News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Coil failure, panic lives here!

Started by Persson, July 10, 2011, 11:10:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Persson

This is the first post in this fine forum!
Karl from Sweden here, in dire straits...

I am supposed to go to Norway next week on the 18:th of July, for a 7day bike trip with my garagemates.
However, some weeks ago my bike, a 1998 Tiger  came down with what  seems to be the dreaded Gills-coil-failure-thing-crap!

Now where to begin..?
First I ordered 3 Nology coils from "New Level motorsports". That was 12 days ago.
First they said "No problems, we have those in stock. Send money and we will be mailing them the coming friday "
I paid and 10 days later got information that they were out of these coils and would not get them until in August...

So I scoured the market just to get the same answer from where ever I turned.
-Nology in USA are out of these coils, waiting for delivery from manufactor in Germany.
-Nology in UK are out of stock.
-All other dealers here in Europe are out.
-1 Nology coil found on Ebay, sold yesterday, and  I could not bid since the seller did not ship abroad...

It seems like there are no Nology coils to be found at all...

So now my last hope lies in the collective knowledge here.
-I know there are coils from other models/makes that could work,

....But which ones? And who has them?

Many Thanks
Karl
1998 Black Steamer, 1961 Panhead

Mustang

PVL coils made in Germany are Nology coils .

worst case scenario ......figure out which coil is duff and just replace the one with a gill , at least you can make the trip that way

Persson

Quote from: "Mustang"PVL coils made in Germany are Nology coils .
worst case scenario ......figure out which coil is duff and just replace the one with a gill , at least you can make the trip that way

Really? So PVL manufactor Nology coils?

That sounds good!
 Do you happen to know which PVL coil I should be looking at, item/model number? I guess it`s not the same as Nology`s item nr...

I found this, could it be the right one?
http://www.pazon.com/ignition-system/PV ... -coil.html

Thanks!
Karl

p.s An original Triumph/Gill-coil is approx 240USD here in Sweden...

Mustang

don't know which pvl's are for the triumph with out tearing a bike apart and that aint happening anytime soon .
several on ebay
heres a small example
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Genuine-Triumph-A ... 43a834df26

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Triumph-Trophy-90 ... 588ed08654

these are brand new buy it now price
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-ignition-coil ... 4623146557

Persson

Ok, Thanks alot guys.
I will check those links out.

Karl

nightrunner

and no one mentioned the option of using the on-plug coils from a TT600.  The coil itself is a bit bigger than a spark plug boot and sits where the boot would.  Gil coils and plug wires are removed and you run extension wires from where the old coils were to the new stick coils on the plugs.  A set of used ones on ebay runs $20 to $40, and since the TT600 is a 4 cyl, you get a spare for free.  They work great.  Several of the members here have them.
Scott

Seeking adventure and peril

JetdocX

I've got two gill coils removed from my bike when I installed the Nology coils.  Want them?
From parts unknown.

Persson

Quote from: "nightrunner"and no one mentioned the option of using the on-plug coils from a TT600.  The coil itself is a bit bigger than a spark plug boot and sits where the boot would.  Gil coils and plug wires are removed and you run extension wires from where the old coils were to the new stick coils on the plugs.  A set of used ones on ebay runs $20 to $40, and since the TT600 is a 4 cyl, you get a spare for free.  They work great.  Several of the members here have them.

Yes, I read about them here on TT last night, that is definitely an option.
-Is there any differences in year models I should be aware of, or will any TT600 "Stick-coil" fit?
 -They just plug in, or do I have to make any other mod. apart from the extention of the wires?

Thanks Nightrunner

Persson

Quote from: "JetdocX"I've got two gill coils removed from my bike when I installed the Nology coils.  Want them?

A million blondes to You and your sons JetdocX!
But as "New Level motorsports" were so kind to not to let me know that they were short on coils until I asked 10 days after the order was supposed to be processed, they rid me of the possibility to have coils sent from the States.
Mail process from USA is minimum 10-14 days unless expressmail is used, and even then it could get stuck with the commies in our customs.

So if I am to make the biketrip next week, I need to find coils over here in Europe.

But I´ll remeber that, should it be so that I don`t make that trip. Then there`s no time issue.

Thanks man!

CoolHandLuke

I have some standard coils here, in the UK.  I have 3, but I would like to hang on to 1 as a spare.

If you can pay the postage, they are yours.

Persson

Quote from: "CoolHandLuke"I have some standard coils here, in the UK.  I have 3, but I would like to hang on to 1 as a spare.

If you can pay the postage, they are yours.

You are cousin with Jesus?
Next time my girlfriend throws things in rage and prays for a miracle to happen, I'll  e-mail her this page!

You have P.M

ArcticTiger

Karl, I have just posted a PM for you.
-09 Triumph Tiger 1050 blazing orange
-98 Triumph Tiger 900 british racing green
-06 Ducati Multistrada 1000 S DS red
-99 Moto Guzzi EV 11 Cali. (Wi, USA)
-00 Yamaha TT600R
You are allowed to have only one wife, but you can ride as many bikes as you want...

Persson

Allrajtytajty! Things are looking up!
It seems like I just might be going after all, thanks to members here at
Tiger Triple.

-First I was offered spare coils from JetdocX.
But since we`re leaving in 7 days and he lives in the States, they would not arrive in time.

-Then I was offered help from 2 other members, more or less simultaneously.
Arctic Tiger was willing to let me have his Nology coils, and buy him new ones when they were back in stock again.
But since it`s impossible to know for sure when they will be on the market again, I had to decline that offer.

At the same hour CoolHandLuke P.M´d me, saying
 "I have 2 spare coils, you want them?"
-He did not even want to accept any money for them!
"I`ll post them tomorrow" he wrote with an English twang!

So faith in humankind got a mighty boos(h)t this week!
..And happiness lives here yet again...

Thanks folks, You made my summer!
Cheers!

Karl

Mustang