News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

WHY YOU LOVE STEAMER OVER THE Girly?

Started by kingdomstyle, March 21, 2011, 05:43:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kingdomstyle

I HAVE OWNED BOTH AN HAVE A STEAMER NOW. IM JUST CURIOUS WHY SOME TIGER GURUS LIKE STEAMERS OVER GIRLIES.I MIGHT SELL MY STEAMER AND GET A Girly OR MIGHT KEEP STEAMER AND GET Girly? JUST THINKING BOTH ARE SUCH AWESOME BIKES?
THANKS FOR INPUT
1999 TIGER black.2008 XR650L,2008 KLX450R

CoolHandLuke

They are the original Tiger.

They are unwieldly to use off road (and on road some of the time).

Because they are a pain in the f**king arse to work on.

And because they are an enormous pain in the ass to work on, it gives great satisfaction knowing that she still runs because of all the work you, yourself, have put into keeping her going :)

Certainly, for me, I find a lot of interest in my bike where ever I go.

D-Fuzz

I like the look of the Steamers better & I like carbs versus FI.  The only downside I have experienced is a lack of aftermarket bits but if you are patient, you can find stuff.
Scott

1996 Tiger 885, black

CoolHandLuke

Quote from: "D-Fuzz"I like the look of the Steamers better & I like carbs versus FI.  The only downside I have experienced is a lack of aftermarket bits but if you are patient, you can find stuff.
+1

Basri...

Last summer, our member "violin" came here to Turkey from England with his Girly, left the bike to me and went to a boat trip for a week.

Therefore i had a chanse to ride and try a Girly. My Steamer is '97 and that Girly i think was '04.

I was expecting something much better than my Steamer but at the first mile, my first opinion was; "a well known, reliable company, Triumph, why could not make any, any improvement at all in 7 years except the look and F.I. only ?.., Don't they have a re-de department ?.. "

I hope "violin" won't be offended, my '97 Steamer feels like more secure, solid and relaible...
Basri,

since 1965...

rybes

i prefer the look of a steamer. never been a fan of the gurlies, they look too much like a creme egg with headlights to me. cant beat the tractorness of a steamer  8)
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

NeilD

Quote from: "CoolHandLuke"Because they are a pain in the f**king arse to work on.

tell me about it, I've had another sweary day in the shed...  :evil:

but back to the original question, I remember trying the original Girly when they first came out  :) when I had a steamer first time round...  I remember thinking it went a litlle bit better, stopped and handled the same/a little better, but wasnt really a huge leap forward, and I prefer the looks of the Steamer

however would like to have a go on a late 955i at some point just to see if I feel the same  :)

JetdocX

BUFF= Big Ugly Fat Fucker

The girlies look like easter eggs to me, too. :lol: The estrogen levels must be higher for Girly owners.
From parts unknown.

kingdomstyle

looks the steamer is better but suspension is so plush on the girlies.great for long distance....anyway to make the steamer feel like that?

D-Fuzz

Send your shock & forks to Sasquatch and get them rebuilt.  I see your Steamer is for sale.  Nice bike, pity you are selling it though.
Scott

1996 Tiger 885, black

JetdocX

IMO, the suspenders on both bikes are shit.  I put gold emulators in the front and aftermarket Penske on the rear of my Steamer.  She's a whole lot happier now.  And I can race sportbikes in the canyons and sometimes win! :twisted:
From parts unknown.

aeronca

cause it's the only one i've owned 8)
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

kingdomstyle

what did the penske shock cost?

JetdocX

Quote from: "kingdomstyle"what did the penske shock cost?

Worth every penny. :wink:
From parts unknown.

nightrunner

+1 on the looks.  In fact IMHO the steamer is among the best looking bikes ever made.  Then I recall the first time seeing the pics of the 99 before it hit the dealers.  My heart sank.
Scott

Seeking adventure and peril