News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

ecu exchange on a 955i tiger

Started by Daddy Bear, November 05, 2010, 07:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daddy Bear

:D is the ecu just a straight swap or will it need to be coded any help pls thanks DB

Bixxer Bob

Hi DB,  it's a straight swap, provided the replacement ECU has a compatible map for your bike and it's the same model of ECU.

I have a second ECU for my Girly which came with a Daytona map.  To say it ran rough is an understatement.  I blew in a Tiger map using TuneECU and then it was fine.

Just be careful with the connectors, the pins are very fine.  Oh, and why are you swapping it?  And where are you?
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Daddy Bear

ay up thanks for the reply i will have to sourse one then , the reason i need to swap it because the fuel light will not come on when empty also the fuel gauge will not read , i have done all the relevent tests ,resistance and such like, so the only avenue is ECU unfortunatly DB

Daddy Bear

oh yes im in the UK a little place called Biddulph in Stafordshire , DB

Bixxer Bob

I would probably bet on it not bieng the ECU, so if you're up for a ride over to the Huntingdon area, you can try my spare if you like,  might save you a bob or two.  I'm retired (sort of) so timing is pretty much up to you.  I'll be busy next weekend though, it being Armistice an' all.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Daddy Bear

thanks for the offer very nice , the bike is at work and im tryin to fix it i have tested evry mortal thing just nothing to show all points to the ecu , if i plug it in will it show an error code in the ECU ?

Timbox2

Have you taken the sender unit out of the tank?

Mine was doing the same thing and it was the float stuck towards the bottom of the tube, always showed nearly empty, but not low enough for the light to come on, I manged to free mine off and its been fine ever since
2016 Tiger Sport

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "Daddy Bear"thanks for the offer very nice , the bike is at work and im tryin to fix it i have tested evry mortal thing just nothing to show all points to the ecu , if i plug it in will it show an error code in the ECU ?

First, I'll re-state I think it's very unlikely it's the ECU, they almost never go wrong and if they do, it's usually the fueling they mess up.  I can remember only one on here and I think it was Hockley Boy but I'm probably wrong on that.

Next, I think Tim's right - that's where your fault is likely to be and no amount of testing will reveal a fault like that because everything's doing what it should ie not showing anything because the float's jammed at the bottom, not an electrical fault.

Lastly, and to answer your question, if it is the float, and it's stuck but everything else is ok, you won't have any codes.  Also, if there were codes to read the MIL light would be on.  Oh, and if the ECU was playing up, you couldn't trust the codes anyway.  

If you do decide to pop over and try my spare ECU, it's a fairly straight run over here, if I remember right you're near Stoke so it's a nice run down the A50, M1 to Leics, pick up the A47 to the A1 and you're nearly here.  Quick try of the ECU  and a bacon buttie, then home in the afternoon :wink:

Sasquatch

His problem may be in the ECU.  I am having a problem with my fuel gauge that I also have tracked down to the ECU.

Occasionally, after filling my bike and resuming my trip, my gauge will act very strange.  The fuel level will be full, like it should be, then after a few minutes of travel it will start falling to empty.  It will set the low fuel light, then start climbing back up to full.  Within seconds of hitting full it will start falling again to empty and the cycle keeps repeating.  The only way to clear the problem is to stop the bike, shut it off and have lunch.  As soon as it sits a while it works perfectly.

Before you say anything about the sender, I have replaced it with a new updated sender and the problem is EXACTLY the change.  You simply would not find two senders having the exact same problem.  I also swapped out the one from my dads perfectly working Tiger and it did the same, so the sender is not the problem.  If the gauge was faulty, it would not set the low fuel light.

I was getting a low fuel input voltage code in the ECM.  So I ran all new wires from the ECM to the fuel sender and to grounds to ensure that all voltages were perfect and there was not breaks in the wires.

Last on the list is the ECM.

Timbox2

fair enough Sasquatch, think yours is that way then, but I wouldnt want to go down the ECU route before checking, mine was obviously the sender unit when I pulled it and saw the float stuck in the tube, I was lucky then.

Still, with Bobs offer of trying an ECU, spose its worth a go, easier than pulling the tank etc.
2016 Tiger Sport

Bixxer Bob

I've had the same problem off and on with the fuel gauge, exactly as Sasquatch describes except in my case it clears itself after a few miles without the need to stop and reset so either we have a common problem in the gauge or a common problem in the ECU.  But if it's ECU, I can't see why it's triggered by filling up.  Time for some pondering I think.  Unfortunately, it's a while since mine did it so swapping the ECU wouldn't help at the moment.

Bixxer Bob

Ok, pondered a bit.  First I think, judging by Sasquatch's famous wiring mod that he has a better grounding in electics than me, so be gentle with me.  

Gauge, light and ECU share the same ground point so I'm assuming that's been checked.

Gauge has two resistors, either of which, if faulty, could influence this.  

Sas, what codes did you get exactly?  P0230, P0462, P0463, P1231, P1232, P1611, P1612, P1621, P1622

Mustang

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"Sas, what codes did you get exactly?  P0230, P0462, P0463, P1231, P1232, P1611, P1612, P1621, P1622

PO462 and 463 are fault codes for the sender unit giving the wrong voltage when the ecu expects something else ..............
my truck is in the shop right now getting a new fuel sender for this very problem . ...............Tiger with an OBD II system is the same

Bixxer Bob

:thumbsup  I listed all the fuel-related codes direct from the Triumph manual in the hope I could jog Sas's memory.

iansoady

TBH, if my fuel gauge didn't work and the only cure was changing the ECU I'd be tempted to ignore it and just use the trip.....
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650