News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tiger comes home

Started by chairhead, February 22, 2011, 09:51:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chairhead

Quote from: "Chris Canning"I don't see anything on here about even if you have a spark,and at the risk of having the obvious pointed out why was the bike returned home,I can't see anything in your reports  :oops:

Re the second hand pumps I'm amazed stuff like that doesn't get snapped up,even if you don't need e'm they'll be money in the bank in years to come,I did it with my 1100s and I'm sat on a profit margin  :D

Chris,
in January i did the Elefantentreffen and the Tauerntreffen,
at the start of my trip i broke down(#1 coil) and on the return leg the same thing happened near Passau,this time #3 coil,the bike got left at a "triumph" dealership and i had to fly home,monday saw the return of my bike hence this thread,ive had no time to investigate properly as i work during the day,when i get home its dark and i have no power in the garage,its also a bit cramped but i can do some stuff with a head torch,not ideal i know but needs must

I got the pump for the asking price :D so even if it isnt that then ive got a very cheap pump sat on the shelf,i also got a set of coils for £40,billy bargin :lol:

Saturday i'll get all the road salt from Germany off and give it a good clean,
my local Triumph dealer said i could use the Actia :D to read any fault codes and then i shall pull her to bits so its ready for any replacement parts,just hope the weather is kind to me.
03 Girly Roulette Green with a Hedingham ETH
TOR can
Wilbers shock & wasp L/L forks
Taylormade Billet wheel

Chris Canning

Oh right :oops:  i'm with you now.

Have to say before I did anything,it's a fully strip and WD everything and try again,before I changed anything,it's good for the thought process if nothing else!!.

chairhead

Quote from: "Chris Canning"Have to say before I did anything,it's a fully strip and WD everything and try again,before I changed anything,it's good for the thought process if nothing else!!.

I know what you are saying and i also know that i have probably jumped the gun in some respects :oops: ,but having the outfit back and sat in the garage for a week not being able to find and fix the fault because im restricted is very frustrating,im itching to get at it and sort it,
my enthusiasm and patience has the better of me ......at the moment :lol:
TOR can
Taylormade Billet wheel

chairhead

Well the fuel pump arrived,
only to be the wrong one :( i will take the pump off the new unit and place it in the old,05 is different to 03
i did plug the pump in and turn the ignition on and again there was silence,

the four relays i have in the headlight cowl.....what are they for?
headlight
indicator
and what else,and would one of these affect the fuel pump,
im a bit stumped now......not to mention grumpy :lol:
TOR can
Taylormade Billet wheel

Bixxer Bob

First the relays, it sounds like you have the "both lights on all of the time" mod.  If yours is standard, one lamp will light for dip and the other for main.  If someone did the mod ie added two relays, both lamps will be on for dip and both for main.  One relay is for headlight cutout (when you press the starter button the cutout relay turns the lights off to help the battery).

I assume you put 12v on the pump on the bench to see if there's any life in it?  

If you have a multi meter you could check the pump motor winding resistance.  Check the other pump too  as a guide to what resistance you should expect.  It won't be many ohms.

You said you have 12v at the pump connector so it's pretty much got to be the pump.

Edit: sorry, just read it again you said the new pump doesn't turn over either.  But it has volts??  (And a ground.....)
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Bixxer Bob

Just had a look at the wiring diagram.  The pump gets it's 12v from the ign fuse via the alarm bypass plug (or alarm if you have one fitted) it goes to ground through the ECU.

12v to pump also supplies the speedo and rev counter.  Are you definitely getting 12v at the pin on the pump plug that has a green with a red band wire?  Connect between that pin and the -ve on battery with a multimeter or bulb and a bit of wire.  If it's got volts then the fault must be the pump somehow.  Your battery is in good nick eh? (as you can turn the engine over I'm assuming so).

You also need to check the ground is ok.  First repeat the above check, but instead of going from the multimeter or bulb to the battery, go to the black nd purple wired pin on the pump plug.  If you still have volts the ground wire back to the ECU also checks out. If not, look for a fault on the ground wire, it's black with a purple band and goes from the pump plug to pin H1 of the dark grey plug on the ECU.

Hope that makes sense.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

chairhead

Thanks mate,
i'll try some of those tests and see how i go on,if the Ignition relay was faulty presumably i wouldnt get anything showing when i turned the key?
TOR can
Taylormade Billet wheel

Bixxer Bob

CAn't find an ign relay.  Pump isn't on the ign circuit.  Injectors and coils are on the same 12v feed, brown with orange band, also powers the lambda sensor. That wire  gets 12v from ECU fuse.  Coils and injectors all ground through the ECU.

Could you make a list of what's working and what's not when you go play?  It would help work out what's going on.

BTW, clutch switch grounds the starter button to bring in the starter solenoid; sidestand switch grounds a pin on the ECU to tell the ECU whether its up or down.

chairhead

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"CAn't find an ign relay.  Pump isn't on the ign circuit.  Injectors and coils are on the same 12v feed, brown with orange band, also powers the lambda sensor. That wire  gets 12v from ECU fuse.  Coils and injectors all ground through the ECU.

Could you make a list of what's working and what's not when you go play?  It would help work out what's going on.

BTW, clutch switch grounds the starter button to bring in the starter solenoid; sidestand switch grounds a pin on the ECU to tell the ECU whether its up or down.

Ok will make a list,
sidestand isnt on the bike anymore as i dont need it,i have played about with it to make sure it is working,clutch switch is fine,will also buy a multi meter tommorow :oops:
TOR can
Taylormade Billet wheel

iansoady

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"You said you have 12v at the pump connector so it's pretty much got to be the pump.

Edit: sorry, just read it again you said the new pump doesn't turn over either.  But it has volts??  (And a ground.....)

IIRC it's the earth that's switched by the ECU via the relay not the live side so even though you have 12V doesn't mean it's being switched. I'd try a jumper cable straight from the battery to eliminate / confirm a pump problem.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Bixxer Bob

No relay on my drawing Ian, relay is for 885i model.  CH has a 955i no?  If it's 885i ignore everything I said...  :cry:

chairhead

Ok,
so i put 12v to the pump,which works :D ,
at first i thought it was'nt because its so quite,just like a hum,and we all know that quite   isnt one of the characteristics of the Girly pump,
so then i fitted it back to the bike and tried it.....nothing,
power everywhere it should be,one thing that is wrong though and that s the fuel gauge......its working......and its not even plugged in!!!,
ive swapped the relays over from the front to the one under the seat near the fuse box,what is that by the way?,will tackle it again today....maybe more later.
TOR can
Taylormade Billet wheel

Bixxer Bob

The relay near the fuse box is the ECU hold on relay.  Very important because you'll corrupt the ECU trim setting if it's not working and it'll run rough.  When you turn ign off or use the kill switch, ECU keeps power on to itself via that relay, until it's saved all it's trims then it releases the relay and shuts itself down.  Listen for the click about 2 secs after you turn key off.

Edit: I just checked, there are two relays there and I'm in a rush so can't sort which is which for you.  Just touch both lightly and feel for the click after turning ign off. That's the ECU one which you need to be working.

chairhead

Me again!,
so i poped down to my local dealer to ask if i could borrow the Actia and the workshop manual...."i'll bring it back first thing monday morning" i said,
good job i know them :D
well i tried to use it but only got as far as "connection error,retry?"
or words to that effect,so kept at it for a few more times and thought
somethings not right,
so i pulled off the connectors for the ECU...........
i think this might be the problem

where do i go from here? :cry:
TOR can
Taylormade Billet wheel

iansoady

OMG - it's surprising it's been running at all.

I don't know where you can get the connectors but maybe a loom from a breaker might be in order. And crossed fingers that that hasn't caused / isn't caused by a problem in the ECU itself.

The manual tells you which pins do what but in that state any of them could be shorting / open circuit / high resistance.

I'll give you a tenner for it. The whole bike that is......

<edit> just noticed the 2nd pic. I think you need an ECU </edit>
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650