News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Wilbers Transplant( Bumped for Cos)

Started by Timbox2, April 02, 2011, 06:00:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timbox2

Shock on its way to sunny Cyprus, Here you go Cos, hope it helps

So, Its on and test ridden, and yes, its amazing, shows how bad my OE shock was, even when it was functioning OK.

The fitting didnt quite go to plan as you will see.

Firstly with an ally wheel bike the shock will not come out the bottom as I believe it will on the spoke models, it has to come out through the battery area, so after dropping the wheel etc, the battery and box came out.

getting the old shock out and the new one in was pretty straight forward, as was fitting the remote preload, my pre winter maintenance on the lower mount paid off as the spacer came out with not much more than finger pressure.

But then came the positioning of the reservoir, this was my first attempt.

And heres the problem.

Yep, exhaust wont fit back on, I then studied the fitting photograph and actually it shows the reservoir about here.

Problem is the part of the mudguard you can see. So until I get brave with a hacksaw or dremel for now its under the seat, not ideal as the seats have to come off to tinker, but at the moment anyway it feels fine, so this is where it stays for now.

2016 Tiger Sport

daveb

looking good there Tim

metalguru

Looks really great, would be interested in a comparison to the stocker as in ride difference and height.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

Timbox2

Quote from: "metalguru"Looks really great, would be interested in a comparison to the stocker as in ride difference and height.

Im off to Mums in Builth Wells tomorrow(Mothers Day), so should be able to give a more informed opinion then, but even after a quick blast round the block and up some of the local farm tracks I can tell you its chalk and cheese. Feels almost like a different bike, no wallowing or kick just smooth drive over all sorts of surfaces, height feels the same but, it doesnt sag as much thats for sure, so maybe it is a tad higher.
Now It could be my mind playing tricks but it seems to accelerate quicker also, it doesnt squat down under hard accel anywhere near as much as before.
2016 Tiger Sport

Cos

Colour me jealous.

My shock's starting to feel a bit tired so i might go your way soon.

Timbox2

So, after some Mudguard "Fine Tuning", with the tin snips, and some repositioning of the Exhaust can and link pipe, Ive finally got the reservoir where its meant to be, still tight, but tighter the better If I remember correctly :o

And yes, after a blast over the Beacons to me Mums in Builth Wells, impressed would probably be an understatement, it really has transformed the bike, job done :D
2016 Tiger Sport

Chris Canning

Tim

Sorry for the delay,sunning ourselves at the Moto GP in Jerez!!,how the hell anyone rides on a stock shock(finance excepted) I'll never know,but I'd look for another spot for the res,on a decent run it'll get too hot and bothered with the pipe being there.

Timbox2

Quote from: "Chris Canning"Tim

Sorry for the delay,sunning ourselves at the Moto GP in Jerez!!,how the hell anyone rides on a stock shock(finance excepted) I'll never know,but I'd look for another spot for the res,on a decent run it'll get too hot and bothered with the pipe being there.

Its Ok mate, I remembered you were out there watching Rossi play 10 pin bowling with stoner :lol:

Yeah, as for reservoir position I thought about that, but thats where Wilbers advise, and apart from back under the seat which isnt brilliant Im not sure where else to go, the hose aint that long, maybe I could get another mount like the preload one and put it in a similar place off the pillion peg mount, might speak to Gaskell see what he reckons. But yeah, Im a very happy bunny.
2016 Tiger Sport

Chris Canning

Is it long enough to swap with the preload ajuster and put the latter on the right rear foot peg.

Timbox2

Quote from: "Chris Canning"Is it long enough to swap with the preload ajuster and put the latter on the right rear foot peg.

It might be, but I think the banjo's on the hoses would have to be loosened to allow the hoses to point the other way if you see what I mean.
2016 Tiger Sport

rf9rider

Couldn`t you remove the shock  and turn it around?

Timbox2

2016 Tiger Sport

Cos

Quote from: "Timbox2"Bump for Cos

Thanks Tim!

According to Parcelforce, the shock was last seen at Heathrow so it should be here sooner than later. Looking forward to giving the old girl some new legs.

Timbox2

Quote from: "Cos"
Quote from: "Timbox2"Bump for Cos

Thanks Tim!

According to Parcelforce, the shock was last seen at Heathrow so it should be here sooner than later. Looking forward to giving the old girl some new legs.

Apparently was in Larnaca at 8pm last night!!!!!!
2016 Tiger Sport

Sin_Tiger

Looking good 8)

One of our ships is in Limassol just now, I thought I might make a visit but my colleague went instead  :cry:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint