News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tiger comes home

Started by chairhead, February 22, 2011, 09:51:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chairhead

Yesterday evening the Tigger came home :hello2  :hello2 ,

i had a quick squint to see that all was intact(it was dark)and to be fair

everything was there,my Touratech panniers still locked,the chair seat

locked and untampered with,all the bags and tent were there,my 5 liter

emergency petrol supply.......still there :shock: ,my two crates of
beer..............still there :party ,like i said it was dark and it was

pishing down,i have no power in the garage :( so i put her away for the

night,

this morning at first light i was down to see her,the rear brake was

dragging so i sorted that,i then tried to start her...but nothing,plenty of power in the batteries,the stater motor sounded like it was just spinning :!:

it wasnt like that when i left her,i tried a couple of times again but nothing,
so i pulled the cover off on the right hand side to see if there was any damage to the splines or any other part in there but its mint :?

but as i type this i cant remember hearing the fuel pump kick in at anytime :? Hmmm futher investigation required me thinks,

if anyone can think of where else to be looking then please chip in
cheers
03 Girly Roulette Green with a Hedingham ETH
TOR can
Wilbers shock & wasp L/L forks
Taylormade Billet wheel

chairhead

Ok so some picking and poking done in my lunch hour,
checked all the fuses,checked the connection to the fuel pump
there is power going to the fuel pump but it's decided to give up... i think,
what else could it be???......anyone.
TOR can
Taylormade Billet wheel

John Stenhouse

Can you get 12v to the pump, just see wether it runs?
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

chairhead

Quote from: "John Stenhouse"Can you get 12v to the pump, just see wether it runs?

By that John do you mean 12v direct,would that be ok?,what i mean is it wont fry anything :?:
TOR can
Taylormade Billet wheel

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "chairhead"... then tried to start her...but nothing,plenty of power in the batteries,the starter motor sounded like it was just spinning :!:

By "spinning" do you mean the engine was turning over, or the starter was spinning without turning the engine?
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

chairhead

Hmmmm, :roll:
starter motor spins and i can hear the pistons going up and down,so im assuming the motor is turning over,there is no fuel pump kicking in,dont know if that makes sense :?:
TOR can
Taylormade Billet wheel

John Stenhouse

Yep , makes sense. There was a guy on here a while ago called silver Tiger, he had a breakdown where the AA came out to him and diagnose no fuel pump, the patrolman ran a wire to the pump to get him home.

12V shouldn't fry anything, that's what the pump is designed to run with. No guarantees, but as friend always used to say to me, well what have you got to lose, it doesn't work at the moment, can you make it not work more?

The answer is yes, but I took his point, has been a very usefull adage over the years.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

jwray76

Quote from: "chairhead"there is power going to the fuel pump but it's decided to give up... i think,
what else could it be???......anyone.

Chairhead already has confirmed that the fuel pump is getting power.

Assuming that you are correct and it is getting power and iff you turn the key on and don't hear the pump cranking up to pressurize the system then its dead.

Time to check Ebay for a new fuel pump.

chairhead

Quote from: "jwray76"Time to check Ebay for a new fuel pump.

Ok with that in mind,
is the 03 a specific pump or will other years fit,IE later year models?
thanks for the input thus far :thumbsup
TOR can
Taylormade Billet wheel

NKL

I think there was a thread a little while ago that came to the conclusion that all the pumps are the same its just the backing plate that changed.
I\'m immortal..........well so far!!!
-----------------------------------
\'08 KTM 990 Adventure
\'91 Black XTZ 750
\'10 TM 250 EN
\'07 CCM 404
Renault Traffic 100

iansoady

Quote from: "John Stenhouse".... as friend always used to say to me, well what have you got to lose, it doesn't work at the moment, can you make it not work more?

I like that.

It reminds me of the bit in Zen & the art of motorcycle maintenance where Pirsig talks about the broken 2p screw that makes the bike immobile. It may only be a 2p screw but the bike is worthless with it broken.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "iansoady"
Quote from: "John Stenhouse".... as friend always used to say to me, well what have you got to lose, it doesn't work at the moment, can you make it not work more?

I like that.

It reminds me of the bit in Zen & the art of motorcycle maintenance where Pirsig talks about the broken 2p screw that makes the bike immobile. It may only be a 2p screw but the bike is worthless with it broken.

I worked in the workshops of the RAF for 17 yrs; our terms were always, "It was broke when you brought it in......."

Quote from: "jwray76"Chairhead already has confirmed that the fuel pump is getting power.

Assuming that you are correct and it is getting power and iff you turn the key on and don't hear the pump cranking up to pressurize the system then its dead.

Time to check Ebay for a new fuel pump.

These are long shots, but my pump doesn't spin up if there's pressure in the fuel rail.  you only hear it whine if I've had the fuel pipe off.  It might be worth cracking off the fuel pressure and then trying again before scrapping the pump.  Also, the pump could just be jammed by a bit of debris, it's worth having a look first at that too.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Timbox2

Quote from: "chairhead"Hmmmm, :roll:
starter motor spins and i can hear the pistons going up and down,so im assuming the motor is turning over,there is no fuel pump kicking in,dont know if that makes sense :?:

Is the sidestand switch still present on your rig? If that plays up it stops the pump
2016 Tiger Sport

chairhead

Quote from: "Timbox2"Is the sidestand switch still present on your rig? If that plays up it stops the pump

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"These are long shots, but my pump doesn't spin up if there's pressure in the fuel rail.  you only hear it whine if I've had the fuel pipe off.  It might be worth cracking off the fuel pressure and then trying again before scrapping the pump.  Also, the pump could just be jammed by a bit of debris, it's worth having a look first at that too.

All good points,
ive just come back from the garage after playing with the sidestand switch
but the bike is still the same :? starter motor spins,pistons pumping up and down,i did notice the Temp gauge go up two thirds :?: ,never noticed that before,but no fuel pump :( ,
there is a fuel pump on ebay that i think i'll go for,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT

it maybe that the pump is jammed or some debris is in there but i just hav'nt got the time during the day to get the tank off which is full of petrol,i have noticed the filler drain was blocked when i opened the fuel cap,so water has most likley gone into the tank :evil: ,we shall see on Saturday :roll:
TOR can
Taylormade Billet wheel

Chris Canning

I don't see anything on here about even if you have a spark,and at the risk of having the obvious pointed out why was the bike returned home,I can't see anything in your reports  :oops:

Re the second hand pumps I'm amazed stuff like that doesn't get snapped up,even if you don't need e'm they'll be money in the bank in years to come,I did it with my 1100s and I'm sat on a profit margin  :D