News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Rear Shock Lowering on 955 '05

Started by metalguru, February 04, 2011, 03:54:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

metalguru

Ahh Timbox I think a clearer understanding is needed here.
I would quite agree that the tiger I tried was better in alot of ways and it was equipped with a lowered hagon which the adjustments were played with to suit myself best we could but it was bought by a heavier person than myself and the spring rate was calculated for him but not too excessive.
When I started as an engineering apprentice more than a few years ago the industrial proceedures were not in place that we have now and you just got on with the job in hand and although safe working was there it was not as intense as it is now, hence bad back.
Although I could have gone on the replacement aftermarket route I wanted to find an alternative, and strangly enough my shock had 23000 miles on it and the one replacing it came from a bike at 1000 miles, (the one with the Hagon) and the difference is significant, so that clears that point that the standard unit is quite good from new but wears out quickly.
Of interest also was when I took the unit apart the progressive part Triumph quoted is a cone of high density foam on the shock rod which will stiffen the rate when compressed. (yuk) Engineering on the cheap.
Lowering the rear also gives different leverage points and angles which will stiffen the effectiveness of the spring but it was the damping I was originally after to soften the original bump to the suspension and has succeeded to this end.
As can be seen by other postings on this thread another alternative could be fitted by using a low milage 885 unit combined with the 955 spring which could give similar results just by changing the spring.
I was talking to a guy in my area who has just spent the better side of £500 with Hagon to get a custom built shock (shorter) which to some riders is extreme so a cheaper alternative is always welcome even just to banter ideas about and if it works then quids in!!
I must admit that an understanding of engineering proceedures has helped (like molecular structures in metals) a bit, and pressing buttons on a CAD model is progression, there is still a use for lots of heat, big hammers and grinders. lol.
Took 1.5" off the side stand aswell but improved the 'foot' by doubling the area so the bike will not sink as fast on soft surfaces, by making a new foot from plate stock and welding back together.
Even if not compliant in engineering skills any engineering shop will take on the work to acheive this end at a fraction of the replacement shock price, it does not even have to be a Triumph fitment that is modified as there are plenty of late jap bikes in breakers with shocks that would do the job very well with reserch.
Sorry about the ramblings but there is always alternatives to the norm.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.