News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Coolant

Started by pineygroveshop, July 01, 2011, 12:16:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pineygroveshop

Y'all,
I'm gonna have the tank off and thought I would flush the cooling system again while I've got the access. I've been using BMW coolant; but I don't want to pay their price if I don't have to.
Question is:
Which, readily available in the Southeastern USA, over-the-counter (OTC), coolant do you use in your circa 2002 Tiger? Where do you buy it?
Cheers,
Stephen

ChazzyB

I'm in southeastern England and use bog-standard concentrated automotive anti-freeze and mix it myself 50-50 with distilled water. I always check it says aluminium-safe, which it always does... Cheap as chips, as we say.
Charles
1971 BSA A65L Lightning
1953 AJS 18S

Mustang

Prestone or the store brand at Auto Zone ....buy the pre mixed in the gallon jug and pour it in , you will have some leftover .

iansoady

I've often wondered whether OAT (the pink stuff as used in most modern cars) would be suitable. It has a longer life and its supposed to be better for heat transfer.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

walker

I used the prestone 50/50 long life mix - it's phosphate, silicate and borate free...

http://www.prestone.com/learn_more/freq ... _questions

I just use it for all the vehicles (Except the stupid TDI - crappy G12 goofiness) and then I don't worry. Everybody has it around here too. Can typically find it on sale at the auto stores.

man, I need to replace mine. It's old enough now. Geez. I should have done it when I adjusted the valves 2 weeks ago.... oh well, time to take the tank off yet again.

2004Tiger

I use the red stuff (50/50) Toyota sells for their older models. Had some in the garage, works good.
2004 Tiger. Black is beautiful. If I don\'t ride a little every day I get a little crazy.

pineygroveshop

At Mustang's suggestion I'm gonna give a go to the Prestone 50/50.  Local AutoZone has it at $7.50 after instant & mail-in rebates.
Cheers,
Stephen

Chris Canning

Silkolene Pro Cool.

kingdomstyle

honda cool is good stuff :lol:
1999 TIGER black.2008 XR650L,2008 KLX450R

Gam

Engine Ice for me... tried and true and easy to get in the States at any sort of motorsports shop. It's pricey but the convenience is worth it to me since I'd have to run to two stores to get coolant and distilled water to mix my own.

Cheers!