News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Clutch slipping.

Started by Tomas03, March 24, 2011, 03:33:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomas03

Went for a ride today, first in a while and first since I changed my levers to the adjustable kind.  Went to accelerate to hear the lusty engine note and got about 2000 more rpm than expected  :shock: and very little movement for all the engine noise  :cry:

The clutch is obviously slipping, but my bike (a 98) has only 42000km so I was wondering if maybe I might have done something to it when I replaced the clutch lever :?:

Any thoughts??

And if it is just the clutch, are these easy to fix? in the sense of I've changed GSX1100 clutch baskets, but Tiggers have hydraulic units.
Where do you get clutches from and does anyone do a clutch upgrade kit?
Daniel
Home is where the tiger is.

1998 Volcanic Red Steamer
1972 Honda XL250 MotoSport (the original dual purpose)
1982 Kwaka Gpz 550 race bike
1983 Mercedes 230TE wagon tow vehicle

Mustang

I would be looking at the new adjustable lever you put on ...........it is probably actuating the master and thus activating the slave down on the side of the sprocket cover .

And if it is in fact smoked clutch plates they are no different to change than a cable operated clutch . it is still a rod actuated clutch .

Tomas03

Thanks Mustang
I was contemplating this (the new lever) the whole ride and the only thing I could think in relation to it was that the little piston that the lever pushes on might be out of position.  :icon_scratch
Will pull it out tomorrow (the lever that is) and see because to look at the lever is exactly the same as the original, just with an adjustment dial.
Daniel
Home is where the tiger is.

1998 Volcanic Red Steamer
1972 Honda XL250 MotoSport (the original dual purpose)
1982 Kwaka Gpz 550 race bike
1983 Mercedes 230TE wagon tow vehicle

dave NL

You should feel some free play on the handle, if that`s there it might be the plates
Getting the tiger back on the road.