News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

broke my shock

Started by tyger, October 31, 2010, 02:48:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyger

It appears my rear shock snapped yesterday on the ride home from my week's trip up to MO. I thought it was riding a little low and bouncing a bit much.
It's not OEM, the PO had obviously replaced it and I do not know why or when.

Suggestions on a replacement?
\'05 Tiger, BRG
tyger, tyger, burning bright...
What immortal hand or eye/ Could frame thy fearful symmetry? (W.Blake)

jwray76

so was it just supporting the weight of the bike by resting in that hole on the swing arm??? Pretty cool you were actually able to make it home with that thing broken. If it is aftermarket you can probably get it rebuilt/fixed.

Timbox2

The Red spring suggests it could be a Hagon, a UK company. If it is they would probably repair/rebuild, but the turn round time could be excessive you being over the pond. Has it got remote preload?
2016 Tiger Sport

BigMark

Oh Man, That Sucks..

Take some nice piccies and send them to Hagon they will know for sure and should offer you a repair. They shouldnt break like that!

tyger

Thanks, my thoughts too: Hagon, send them pics.

I wonder if the bottom bolt was over-torqued and that prevented it from rotating freely as the arm traveled....
\'05 Tiger, BRG

Chris Canning

Quote from: "tyger"Thanks, my thoughts too: Hagon, send them pics.

I wonder if the bottom bolt was over-torqued and that prevented it from rotating freely as the arm traveled....

Makes no difference it runs on a bearing.

I'd say Hagon would be more than interested to have the shock back,and while that shouldn't happen,Hagon is pretty bargain basement.

tyger

Chris, who do you recommend as a replacement?
\'05 Tiger, BRG

Chris Canning

I'd go for a Wilbers.

Because you are not able to order one with telling them your wieght or ride with a pillon or carry Luggage,so they come pretty close to spec out of the box.

I'm not saying this just because I own a set(although I do on my K1200r Sport) and if you order the very top line in spec as good as an Ohlins,but because the represent a good middle of road spec/quality/price in a lower spec.

Go for the remote preload shock,even if you do not ride with a pillion and rarely use the preload,it'll be a lot easier to sell,and there will be a lot less damage rather than faffing about with a C spanner.

tyger

ouch! a thousand bucks for Wilbers?...
Ohlins doesn't seem able to come up with a fit for Tigers.

Anybody try Works Performance? a bit cheaper than Wilbers and on my side of the big puddle (thinking support is easier, having a Triumph over here is trouble enough ;).  I'm googling looking for reviews. The bad reviews seem to slightly outweight the good on Works brand.

This is odd... It appears that wilbersusa.com doesn't SELL wilbers, only YSS and hyperpro. But they will service wilbers. Some one lost his franchise license to wilbersamerica (ted porter's beemershop apparently).
I find myself not wanting wilbers, now.

Hyperpro any good? Honestly, they all look about the same to me. I read that they use a lot of the same components. Maybe it's just the age old question of was your shock/car/tv made on a monday by a hung-over employee, or on Friday by someone whose mind was on tonight? :o
\'05 Tiger, BRG

KuzzinKenny

Hey tyger !! Broken Shock  :shock:  that should never happen !!

what about this guy.......

http://www.sasquatchrider.com/index.html

i think he's on here  :roll:  :lol:

good luck !!

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

Sasquatch

Someone page me?

I am a rep for HyperPro.  Ordered and built to your specs.  Send me an email via my website and I can quote one for you tomorrow.

But I also second the opinion of contacting Hagon and see if they will warrant that unit.  Probably not, but worth a try.

I have a custom Hagon on my bike as well.  Custom as in I gutted it and built it to my specs.  Anyway, the lower pivot requires constant greasing.  I am going to pull it this winter and install a grease zerk fitting in it so I can hit it with the grease gun.  

This is not the first Hagon I have seen snap at the shaft like that due to the lower pivot seizing up.

tyger

Already done, Sasquatch!
I want a zerk on mine... It would squeak and I would shoot some aerosol grease in there to shut it up, obviously that's not enough.
\'05 Tiger, BRG

Chris Canning

My Wilbers came from the States!!

jwray76

Quote from: "Sasquatch"Someone page me?
I have a custom Hagon on my bike as well.  Custom as in I gutted it and built it to my specs.  Anyway, the lower pivot requires constant greasing.    

Does the stock require grease attention like this as well? BTW once the funds are available (well the wife releases them) I will be talking to Sasquatch about getting my Girly sorted as well.

Sasquatch

Quote from: "jwray76"
Quote from: "Sasquatch"Someone page me?
I have a custom Hagon on my bike as well.  Custom as in I gutted it and built it to my specs.  Anyway, the lower pivot requires constant greasing.    

Does the stock require grease attention like this as well? BTW once the funds are available (well the wife releases them) I will be talking to Sasquatch about getting my Girly sorted as well.

All pivot points on a bike need routine maintenance.  But it does not to be as sensitive as the Hagon.