News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Dealer Tactics

Started by Festus, July 08, 2012, 07:01:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Festus

Quote from: "Dan"You are probably not a million miles from me, I am happy to help you if you wish.

That's a kind offer Dan.  I live near Kettering, so if nothing else, maybe we could meet up for a beverage and admire each others girlies.  My mate with the Triumphs is a mechanic and says he can get most of the the parts at trade prices, and he'll fit them while I'm away on holiday in a few weeks, so I think I'm pretty much sorted out.  Much appreciated.
"To a full moon on a dark night, and the road downhill all the way to your door."

Dan

No problem at all. And absolutey!
If I was any better, I\'d be twins!!!

2001 Girly = Swiss Army Knife
2010 Blade = Scalpel

Festus

Quote from: "robxxxx"If its the dealer I think it is, then your just down the road from me mate. I'm always happy to help with a big hammer and chisel :wink:
I wouldn't dispute the £60p/h. I'm, guessing but I bet its more or less the same figure as most franchised dealers.  I think the trick is to specify exactly what you want doing as well. No more no less.

Yep, I can see that being the case.  They come up with a list of everything they can justify charging you for, tack on a huge profit margin on the parts, and then empty your wallet on the going rate for labor.  I guess I shouldn't have been surprised.  It was just that my bike was perfectly fine riding it over.  The main reason I took it to the dealer was to establish a maintenance record, oil & filter change, and an overall inspection.  I bought it from World of Bikes in Corby and their mechanics are good, but not specifically trained on Triumphs.

Thanks for the offer of getting your hammer and chisel out.
"To a full moon on a dark night, and the road downhill all the way to your door."

robxxxx

Quote from: "Festus"The main reason I took it to the dealer was to establish a maintenance record, oil & filter change, and an overall inspection.  I bought it from World of Bikes in Corby and their mechanics are good, but not specifically trained on Triumphs.

looks like PT's mechanics  might not be too hot either....

Why worry about establishing a service history. I don't think it would benefit anyone other than the dealer. I think you'll find enough info on here and elsewhere to do most of the stuff yourself. And I don't believe that a bit of paper from a dealer would make a scrap of difference come resale time. I would be more interested in seeing a bunch of receipts from a previous owner to prove maintenance.

I think I remember seeing a tiger over there a while back, was it black or green? can't remember.

Dan

There WAS a black one over there a couple of months ago .. its now in my garage :P
If I was any better, I\'d be twins!!!

2001 Girly = Swiss Army Knife
2010 Blade = Scalpel

Robbie

Please could you ask the service manager to e mail the list of codes for the "reason not won on day"

I would like to see what number:-

Customer laughed out loud!
Customer went for a ride, couldn't be taken for one!
Customer will never be seen again!

However I would like their mechanic to give my bike the once over. he could tell he how the breather seal is doing without opening the cases. should be easy if he can spot split brake seals without taking the caliper to pieces.
Robbie and Mohan the original silver Tiger

Festus

Quote from: "Dan"There WAS a black one over there a couple of months ago .. its now in my garage :P

I was wondering what happened to that one.  I bought the silver one sitting next to it back in November. :D

Festus

Quote from: "robxxxx"And I don't believe that a bit of paper from a dealer would make a scrap of difference come resale time. I would be more interested in seeing a bunch of receipts from a previous owner to prove maintenance.

I suppose since I'm not mechanically inclined I was looking for some reassurance from a Triumph "certified" mechanic that nothing serious needed attending to.  I rode down to Hampton Court a month or so ago, and it stalled at a couple traffic lights, and the idle was irregular.  It started up straight away so I wasn't too concerned.  Just thought a minor service might sort out whatever might have caused it to idle rough and stall after about 1.5 hours at fairly high speeds without a rest.  Plus I wanted to see why the right heated grip wasn't working.

I now know to look here first!  Thanks to all for your comments and offers to help!

robxxxx

Ah yes, I do seem to remember seeing both a silver and a black one over there. The green one I was thinking of was at Nightingales in Rugby some time ago.
Festus, I don't have any formal mechanical backround, I did spend a few years in the high end hi-fi trade. So I can be fairly handy when I put my mind to it. Recently replaced the head gasket on my Pegaso 650. Took me some time. But I do know now that if I had to do it again I could strip and reassemble it in a day. It's just a matter of experience.

Festus

To tie up loose ends, actual repair cost was, parts: £503, mates rates labor: £100, Tip: £147.  Bang! £750 total. Included o/f change. Billy Bargain.

BTW - I think I found out how the "Girly" label came about. She was purring' like a good'un after that  pampering. Melton Mowbray to Market Harborough rocks! The Tiger came alive!

Thanks to all...  F2K

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: Festus on September 04, 2012, 11:23:34 PM
.....Melton Mowbray to Market Harborough rocks! ......

:iagree

As does Oundle to Corby  :thumbsup
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

trophydave

Quote from: Festus on September 04, 2012, 11:23:34 PM
Melton Mowbray to Market Harborough rocks!

It certainly does :thumbsup I tend to go Melton-Market Harborough-Uppingham-Loop around Rutland Water-Oakham then home across the Vale of Belvoir on small back roads.It is about a 100 mile round trip for me.