News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

2001 Tiger with original tires....OMG!

Started by Putts255, March 14, 2011, 01:34:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Putts255

Bought the Tiger at the end of last summer (Sep 5, 2010).  Put approx 2,000 km's on it before putting it away for hibernation.  (1,200 miles)

Finally got out to the shed to check the manufacturer date on the Metzlers that are on the beast.  As it turns out they were manufactured the 03 week of 01 year.  So they are 10 years old....YIKES!!!   :shock:

I was not budgeting for new tires but there is no way I keeping them on.  

So my local dealer now carries the Shinko 705's so when the tax return comes in I have yet another item to buy, Hope I have a nice return....I need the Mustang pegs and the tires.

:roll:

:lol:
Father of 2, married 28 years to fantastic woman, lots of toys and still lots of dreams....

"You're never too old to learn new things."
_____
2001 Triumph Tiger - Black

matts23

I know what you mean.  I bought an '02 last April with only 6000 miles.  I just put new Michelin Anakees on it about 2 weeks ago and it is a completely different bike
----------------------------------------------------------

2002 Tiger (Roulette Green)
1996 Honda XR400R Supermoto St. Legal

D-Fuzz

My 1996 Steamer still has the original front tire on it.  The rear isn't a whole lot better, from 2002.  I will also be investing in some new rubber before the year gets going too much.  I just can't decide between a DS tire or some knobbies. :?
Scott

1996 Tiger 885, black

Putts255

Hey D-Fuzz after reading a couple of your posts if you continue to do as much gravel or off highway travelling you may want to go the knobbies.  I have no major gravel planned this year and still not sure I will make the Alaska trip next year or not, so I will be going the Shinko route.  

Was at the local moto shop just after the new year and they said they did not carry the Shinko as stock but could order them in (5 days).  When I stopped by a couple weeks ago and they had 3 sets of what I need on the shelf.  The parts guy said they had a lot of guys asking for them so they ordered 6 sets, so I am good to go.

Good luck.
Father of 2, married 28 years to fantastic woman, lots of toys and still lots of dreams....

_____

D-Fuzz

I rode my DR650 lots on gravel and such with Michelin Anakees on it, never had too much problem.  I might try some knobbies just for the sake of experimenting though.  They will likely burn off if I do too much pavement riding, but that's the cost of doing business I guess.

I plan to ride my Tiger up to Edmonton in May or early June, so I will give you a buzz beforehand, maybe we can hit Timmy's for a coffee.
Scott

1996 Tiger 885, black

Putts255

Sounds good.  Shoot me a PM when the date gets closer....

_____

cosmo

Ahh, Hell, if you can't see the colour of the air inside, they're good to go!!!

My car has, as a spare, an LR78-15 in the boot - date coded 9. My best guess, 1979.

Car is a 1976...

Cosmo
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

KuzzinKenny

Hey Putts255 !! its not the tyres i'd be worryin about but the 10 year old TUBES  :shock:

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

Putts255

Yeah, I thought about that too.   Thats why I will be needin me some new tubes too.  I know I have read somewhere on here about the better tubes to be getting.  I will look it up when the time comes.

Thanks for the reminder.

_____

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "KuzzinKenny"Hey Putts255 !! its not the tyres i'd be worryin about but the 10 year old TUBES  :shock:

KK

Tubes???? what are tubes????  :ImaPoser
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

John Stenhouse

Tubes are those things you hope you are carrying when you bend a rim and all the air leaks out of your nice alloy wheel.  :shock:

Ask Greywolf on ADV I gave him the one I had in the back woods of Alaska, he did another several thousand miles on that to get home
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

D-Fuzz

Quote from: "Putts255"Was at the local moto shop just after the new year and they said they did not carry the Shinko as stock but could order them in (5 days).  When I stopped by a couple weeks ago and they had 3 sets of what I need on the shelf.  The parts guy said they had a lot of guys asking for them so they ordered 6 sets, so I am good to go.

Good luck.

Which shop was that?  I have a friend going up to Edmonton next week, perhaps I can get a set brought back, if the shop still has some.  Do you mind me asking what you paid?  Was it comparable to online?
Scott

1996 Tiger 885, black

Putts255

Alberta Cycle on the corner of 97 Street and Yellowhead Trail.  Not a triumph dealer but I bought my DR650 from them in 2005.

I have not bought them yet but he quoted me right around $180 including the tire tax.  Still waiting for my tax return to arrive in the mail. :D    

He had 3 full sets on the shelf when I was there just a couple weeks ago. And he said he had 2 or 3 more sets in the back.

I can stop on my way home to check and get you an exact price if you want.  

I figure it is a good price for the pair.

_____

blacktiger

Quote from: "John Stenhouse"Tubes are those things you hope you are carrying when you bend a rim and all the air leaks out of your nice alloy wheel.  :shock:

Ask Greywolf on ADV I gave him the one I had in the back woods of Alaska, he did another several thousand miles on that to get home

They also help keep you afloat when crossing fords. :ImaPoser
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

rybes

reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)