News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

ZUMO 550 wiring

Started by jphish, July 03, 2011, 10:50:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jphish

Other than my hardwired (directly to battery) heated vest cable and charger plug (both fused of course), I have no other accessories mounted to 06' Girly. For purposes of wiring the GPS, why cant one just tap into switched tail light circuit ? There is a Y & B wire from plug under tail assembly. Zumo only draws about 1 amp -  not sufficient to overload / overheat 18-22 ga wires, I wouldnt think. I'm no 'ace' electrition - so just checking my sometimes erronious assumptions, before I proceed to stage 2: frying  the harness. Thanks, j

Mustang

why not hook a relay to the tailight wires and then feed the zumo with direct batt power and the whole mess will be switched when you turn the key on and off and you can't fry your harness

http://www.tigertriple.com/forum/viewto ... +taillight

third reply for wiring diagram

jphish

Well Hell Mustang - That would be way too tidy & professional. But an excellent idea! Thanks for Stretch's schematic. Would Radio Shack likely have such a relay ?

Mustang

Quote from: "jphish"Well Hell Mustang - That would be way too tidy & professional. But an excellent idea! Thanks for Stretch's schematic. Would Radio Shack likely have such a relay ?
AUTOZONE or VIP ,hell any auto parts place should have them .................fookin walmart probably has em too!

jphish

OH NO - Please don't make me go to Wally World! We have a new one being built the size of RI here in microscopic Tumwater - too bad - lots of small businesses wont be anymore. OK - thanks - will look at the other usual suspects. j

Dred

Why don't you want to wire it to the battery?

I know the cradle has the "security" screw to make the mount semi-permanent; however, you're probably gonna bolt the cradle to the bike.  I always figured the guy that wants YOUR GPS is gonna want your cradle too.

The way I figure, it's secure enough for the food stop, but probably not for the parking garage at the office.

oxnsox

Personally I wouldn't tap into any wiring for stuff like lights/indicators horn.  You don't want someone running up your jaxse because your zumo blew your tail lamp......
(well most of us wouldn't)

What every you add, however you add it, put a fuse in your mod. The fuse does 2 things: Firstly it protects you from overlaoding the circuit you've added into, secondly it lets you isolate the mod if it causes a problem later.
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
  If it ain't Farkled...  don't fix it....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mustang

Quote from: "Dred"Why don't you want to wire it to the battery?

wired with a relay instead of direct to battery will make it switched on/off power with the key switch .
Quote from: "oxnsox"Personally I wouldn't tap into any wiring for stuff like lights/indicators horn.  You don't want someone running up your jaxse because your zumo blew your tail lamp......
(well most of us wouldn't)

On a US model tigger
you will be fine with a relay using the power from the taillight (not brake light )
on a UK model with headlight on/off switch your Zumo will only work when the lights are on

Dred

The 550 has its own on-board battery.  I'm wired (fused) directly to battery, so I'm not sure, but ...

I'm not certain killing power to the Zumo won't simply swap the Zumo to battery power if circuit is interrupted by switch.  I know that removing it from the cradle does not interrupt power - just a seamless swap to battery powered operation.  My 550 is 4 years (3 mounts) old, so YMMV if the circuitry has been updated.

I do see the theoretical merit, but I'm not convinced of the practical in this instance.  Now, I clearly see the merit of creating this switched, direct power circuit.  It's justified by general principle.  It will be useful.

Mustang

Quote from: "Dred"The 550 has its own on-board battery.  I'm wired (fused) directly to battery, so I'm not sure, but ...

I'm not certain killing power to the Zumo won't simply swap the Zumo to battery power if circuit is interrupted by switch.  I know that removing it from the cradle does not interrupt power - just a seamless swap to battery powered operation.  My 550 is 4 years (3 mounts) old, so YMMV if the circuitry has been updated.

I do see the theoretical merit, but I'm not convinced of the practical in this instance.  Now, I clearly see the merit of creating this switched, direct power circuit.  It's justified by general principle.  It will be useful.

right but when you shut off switched power to the zumo you won't be sucking juice out of the bikes battery if you leave the gps on .............I would rather have a dead gps battery than a dead tigger battery

tazshido

I wired my Zumo 550 direct to the battery. I want ME to be the one to decide when Jill (as I call her) gets shut off or goes to internal battery. I have left Jill on overnight on my 06 Girley with no ill effects. She draws so little power and I like to have my ride info for the day, time stopped, etc.
Felis Tigris Argentum

Est non aevum, est loginquitas!
Semper Fidelis