News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Fitting new chain and sprockets , advise required

Started by Tigertriple, April 03, 2011, 10:08:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tigertriple

I am about to fit a new chain and sprockets to my 06 Girly. I have bought Renthal sprockets and a good quality x ring chain.

I am looking for advise on how to rivet the new chain. I have bought a Motrax chain breaker / riveter tool. I have never done this before and do not want to f**k it up. I am okay with everything else that needs to be done to complete this job. Only need help on the riveting part.

Any tips would be good. Thanks.
2006, 955 Tiger Caspian blue with lot\'s of juicy extras

tett

This is really not too difficult.

1/  Take the old chain off.  Don't bother with a chain breaker.  With a small grinding stone on a drill grind off the heads from two pins on a link and then pop off the link.  

2/  Remove chain.  Replace sprockets etc..  Leave the back wheel all the way forward so the new chain will be really slack.

3/  Thread the chain over the sprokets and hook together with the joining link.  Have the two pins pointing to the outside.  Don't forget to grease this up and use the supplied o rings.  

4/  Place the front link plate over the pins.  It probably will not go on far because they do not put much of a chamfer on the holes or pins.

5/  With your press tool slowly press the front plate over the pins.  Press the plate just a little bit at a time and measure the spacing between the back and front plate.  I use a Digital Caliper.  Once the two plates are spaced the same as the ones on an adjoining link you know you have pressed it on far enough.  Don't go too far or you will squeeze the o rings too tightly.  It will take a lot of force to turn the press tool as these links are tight.

6/  Convert your tool for riveting and flatten the heads of each pin.  Using a caliper makes it easy to see when the head is flattened to about the same diameter as adjoining pins.

A bit wordy but this is really simple.  Just go slow.

tett

Quote from: "Tigertriple"I am about to fit a new chain and sprockets to my 06 Girly. I have bought Renthal sprockets and a good quality x ring chain.

I am looking for advise on how to rivet the new chain. I have bought a Motrax chain breaker / riveter tool. I have never done this before and do not want to f**k it up. I am okay with everything else that needs to be done to complete this job. Only need help on the riveting part.

Any tips would be good. Thanks.
98 Valkyrie
71 Commando
06 Tiger

Tigertriple

Thanks Tett,

The info you have given me is a good help.

Cheers :D

outrunner

If you look on Youtube there are a few videos on chain splitting/joining.

Andy.
Every day above ground is a good day!

ChazzyB

Before removing the chain, undo the gearbox sprocket while standing on the back brake pedal. The right-size socket and a 2 ft breaker bar make that a cinch. If you take the chain off first, you will be right-royally in doo-doo.  :lol:
Charles
1971 BSA A65L Lightning
1953 AJS 18S

Tigertriple

Thanks for all the replies. Job now done.