down this route?

I've added a zerk fitting to the lower mount and had a local machine shop machine a channel in the middle of the bushing for grease but I'm thinking if I can find needle bearings of the correct dimensions that might be the way to go ... what do you think?????
2000 Tiger "Girly in Blue"
1976 Honda CB550 F (getting cafe treatement)

NKL

If you keep the bottom bearing greased it will be fine, what year is yours, my '06 model is easy to knock the pin out and re grease the bush, when I stripped mine I was surprised to find the bearing surface was the outer surface of the bush and had two small o-rings sealing it.
I\'m immortal..........well so far!!!
-----------------------------------
\'08 KTM 990 Adventure
\'91 Black XTZ 750
\'10 TM 250 EN
\'07 CCM 404
Renault Traffic 100

topher0268

Quote from: "NKL"If you keep the bottom bearing greased it will be fine, what year is yours, my '06 model is easy to knock the pin out and re grease the bush, when I stripped mine I was surprised to find the bearing surface was the outer surface of the bush and had two small o-rings sealing it.

Mine is a 2000 885i. Mine is setup exactly the same. Both upper and lower mounts are brass bushings with an oring seal on either side. the upper mount has these really thin seals. One of them has snapped on me and I'm having one HECK of a time finding a replacement seal. Seems to be a .9mm thick x 18.7 mm ID seal. Has to be thin enough to slide in there and thick enough to retain the grease.

I'll post some pics of the zerk fitting mod when I get the chance. Seems to make the lower mount MUCH easier to grease.
2000 Tiger "Girly in Blue"
1976 Honda CB550 F (getting cafe treatement)