News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

ecu exchange on a 955i tiger

Started by Daddy Bear, November 05, 2010, 07:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bixxer Bob

Cheapest on Ebay at the moment is £65 out of a Sprint.

Most seem to run at about £100-120
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Daddy Bear

hello chaps that makes very interesting reading , i have changed the fuel level sender ,no change the original one had the resistance tests fine 13 ohms full & 90 ohms empty and all points in between .seems like a common problem , i have the isolated wiring diagram for the fuel sender circut its at work so i will scan it to morra and post it many thanks for your thoughts and help DB

Daddy Bear

hello chaps again where is the wiring mod on the forum thanks DB

Daddy Bear

hello chaps found it thanks DB

Sasquatch

I can not remember the code.  I would have to pull it again.  

Grounds have been checked and cleaned.  If a resistor was a problem, it would be constant weather or not the bike was filled.  And, it would not fix itself.  Same with a faulty ground.  While my problem is not very consistent as I can go for a whole trip with no problem, then boom, the next three fillups it happens.  But, while mine is consistent, it does not happen enough for me to swap ecm's with my dad to see if the problem tracks.

A bad ground would happen at other times than a fill up.

When a resistor fails, it fails, and the problem would go into a hard failure mode (easy to diagnose)

Loose wiring, bad connectors, etc, would have the problem show up at purely random times.  Mine ONLY happens when I fill the bike.  And as soon as it clears up, never returns until the next fill up.

It actually sounds like a bug in the software to me.  Some random situation that throws the ecm into a loop.  

My question is what the ECM is doing with the fuel level data?  I figure it is damping the signal a bit so it will not jump the needle every time you hit a bump.  It also triggers the low fuel light once a certain OHM rating is reached.  But all that could be done within the gauge, so I am still unsure why they ran it through the ECM.

Bixxer Bob

That logic all checks out.  Mine is the same, it's only after filling up that it plays up for a few miles.  If  it is ECU, then I suspect a bug in the software rather than it being faulty.  Otherwise, why would so many people have the same problem?   I know the ECU is in a vulnerable place on the rear undertray surrounded by holes to let the water and crap in, but it's potted in resin so should be bombproof.  And if the ECU was compromised, it would pretty quickly deteriorate until it failed completely.
Perhaps we should ask Mr Triumph????
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Mustang

Quote from: "Sasquatch"But all that could be done within the gauge, so I am still unsure why they ran it through the ECM.
because it's an OBD II Diagnostic and has to go thru the ecm to communicate trouble codes

Daddy Bear

Hello chaps just another symtom when i turn the ignition on the fuel low light flashes then goes out and syptums are as same confuzzed thanks again DB

Bixxer Bob

Hi DB.  The MIL light should come on when you turn the ing on and stay on until you start her up, then it should go out along with all the other lights except the neutral light (assuming you're in neutral).

Is this still sporadic or is it pretty much constant now?

Daddy Bear

WELL  Hello chaps went in to work yesterday and turned on the  ING  and guess what

ALL WAS WELL !!!!!!!

the fault had cleared and the people cheered

BUT went in to work again today turned on the ING

FAULT WAS BACK I WANT TO SMASH IT when its broke you can fix it will get another ECU to try see what hapens then DB

Daddy Bear

Hello chaps , i have exchanged th ECU and the fault has now gone many thanks for everyones input it has been a great help thanks DB

Bixxer Bob

Well that puts me back in me box, assuming it probably was the ECU and not disturbing the wiring / sockets etc. that fixed the problem.  It does lead on to wondering if a lot of us have ECU faults that we haven't yet diagnosed.  I'll have to start playing with my spare ECU and see what happens  :roll: