News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tiger comes home

Started by chairhead, February 22, 2011, 09:51:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Stenhouse

OK I'll post this again as link, try talking to these folk, they do car ECUs, they rebuilt one we sent to them that was buried in muddy water on the inside of a shogun! It was toast, came back good as new no worries.

I would guess if they can get connectors then you've got no worries as they will get you both sides then it's just a question of re wiring to the new connector.

Ok heres the link: http://www.the-ecu-doctor.co.uk/

Talk to them and explain, see what they say.

Only question I have is why did it do that?
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Bixxer Bob

At a guess I'd say corrosion on the pins.  Given that almost everything goes to ground through the ECU it wouldn't take much crud to create a high resistance leading to heat leading to burnt plastic....

Certainly is a new one on me though.

Another option is Ebay, any Sagem 1000 will do, as you can use TuneECU to blow in a Tiger map.  My spare came from a 955 Daytona.

Thinking about it Chairhead,  you might not have had a coil pack issue the first time :roll:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

topher0268

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"Another option is Ebay, any Sagem 1000 will do, as you can use TuneECU to blow in a Tiger map.  My spare came from a 955 Daytona.

What year range does that hold true for? In other words, since I'm running a 2000 with the 885 engine could I buy an 01 Daytona ECU and remap it even though it came from a 955?

I have fallen head over heels for this bike and plan on keeping it for a very long time. I'm thinking it might not be a bad idea to have one of these on my parts shelf.
2000 Tiger "Girly in Blue"
1976 Honda CB550 F (getting cafe treatement)

Bixxer Bob

I don't think you have the SAGEM 1000 in the 885.  And Im not sure that Tune ECU works on your ECU either.  I'm afraid I have no knowledge of your model  :cry:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Timbox2

Quote from: "topher0268"
Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"Another option is Ebay, any Sagem 1000 will do, as you can use TuneECU to blow in a Tiger map.  My spare came from a 955 Daytona.

What year range does that hold true for? In other words, since I'm running a 2000 with the 885 engine could I buy an 01 Daytona ECU and remap it even though it came from a 955?

I have fallen head over heels for this bike and plan on keeping it for a very long time. I'm thinking it might not be a bad idea to have one of these on my parts shelf.

Your bike will have the earlier MC2000 ECU, which the Earlier Daytonas also used. Im pretty sure they are quite different looking, 2 plugs on the later ECU, 1 big Plug on yours, but im not 100% on that, BB will know.
Oops, no he wont.
2016 Tiger Sport

NKL

God I have never seen that before, I didn't think that much current whent through the ECU, hence the small pins.
But looking on the bright side, you know whats wrong and it is fixable
I\'m immortal..........well so far!!!
-----------------------------------
\'08 KTM 990 Adventure
\'91 Black XTZ 750
\'10 TM 250 EN
\'07 CCM 404
Renault Traffic 100

KuzzinKenny

Hey topher0268 !! this site should help cross ref parts.....

http://www.originaltriumphparts.info/

Hey chairhead !! Ouch !! that looks like my toast  :shock: but will be repairable  :)

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

chairhead

Quote from: "John Stenhouse"OK I'll post this again as link, try talking to these folk, they do car ECUs, they rebuilt one we sent to them that was buried in muddy water on the inside of a shogun! It was toast, came back good as new no worries.

I would guess if they can get connectors then you've got no worries as they will get you both sides then it's just a question of re wiring to the new connector.

Ok heres the link: http://www.the-ecu-doctor.co.uk/

Talk to them and explain, see what they say.

Only question I have is why did it do that?

Thanks for the info John,
ive decided to go down the Ebay route and have bought a loom and ecu for £130,not bad me thinks as a new ecu is £1200 :shock:
and thanks to all who have helped out,BB big thanks to you for taking the time to try and help me solve this problem,i owe you a couple of pints and maybe you can cash them in at the the annual meet,who knows :thumbsup
03 Girly Roulette Green with a Hedingham ETH
TOR can
Wilbers shock & wasp L/L forks
Taylormade Billet wheel

Bixxer Bob

No worries,  we're all learning, all the time.  It would have taken a long time before I'd blamed the ECU let alone the plugs as they're not a known weak point.

topher0268

Quote from: "Timbox2"Your bike will have the earlier MC2000 ECU, which the Earlier Daytonas also used. Im pretty sure they are quite different looking, 2 plugs on the later ECU, 1 big Plug on yours, but im not 100% on that, BB will know.
Oops, no he wont.

He guys thought this might be helpful to the community. It appears that at least SOME of the 2000 models (885i models 99-00) do in fact have the MC1000. I verified that my 2000 model has the two connector model and the label, though nearly worn away says ST1000 on it. My serial number is in the 90000 range of the model line.

The More You Know  ...  :idea:
2000 Tiger "Girly in Blue"
1976 Honda CB550 F (getting cafe treatement)

Timbox2

Quote from: "Timbox2"Your bike will have the earlier MC2000 ECU, which the Earlier Daytonas also used. Im pretty sure they are quite different looking, 2 plugs on the later ECU, 1 big Plug on yours, but im not 100% on that, BB will know.
Oops, no he wont.

He guys thought this might be helpful to the community. It appears that at least SOME of the 2000 models (885i models 99-00) do in fact have the MC1000. I verified that my 2000 model has the two connector model and the label, though nearly worn away says ST1000 on it. My serial number is in the 90000 range of the model line.

The More You Know  ...  :idea:

Yep, I stand corrected, your right, even says so in the Haynes book of lies Tigers from Vin 89737 went to the later ECM, as you say learning all the time.
2016 Tiger Sport

chairhead

So fellow Tiger riders,
as the black block connector that goes into the ECU/ECM is gash
i thought i would take a closer look and try and see why/what happened,

one squeeze of my Knipex side cutters and it was off :twisted:
i took apart the connector in order to see what wire went where

i can only summise that the gunk is burnt grease,once i removed said gunk,bare wire can be seen

now armed with a workshop manual and the wiring diagram i can see what the most damaged wires pertain to,the first one is

brown/pink=1/H4 =common to all three coils :evil:

Yellow/purple=1/H2 =injector 2

Yellow/pink=1/H3 =injector 1

Black/purple=1/H1= fuel pump :lol:

why this has happend,still dont know,maybe a bit of moisture that could have froze then melted,i will for sure check the rest of the loom,id be fool not to,
one thing i did notice with the block connector.....its french :shock:
TOR can
Taylormade Billet wheel

Mustang

I had a steamer igniter fail once and it was the transistor in the ecu for #1 coil stuck on and it melted the #1 coil just like your lump in your hand , my guess would be that since you melted the epoxy coating its sealed in you possibly have a bad ecu that feeds the coilpaks ........ just a guess though
but dont be surprised if you repair it and it melts down again  THE ECU COULD STILL BE BAD , just sayin ............

chairhead

Quote from: "Mustang"but dont be surprised if you repair it and it melts down again  THE ECU COULD STILL BE BAD , just sayin ............

I will be changing the ECU,
the original is too far gone for me to repair,a second hand one is on its way along with a loom.
TOR can
Taylormade Billet wheel

Bixxer Bob

Is it a Tiger ECU CH?