News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Help required. Whinning noise at 50mph + speed

Started by Tigertriple, April 16, 2011, 09:58:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tigertriple

I have changed my chain and sprockets and now hear a whinning noise at around 50mph + speeds. Not sure where the noise is coming from. I have shut of the revs in pulled in the clutch to let the bike coast and the noise is still there, so I don't think it's an engine problem. The noise decreases as the speed drops.

It sounds like a wheel bearing to me, but would value some input on this problem. The bike has just passed an MOT and I cannot feel any free play on either wheel. Is it possible that the chain is making the whinning noise?

The bike has done 16k miles and as far as I know the wheel bearings are original. I am planning to call in to my Triumph dealer next week to let them have a look and listen, however I would prefer to get to the bottom of this without their input. Any help appreciated.
2006, 955 Tiger Caspian blue with lot\'s of juicy extras

Bixxer Bob

What is your chain tension,  Tigers like a lot of slack.... (but not so much you saw through the swing arm)...

Was the noise there before you changed the chain?
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Tigertriple

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"What is your chain tension,  Tigers like a lot of slack.... (but not so much you saw through the swing arm)...

Chain tension is okay and no noise until new chain fitted

outrunner

Quote from: "Tigertriple"Chain tension is okay and no noise until new chain fitted

When you say it's OK is that OK by the manual or OK as in plenty slack? The tension mentioned in the owners handbook is way too tight. I run mine between 40 and 50mm.

Andy.
Every day above ground is a good day!

PeteH

Quote from: "Tigertriple"
Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"What is your chain tension,  Tigers like a lot of slack.... (but not so much you saw through the swing arm)...

Looking at the photos in your other thread I`d say your running a little tight,
I always check for tension sat on the bike and look for 1/2 -3/4"ish of play.
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

cdubya

Tension, Alignment, Lube.
Try adding some slack just to experiment and keep us posted.
06 Girly

Tigertriple

Quote from: "PeteH"
Quote from: "Tigertriple"

Looking at the photos in your other thread I`d say your running a little tight,
I always check for tension sat on the bike and look for 1/2 -3/4"ish of play.

I'll slacken the chain off a bit and see if that helps. I know that Tigers are a bit tricky to set up properly. Thanks to everyone for their advice. I'll post the outcome of adjusting the chain.

Timbox2

Im watchng this thread with Interest as I have had the same thing since I changed chain and sprockets 17k miles ago. I have experimented with chain tension but doesnt make any differrence. Im wondering if its the combination of Renthal sprockets and chain
2016 Tiger Sport

Tigertriple

Quote from: "Timbox2"Im watchng this thread with Interest as I have had the same thing since I changed chain and sprockets 17k miles ago. I have experimented with chain tension but doesnt make any differrence. Im wondering if its the combination of Renthal sprockets and chain

As recommended I have adjusted the chain to give more slack. It now has between 40 and 50mm of play when resting on the centre stand. Also gave it more lube. Went for a 40 mile run and no more whinning noise present. I should also add that I checked the engine oil prior tp the run and it needed to be topped up. All seems to be well again. Fingers crossed that's it fixed. Thanks to you all for your help.  :D

KuzzinKenny

Best test I know for chain tention is..........

remove seat, soften suspention countin the clicks, get 2 BIG mates to sit on the bike, if there's still slack you've knocked it off  :thumbsup

turn suspention back up to where it was and ride !!

when replacin the rear seat make sure you hear a good click !! if not, its not locked and will fly off somewhere down the road !!  :oops:

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

pizzaman383

I just adjusted my chain tension and now I have a whine.  I guess I'll try loosening it a bit and see if it's out of alignment.
PizzaMan383
Black 2004 Tiger

Author: Passionate About Pizza Cookbook

pizzaman383

Quote from: "pizzaman383"I just adjusted my chain tension and now I have a whine.  I guess I'll try loosening it a bit and see if it's out of alignment.

I was able to make the whine go away.  I noticed the eccentrics had shifted a smidge (that's a technical term) to the left of the bike.  It was only 1/32 of an inch to maybe a 1/16th at the most.  I am amazed at the difference it made.
PizzaMan383
Black 2004 Tiger

Author: Passionate About Pizza Cookbook